Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NBA Playoffs 2008

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Calcipher, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Calcipher

Calcipher IncGamers Member

NBA Playoffs 2008

Code:
    [B]West[/B]
    (1) Lakers* vs. (8) Denver
    (2) New Orleans* vs. (7) Dallas
    (3) San Antonio* vs. (6) Phoenix
    (4) Utah vs. (5) Houston*

[B]East[/B]
    (1) Boston* vs. (8) Atlanta
    (2) Detroit* vs. (7) Philadelphia
    (3) Orlando* vs. (6) Toronto
    (4) Cleveland* vs. (5) Washington

* indicates home court advantage
    So it's finally back. This thread is for anything basketball. Who are you rooting for? Have any predictions for the first round? For the series? What about the post-season awards?

I am a Jazz fan, and I'm extremely happy with the match-ups thus far. I'd much prefer to play a Yao-less Rockets team than an experienced Spurs team. I don't really expect the Jazz to go all the way this year--they are still young, but they can hold their own (especially in Salt Lake City). I expect them to go to the semis at least. But probably not further than the Conference Finals. But I will hope for the best for my team.

And how about the Spurs/Suns match-up? Should be a very entertaining watch, considering all the controversy from last year. New Orleans/Dallas will be interesting too--an inexperienced higher seed team versus an experienced lower seed team. I think Dallas may take it in 6 or 7. Lakers/Denver will most likely be a blowout in Lakers' favor. Maybe Denver will steal one. And I don't care about the East. Probably will end up Boston/Detroit in the conference.

How I would distribute the awards:
    MVP: Kobe Bryant (conflicted since Paul leads the league in assists and steals, but still, Kobe has led his team to the top and is the best offensive player in the game right now)

Defensive Player of the Year: Marcus Camby (his stats say it all; but Josh Smith is an honorable mention)

Sixth Man: Manu Ginobili (can't compare any others statistically)

MIP: Hedo Turkoglu (he was amazing this season--helped lead Orlando)

ROY: Kevin Durant (Al Thornton and Al Horford were great too, but nobody compares--yet)

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Re: NBA Playoffs 2008

First off, I am very disappointed that the Warriors could not win their game... But still, if they had made it they would have been wiped out.

On the Western Conference, i believe that the Spurs will take it home. The Suns may have a chance if they play their A game. But I'm rooting for the Spurs. The Rockets are still a nice competition but without Yao they seem really in a bad position.

On the Eastern Conference, the two dominating teams are Boston Celtics and Detroit Pistons. Celtics have dominated this year, but they are still a new team. Detroit has five years of experience or so with their starting line up, I think in the semi-finals it'll be Boston vs. Detroit, and whoever comes out of that will be Eastern winner. Whoever comes out of the East will be the champions actually IMO..

3. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Go Spurs! But yech, that's the one team I did not want to see us playing in the first round. Whatever, we'll win anyway. Then we'll beat New Orleans and then the Lakers and then Boston. Ain't no thing.

4. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

El gran estado de Tejas representin' in the NBA playoffs. Booya.

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I am fan of Denver and LA LAkers. On the east I like Cleveland and Washington. GRR.

6. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Alright so let's see -

In the West, I think that the Lakers will manhandle the Nuggets. I just don't think that Denver has much in the way of scorers after Iverson and Anthony, and certainly nobody that's as dynamic as Kobe and Gasol. Lakers in four or five.

I think that New Orleans can slide past Dallas into the second round. Chris Paul can outplay Kidd, which will give them a fighting chance. It'll help New Orleans if Dirk Nowitzki can manage to pull off his perennial playoff disappearing act. Also, since Dallas unloaded a few of their centers, Tyson Chandler should have a nice series in the paint. New Orleans in six.

Calcipher's right about the Phoenix/San Antonio series. I'm honestly not sure who's going to take this series. Phoenix built this team to beat them, and I think they have a chance too. The x-factor of this series is how Phoenix deals with Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker. Barbossa and Bell are going to have to guard one of them, and help Steve Nash with Parker, since Nash isn't a strong defender. I see this series going seven games.

I also agree with Calcipher on this one. I think Utah will take the series without too much difficulty. Houston doesn't have anyone to counter Utah's best players, in Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer. Utah in five.

Now to the East:

Boston has been rolling over opponents while limiting the minutes of the Big Three, so I don't really see Atlanta giving Boston too much trouble if they decide to give their stars some extra playing time. Boston in four.

Philadelphia doesn't stand a chance against Detroit. Detroit in four or five.

As for the other four teams, any of them could win or lose on a given night. Cleveland needs Lebron's teammates to show up at the game, and actually play. Orlando needs big games from Dwight Howard and Hedo Terkoglu.

I fully disagree with Calcipher's assessment of the MVP award. I don't think Kobe should win. The MVP is not the best player producing for the best team, which is Kobe. Kobe's award is the Most Outstanding Player. The MVP is about the player who makes his team and teammates better. When Kobe doesn't play, his team may lose more, but somebody steps up and his teammates average more points per game (individually). However, when Chris Paul doesn't play, his teammates under perform. Paul has accomplished more with a lesser supporting cast, and even helped West become an all-star.

7. WzWz

WzWz IncGamers Member

I'm glad Celtics get a free sweep first round so they can get plenty of time to prepare for the second round. When they win, do they face the winner of WAS/CLE or just the lowest seed? The WAS/CLE situation really scares me since they seem like the two teams that Boston has had the most trouble with this year. For the West, I'm rooting for Denver. I like Utah a lot too, but they can't win a decent game on the road.

The improvement of the Lakers can be attributed to acquisitions such as Pau Gasol and the growth of Bynum, so I don't think Kobe deserves MVP any more than he did last year. On the other hand, the improvement of the Celtics basically hinges on Kevin Garnett. Chris Paul sucks at defense too much for me to consider him a legitimate MVP. His nice looking numbers in steals are mostly from playing gamble D. For me, it's basically down to Garnett and James. Bias would choose me to pick Garnett, but James probably deserves it the most.

Stats are deceiving for this. I have always thought Marcus Camby is a complete animal and definitely deserved to be and all-star, but upon reading a few articles, it seems like analysts generally agree that he's not nearly as good as defense as his stats may indicate. I don't think I watch enough games or pay attention to defense enough to make a good choice for this one.

Yeah, he's way above the competition, but it feels really cheap to give him the award since he is obviously starter quality but just chooses to come off the bench.

I agree. Though, I will say that I think Jose Calderon is pretty close. I really like that guy.

Yep

8. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

east semifinals will be interesting bos-cle

predictions:

(1)Lakers* vs. (8) Denver - Lakers
    (2) New Orleans* vs. (7) Dallas --> new orleans
    (3) San Antonio* vs. (6) Phoenix --> phoenix
    (4) Utah vs. (5) Houston* --> houston

East
    (1) Boston* vs. (8) Atlanta --> boston
    (2) Detroit* vs. (7) Philadelphia --> detroit
    (3) Orlando* vs. (6) Toronto --> orlando
    (4) Cleveland* vs. (5) Washington --> clevelend

Lakers vs houston --> lakers
    phoenix - new orleans --> phoenix

boston - clevelend --> boston
    detroit - orlando --> detroit

lakers - phoenix --> phoenix
    boston - detroit --> boston

phoenix - boston --> phoenix

9. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

Go Spurs! :thumbsup:

10. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

Hoping for that replay game, Lakers-Celtics
    Lakers Win!

11. th5418

th5418 Banned

The Lakers are a boring bunch to watch though...

12. kavehtabriaz

kavehtabriaz IncGamers Member

iam a laker fan but it seems Celtics has more guns

lakers are fourth in scoring , spurs are boring too much defense.

13. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

I will take a workman team win.

14. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I don't understand the hype around Garnett. Boston plays good collective defence this year, Garnett helps a lot, but he doesn't mean so much for his team, they would win lot of games without him.
    Another thing I don't understand is why the MVP has to be recruited from most successful teams. Where would be Cleveland without LeBron? Behind Miami? I think Lebron or CP3 should get MVP.

Yeah, we are on the same side here. But Camby is my favorite player, so I think he deserves it (and I drafted him in few of my Fantasy leagues and he was a beast in Fantasy games). I also like his blog.

You are right, but he probably didn't choose that. His Coach did?

Agree with Turkoglu, I don't agree with Calderon, because he was amazing last season too, but he just didn't get those minutes and responsibility behind T.J. I think Toronto plays worse now with T.J. than they played without him. My honorable mention would go to Bynum, it's really sad for him that he got injured.

15. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Ginobiliiiiii! Oh hell, that whole damn game was incredible. I cannot believe Duncan sunk a 3 point shot.

16. Calcipher

So here's an update:

Code:
    West
    [U](1) Lakers* vs. (8) Denver[/U]

[U](2) New Orleans* vs. (7) Dallas[/U] [[[NO leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]NO 104[/B], Dal 92

[U](3) San Antonio* vs. (6) Phoenix[/U] [[[SA leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]SA 117[/B], Pho 115 (2OT)

[U](4) Utah vs. (5) Houston*[/U] [[[Uta leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: Hou 82, [B]Uta 93[/B]

East
    [U](1) Boston* vs. (8) Atlanta[/U]

[U](2) Detroit* vs. (7) Philadelphia[/U]

[U](3) Orlando* vs. (6) Toronto[/U]

[U](4) Cleveland* vs. (5) Washington[/U] [[[Cle leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]Cle 93[/B], Was 86

Very exciting for the opening day!

Cleveland/Washington was fairly dull in my opinion, with the exception being some of LeBron's highlights (more specifically the alley-oop from a kinda bad pass from Gibson). It's going to be a tight series, though. LeBron and his role players versus Washington's big 3. Just think how far Cleveland would go if they had an all-star big man (like Carlos Boozer...haha).

San Antonio/Phoenix was the best game of the day. I was getting ready to go shoot around myself towards the end of regulation, then Finley had to come off that pick and nail the shot, so I think to myself, "alright, I'll sit through OT." Then DUNCAN of all the Spurs on the court, nails a three to force another OT. Christ. Good thing for the Spurs they had Kurt Thomas out there. Thomas, in my opinion, was the hero for the Spurs by getting Amare out of there. This series will be sizzling until the end.

New Orleans/Dallas... I missed most of the game since I was out playing, but I came back to see some of Chris Paul just orchestrating the game. This series doesn't really interest me, but I suspect it will go to seven, and ultimately Dallas. And I'm grounding this just on their playoff experience. But they have been known to choke, so anything is possible.

Utah/Houston I watched from start to finish, of course. Glad to see the Jazz controlling the boards all game long (thanks to a limited Mutombo and Yao-less Rockets team). Careless mistakes for the Jazz though. I'd like to see them get more concentrated and aware of what is going on--it would save possessions. A great plus that they won in Houston, too. Their fans didn't seem too serious to support their team, seeing as most of them were gone halfway through the fourth. Support your team to the bitter end, Houston!

17. th5418

th5418 Banned

The spurs and suns game was exciting. First three pointer of the year for Duncan.

Jazz and Rockets, I figured the Jazz would be winning.

18. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

So much for Phoenix's plan to put Shaq on Duncan. :jig:

19. Calcipher

Day 2:

Code:
    West
    [U](1) Lakers* vs. (8) Denver[/U] [[[LAL leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]LAL 128[/B], Den 114

[U](2) New Orleans* vs. (7) Dallas[/U] [[[NO leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]NO 104[/B], Dal 92

[U](3) San Antonio* vs. (6) Phoenix[/U] [[[SA leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]SA 117[/B], Pho 115 (2OT)

[U](4) Utah vs. (5) Houston*[/U] [[[Uta leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: Hou 82, [B]Uta 93[/B]

East
    [U](1) Boston* vs. (8) Atlanta[/U] [[[Bos leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]Bos 104[/B], Atl 81

[U](2) Detroit* vs. (7) Philadelphia[/U] [[[Phi leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: Det 86, [B]Phi 90[/B]

[U](3) Orlando* vs. (6) Toronto[/U] [[[Orl leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]Orl 114[/B], Tor 100

[U](4) Cleveland* vs. (5) Washington[/U] [[[Cle leads series 1-0]]]
    Game 1: [B]Cle 93[/B], Was 86

Orlando/Toronto game: Only saw a few minutes, here and there. First I saw how Orlando built a 20-some lead early, but when I checked again it seemed Toronto had closed in. I saw the final few minutes and it was obvious Turkoglu and Dwight were a little too much for the Raptors. I like both the teams--both with a star big man and a bunch of perimeter players to spread the floor. Fun times.

Los Angeles/Denver game: Again, only saw a few parts (had work to do), but from what I saw it appeared Denver still lacked defense, and they were overwhelmed. I saw AI get ejected too. They can't afford that. If it's going to be like this all through the series, it'll just be disappointing. At least GS would've put up an exciting series (maybe).

Detroit/Philadelphia: Whoa. What a shocker. B-b-billups missing TWO FTs consecutively?! And then going 1-2 just a minute later? Wow. I don't think it'll phase them though. Detroit will bounce back and most likely take the series.

Boston/Atlanta: Yeah. Nothing to say here, really. I'm pretty sure everyone saw this coming.

20. Gagge

Gagge IncGamers Member

Well, did you watch the Celtics play last year? That team was just... awful. I have read so many interviews with guys like Paul Pierce, and they all say the same: "KG turned us around". I have to say they should know the best:) And the fact that they set a new record in most improved team(a 42-game swing or something like that) doesn´t weaken that thinking. However, I would rather see Paul or Kobe(that hurt!) winnning this years MVP, with Paul barely getting it.

Stats are always important when trophies are handed out. Guys like Rasheed Wallace, who play outstanding on the ball defense, rarely gets as much recognition as weak-side defenders who blocks a lot of shots. Just look at Ben Wallaces demise as an elite defender after leaving Pistons and Sheed.

This year, yes. It seems to differ on yearly basis, though. Sometimes Manu asks for it, other times Pop asks if he´s fine with it:)

Bynum would be a good choice, as would Calderon be. I think the skilled turk is to old to win the award, and in his case it´s mostly about a larger role(more minutes) rather than actual improvment.