Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Near full Shadow Sin?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by ninjakiss, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ninjakiss

ninjakiss IncGamers Member

Near full Shadow Sin?

I'm planning a new build that does NOT include any martial arts, and the only trap skills i want are blade fury and wake of fire. that being said my plans are:

claw mastery 20
    weapon block 10
    fade 10
    venom 20
    shadow master 20
    COS 1
    MB 1
    blade of fury 1
    wake of fire 1
    all prereqs

I plan on having resist charms as well as +skills and mana/life. i'll be looking for +3 shadow claws down the road as well.
    1. Does anyone think i should invest any points in fireblast??? :scratchchin:
    2. and do you see any potential problems with this build in hell?
    3. does burst of speed affect how fast i use my claws or how fast i can cast wake of fire and blade of fury?

2. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Re: Near full Shadow Sin?

Fireblast is probably not a good idea, since it won't be synergized. Fade deserves a max imo, to get 20% damage reduction. And why the wake of fire? Blade shield is probably also good as a one-point wonder, since it will venomize all enemies around you every second.

3. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Maybe wake of fire for stun-locking, but its use in pvm seems limited. It's a prerequisite for Blade Fury anyway.

I think you shouldn't go with +3 shadow claws, simply because you're maxing claw mastery (also because you use Blade Fury). Consider Bartucs and/or Jade.

Not wanting Death Sentry may make you much slower in Hell...

3. Yes for all.

4. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Nope, BF has a constant speed for 6 frames per blade if that's the way the question was meant. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure about the starting animation though.

Compared to superdave's passive zon I see no problem :scratchchin:

5. ninjakiss

wake of fire for stun lock purposes. WAIT---i thought blade shield is for style points and pretty much worthless(??). If it isn't worthless, how many points do u suggest investing in it?

sorry, but could you s-p-e-l-l out what Bartucs and Jade is? are they claw weaps? do you know if they are expensive or super hard to find?
    i just thought maxing claw mastery would make my claws that much more lethal since i don't intend on using any traps and only 1 point in blade fury.
    As far as being slow, i forgot to mention i'll be (hopefully) using Enigma armor. will that still be slow?

:crazyeyes: hmmm....getting conflicting views on burst of speed and it's affect on (a) weapon attack speed; (b) casting wake of fire; (c) casting blade fury.

Can anyone clear this up?:scratchhead:

Another thing: I can't go wrong with investing more into weapon block, right?

6. Scudstorm

1pt. Unless you want better duration.

Bartucs: Bartuc's Cut-Throat Greater Talons.
    Jade: Jade Talon Wrist Sword.

If you have a MF char, both are very easy and cheap to get. If you play totally untwinked and don't have any kind of MF char, you'd have big trouble finding them. Both can be traded for with pgems, unless eth/perfect. And yes, they are claws.

Claw mastery will never make any claw "lethal". Assassins do not rely on their claw's physical damage to kill things, and when they do, +3 shadow magic claws are still pathetic dmg-wise.

By slow, I meant slow killing speed. Death Sentry = Corpse Explosion = Boom!!!

Why nigma? That's a very poor choice of an armor for your kind of build, especially considering you have next to 0 fcr.

BoS does affect weapon attack speed and trap laying speed. Although I'm not sure about BF now.

You can go wrong with investing more into weapon block. For most sins, 1pt +skills is plenty. If not, aim for ~60% after +skills. Maxing is usually a waste.

7. ninjakiss

i'll have to try out DS to see if it like it first. I just chose enigma cus i saw the WW ghost assassin build and it seemed logical to be able to move around like that dealing some damage.
    what armor(s)/boots/belt/gloves/helm/amulet/rings do you suggest for my build, then? :scratchchin:

It seems like i now have to take points away from Claw Mastery, too? :dopey: Correct me if i misunderstood, but are you saying maxing claw mastery is okay if i do NOT use +3 shadow skill claws, and instead use the claws you suggested? Otherwise it seems like almost every sin build is maxing CM.

If you say BOS is good for attack and trap laying speed, why would i need FCR for my build? Thanks for the advice on the weapon block btw.

8. Scudstorm

If you don't have anything against DS, by all means get it for PvM. Especially since your build isn't very tight on skill points.

The WW Ghost assassin is a PvP build. Yours sound pretty much PvM except for the Wake of Fire part... If it's PvP, though, skip over DS (unsynergized and no corpses = crappy dmg). BF wouldn't work well either: Guided Arrow is by far superior. In comparison, BF would offer a less-than-mediocre performance.

You can max Claw Mastery if you have the points to spare. Keep in mind that those points are mostly for AR and critical chance. Pure Ghosts do max it because they want claw dmg and they don't need the points elsewhere, so if it's your case too, go ahead.

+3 shadow claws, on the other hand, are for pre-buff switch only. You definitely do not want to have them on while you swing at the enemy. Even eth elite claws with a big ed% do small dmg compared to other weapons (just look at Grief...), +3 shadow with no ed% just wouldn't cut it, either PvM or PvP.

I only know two builds who max CM: the Ghost, and the Pure Claw/Venom assassin. You won't see PSers, kickers, trappers or Flashdancers max CM :)

FCR is for teleporting with Enigma. You need FCR if you plan to teleport.

As for your gear, I can't suggest anything before knowing if your build is PvM or PvP. But one thing is sure: don't go nigma if you're PvM. Your build lacks a big source of damage, and getting FCR equipment will severely limit your gear choice.

9. ninjakiss

thanks for the info!! i forgot about the pre-buff thing. what is a PSer? I dont know anything about the Flashdancer build and will have to look that up.
    My build is for PVM btw, sorry didn't include that earlier. Knowing this which gear can you recommend now? suggesions for a DS and non-DS build, please :nod:

10. Beamup

Beamup IncGamers Member

PSer = Phoenix Striker

11. GalenDoUrden

GalenDoUrden IncGamers Member

Just as a note it's all skill points in fade (hard and +skills) that give the dr bonus. Also Blade fury is a set attack speed, so it is not affected by BOS.

12. Scudstorm

Nat set would be a good idea: your build does not involve kicks, so the Mesh Boots aren't a problem; and you don't need the stack of +skills a trappers wants, either. ITD from Nat Mark can be very handy. But since you'll be doing dmg to stuff with either normal attack or BF, AR is needed for bosses. I'm not a big fan of Angelic's jewelery, so I'd say max CM.

Your dmg comes mostly from Venom, Open Wounds and Crushing Blow. There is some half decent claw dmg too, of course, but your gear shouldn't aim at optimizing it. If you run Fade, you wouldn't need DR on your belt slot; but if you run BoS, consider String of Ears. Its leach added to the Nat set's would make you harder to kill.

Definitely get a Raven Frost. Only sins who may want to skip it are trappers. But as Nat Set already offers most mods you want for your sin, Angelic ammy + ring could work for the empty jewelery slots. Anything would work, imo.

Take a look at the Shadow Walker guide. Your sin is quite similar.

13. remladen

remladen IncGamers Member

I decided to also make a pure shadow sin. No points in any other skill tree just for fun. I also wanted to use Nat's Set.

She's only lvl 30 now but slowly leveling her.

My Skill plan:

20 Venom
    20 Master
    20 CM
    20 MB
    ~5 WB
    ~10 BoS

Since I'll be using full Nat's that already gives lots of resists and damage reduction, I shouldn't need Fade. So that's my reasoning for the points in BoS.

The gear I planned to use:

Full Nat's
    Bartuc (I have an eth up'd one that I might zod)
    Dracul's
    String of Ears
    Ravenfrost
    Bk
    Highlord

A1 Merc:

Faith
    Vampire Gaze
    Fortitude

Is there anything that seems wrong here? Any suggestions are very welcomed as this is my very first sin that I'll play seriously.

14. Scudstorm

I would put more into WB and less into MB. Lvl 5+7 WB is 52% chance, but slvl 26 will get you to lvl60%. I guess you'll be using a few shadow skillers, so it's not very hard to hit. You don't necessarily want a high chance to convert with MB, as it's an area skill.

15. remladen

remladen IncGamers Member

I currently have 1 shadow skiller, will get more after I finish getting my merc gear, that I don't have yet apart from the gaze. I also have a torch and will get an anni.