Navy offically Retires the F-14 Tomcat.

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
Raistlin Majere said:
From what I have heard, alot of Tomcats are being sent to the Graveyard not to be scrapped, but to be stored until the Navy can find "homes" for them.
Translation:
We're calling it a retirement but it's really a mothballing. The Tomcat is too good of a plane to just scrap when we're so close to a full blown global war.

Johnny

Banned
Does anyone remember what happened to all those mustangs they "retired"

Im sure they will use those any day now.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Aw, I liked the old Tomcat. It is to the Hornet as Big Bird is to Elmo. Damn upstarts.

LOL, Iran is the only one still using them...

MageChick

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, the F/A-18's really have short legs. But now that missle and radar ranges have increased I guess that's not really required.

Who didn't watch Top Gun as a kid and want to go fly F-14's?

Stoutwood

Diabloii.Net Member
About damn time. The seem to have deaths due to some mechanical failure every other week in those things.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
the f-22 raptor has been in development for over 10yrs iirc, its about time they upgraded the airforce and navy's jets imo

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
The F-22 is a very nice plane, but also very expensive. The bulk of planes from the services is more likely to be replaced by the F-35, which is much more affordable.

The F-35, coming to a theatre near you! (Get it? LOL)

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
SaroDarksbane said:
The F-22 is a very nice plane, but also very expensive. The bulk of planes from the services is more likely to be replaced by the F-35, which is much more affordable.

The F-35, coming to a theatre near you! (Get it? LOL)
Latest reports priced the new raptors at $235 million.

Boy those B-2 bombers at $500 million don't look as expensive as initially thought.

And F-35s coming in at $40 million per copy looks like a steal.

jimmyboy

Diabloii.Net Member
Raistlin Majere said:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-09-22-F14-tomcat_x.htm

One of the most reconized warplanes of all time is cerimoniously retired. It is to be replaced by the F-18 Super Hornet.

From what I have heard, alot of Tomcats are being sent to the Graveyard not to be scrapped, but to be stored until the Navy can find "homes" for them.

A tribute To a former Cold Warrior
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7069648842128183770&q=f-14

I think aircrafts that are retired are usually wrapped up and stored somewhere outside of Las Vegas. There's a gigantic junkyard out there. We've still aircrafts like the relic Phantoms from the 60s. They can still fly. In fact, we generally use them as target drones to live test missiles on them.

As for the Tomcats, I bought into its myth too until I read the latest book on it's maiden tour. It would appear that it wasn't the Tomcat that was amazing, but the Naval Aviators performing near-miracles in them.

There are stories of how the RIO (radar guys in the back seat) normally carry fuses in their pockets in case the Tomcat burns a fuse in the middle of flight. If so, he reaches in the back of his seat and plugs in new fuses, sometimes to get their Cat to relight the engines.

It's amazing to read up on stories of the stuff that naval aviators had to do in midflight to keep their Cat from falling into the ocean.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Evil Conservative Inc said:
I think that report was written by a liar and a crook.
Depends on how you look at it.
Wikipedia said:
By the time all 183 jets have been purchased, around $28 billion will have been spent on research and development, with an additional $34 billion spent on actually procuring the aircraft. This will result in a cost of about $339 million per aircraft. The current cost, or "fly away cost" for one additional F-22 stands at about $137 million.
So the $399 million per craft also divides in the program cost, whereas the plane itself "only" costs $137 million.

Ron Burgundy

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't look at an F-14 without thinking back to that homoerotic volleyball scene in Top Gun... It will be missed.

skihard said:
yeah that is a nice bird, but eventually the old ones have to retire.
Yeah, but what about the B-52? Don't they have a projected retirement in 204x? Something just short of 100 years of being in service, IIRC. I thought that one of the major problems with getting new planes are the fact that they are just so damned expensive.