Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Necromancer 1.10 LOD Skeleton Mages

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by AfroJihad, Feb 13, 2004.

1. AfroJihad

AfroJihad IncGamers Member

Necromancer 1.10 LOD Skeleton Mages

I've seen the skeleton guides stickied here on these d2 forums but I've heard of a build called LOM for the Necro which uses Skel Mages as its main minions and I'd like to try it out. The guides here all seem to focus on melee skeletons and ignore skeleton mages. Any ideas? A LOM guide? or even tips? Any help is appreciated..

-Noob

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Finally! My heart rejoices. Somebody who values the Mage. I am so thrilled. I’ll tell you what I know about the Mages.

There is a small trick in using Mages. The trick is to stop comparing them to Skellies! They work differently. They are Snipers, not Marines. You don't let a battalion of Snipers charge the enemy, right? Hell no! You use Marines. If you try to use your Mages the same way as your Skellies you'll fail.

You can use Mages in two ways. Alone or in combo with other summons. Alone they are more easily used. This is because you can use things as Bone Walls and Bone Prisons to keep monster from harming you Mages. The curses can also be successfully employed. You can use the curse to either increase their damage or to keep them from harm. I'm thinking DV and Attract here. Just make sure nothing can reach your Mages and they'll do fine.

If you want to use the Skellies in Combo with your Mages things get more complicated. This is where you'll sometimes need to sacrifice a Mage or two. You'll need to strike a balance between keeping your Mages safe and making sure your Skellies are doing maximum damage. So try to not use Bone Wall this block a lot of Skellies. Use Prison because you can target single enemies. Be more careful when using curses such as DV and LR. Your Skellies will want Amp so do not be afraid to override DV or LR with Amp. This might cost you a Mage but they can be resummoned.

So the basic Set-up for just LoM would be:

Summoning
    20 SM
    1 RS
    20 Raise Mage
    1 Revive
    1 GM
    1 Clay
    1 SR

P & B
    20 Bone Prison

Curses
    1 All, extra points in the AI curses to get their duration up in Hell.

3. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Important safety tips:

(1) Clay Golem is the best (toughest) tank*. Past about level 8 I think it has more life than the Fire Golem. The slow effect is nice-ish (combine with Holy Freeze Mercenary + Decrepify for slowed down act bosses). But it is all defense and *no* offense. This is important because your Magi have really really bad defense.

(2) If you have +5 or +9 or +11 to Skeleton Mage: DO NOT max Skeleton Mage!! Instead only put in 19 points.

(3) With lots of minions, once you get to Hell you will need at least 75% lightning resist (preferably with some absorb), or higher than 75% lightning resist. This is because even if you spam high level Dim Vision, your minions will spread out and 'awaken' the Gloams/Black Soul type monsters while they are still outside of the range of your DV. Then they will fire piercing attacks at the minions, which will do bad things to your health insurance premiums.

(4) Max your Skeleton Mastery. As you can see from the tables and formulas on the Arreat Summit, points put into Mastery are twice as good as points put into Skeleton Magi. Max it early, and Max it often.**

(5) Consider your mercenary. Might is good for Skeletons, but of course is no good for Magi! Likewise with Blessed Aim. Holy Freeze is some crowd control, but has problems in certain parts of the game (ie Iron Maiden). An Act 3 cold merc is just as good as a Holy Freeze merc in most situations, and better in some. An act 1 rogue could be given a Bow with lots of physical, or elemental damage depending on your needs...

(6) Curses! Foiled Again! Decrepify/Amp won't be as good for you as it would if you were doing physical damage, but of course you have Lower Resist, if you make a heavy investment into it you want a merc and a secondary attack to work with that not against it.*** You might also consider the advantages of Confusion and Attract. I find that Attract _by itself_ is very weak, but with Magi to dish out the damage your mileage may vary. Dim Vision is also good in many situations, just keep in mind safety tip #3.

(7) Watch your Poison. From what I can tell, having multiple Poison Magi (you can tell from the colour of their pom poms what type of Mage they are) is pretty pointless, since Poison doesn't 'stack'. So you probably only want one main source of poison, either you (Poison Nova/Dagger), your merc (from their weapon), or one or two of your Mages (unsummon any extras and resummon them until you have no more than the required number)

(8) Dagger or Nova? If you did decide to go down the Poison path, you would have an interesting choice. You could compensate for a lack of tankage by going the dagger way, or you could assume that your Revives can do enough tanking, and pump out a Nova or two on a regular basis.

Notes:

*Arguably other golems might be better *minions*, but CG is the best *tank*

**NB: this of course is completely the opposite of how a Skeleton based Summoner would spend their skill points, which should make for an interesting difference in playing experience early on.
    It also means that the item 'Undead Crown' is a very good low/medium/high end item for you.
    Because you want Mastery over everything, the runeword 'White' is godly for you. It is definitely worth spending the time shopping for a 2 socket wand with +3 Skeleton Mastery, preferably +2-3 to Mages, and maybe +1 or more to Revive (so you don't need to put points into blood golem and iron golem). With these two items, plus another 4+ from amulet and fetish will put you into the range where you will be making Skelimancers jealous! Of course, if you did choose 'White' over say the Arm of Leoric, then instead of Poison Nova you might consider Bone Spear + Prison/Wall. So you probably want to figure out which way you go so that you know whether to try to trade for Marrowwalks or 1.10 'turn into a vampire thingy' set gloves

***So you might choose to make your build like this:
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    19-20 Skeleton Mage (depending on +skills gear)
    'Lots' Lower Resist
    'Lots' Poison Nova + Synergies
    and of course the one point wonders we all know and love (Curse Explosion, Bone Armour, Golem Mastery, Lower Resist, Revive)

You might actually want to go looking for Lower Resist on a fetish or wand, since that will save you a metric buttload of skill points, particularly if you are going to use something like Death's Web, which already lowers poison resists.

If you found gear with +s to: Lower Resist, Revive and Attract you could save yourself 13 skill points(!!!)

Arguably you could 'pre-buff' using Skeleton mastery Gear, and then have a more aggressive gear set-up, or a MF setup, or defensive (resists).

4. core1000

core1000 IncGamers Member

Bear in mind that when using Pure Skeletal Mages, you must do the following:

1) Max Dim Vision

2) Max Bone Prison OR Bone Wall

3) Not advisable to have a Melee Merc. All the monsters wil focus fire on him.

4) Prepare to spam Bone Prison.

5) Resummon Fallen Skeletal Mages constantly.

You can't do the following:

1) Kill fast as other Pure Type Necro.

2) Stay in one fixed location like using Pure Skeletal Warriors.

3) Use Marrowwalks.

4) Use a melee merc.

5. Mad Mantis

You don't need to MAX DV, just get a grand total of 16 points. For a Merc, get the HF Merc.

Where can I get that kind of skill? Have you h4xXxored Weaken to be like this? :D

6. Lyte_Hammer

Lyte_Hammer IncGamers Member

Why MM..... your not admitting that Weaken actually exists are you?

7. Mad Mantis

Most certainly not. I haven't confirmed anything. I used the word "h4xXxored" to illustrate this.

8. Lyte_Hammer

ahh i see...... i'll make a note of this for next time

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Weaken is for the weak, though alot of noobular's max it to prove how weak they really are.

I like max Skeletons, Mages, and Mastery for my lagamancer. And have only 1 into Revives, though I might do more(so I may lag the other wussy's alot better) .

Barb: Darn Necro....your lagging me

HoS: I only have 12 Skeletons out...stop whinning

Barb: can you cut back on them?

HoS: summons 12 Mages....if your not lagging bad before..you really are now huh?

Barb: stupid m*therf**ker

HoS: Thank you...brings in 9 revives to the Deadman's Party...deal with that.

:drink: to lag... :drink: to making the party mad... :drink: to being a Necro with a fast cpu and dsl... and Mad Mantis with his Mages

HoS

10. Lyte_Hammer

:drink: thats a toast i'll gladly take part in

11. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Since when did you take up french lessons? :scratch:

*toasts HoS* :drink:

:buddies:

12. HarbingersOfSkulls

It's a great day to be a Necro.

"I'm King Of the Lag"

HoS

13. Lyte_Hammer

was there ever a bad day to be one?

14. HarbingersOfSkulls

Um....when your moving and your internet won't be put back on until 3 days afterwards?

HoS

15. Mad Mantis

I think I'll have another beer. I'll :drink: to that.

I'm Dutch. We are forced to follow five years of French when we are in Highschool.

16. Lyte_Hammer

good point.... but thats not just a bad day to be a necro thats a bad day in general.... errr 3 days..... you get the point

17. core1000

core1000 IncGamers Member

The only time when I'm not using my Skeletons is the time when an U'ber Barb with Enigma + BOTD but had a lousy Computer and Connection speed started whining. Since, I can leech exp from his effort in the NM Baal runs.

He must have wasted all his money in eBay to buy Enigma + BOTD, that's why he had a crappy PC and connection speed.

18. HarbingersOfSkulls

I finally got my new boner though ancients today..with no help from a haxxor-necro-wannabe-a-summoner...who only had a blood golem. So, I had to kill all 3 barbs by myself because this chupzilla kept recasting blood-boy and very quickly ran out of mana.

Granted I killed them, he tried to take credit for all 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then after that, tried to do baal runs. And asked for worldstone wp, a noob drood said take the wp...after laughing at his flea-bitin' @ss told him I would if I had it.

Waited a few more seconds...and asked again. After getting no tp or answer, decided to do that rum myself(with my venomancer). All the party invited me(which I refused) and killed everything along the way...got to throne way before they did...and had baal killed before any of them got to the throne.

It was a good run by me(found a gull)

HoS

19. Mad Mantis

Goddamned HoS, use the term Bonemancer. All this talk about "Boner's" and "Wand waving" is distrubing.

20. HarbingersOfSkulls

k :drink:

HoS