Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Navies of the world.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steve_Kow, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Navies of the world.

How would you rank the various navies in the world? I assume the U.S has the strongest, but who has the second? And how big is the gap? Is the U.S stronger (or is it even the strongest?) than the second and third most powerful combined?

Based on the following criteria:

1. The ability to engage and destroy enemy ships at sea.
    2. The ability to conduct operations far from domestic ports.
    3. The ability to control civilian shipping (enforce a blockade, protect your own merchant ships et.c)
    4. The ability to destroy targets on land.
    5. The ability to withstand land based attacks.

Just interested in starting a conversation.

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Warning, poor taste ahead:

If we're basing it solely on the number of ships being put to sea, I'd have to vote Cuba.

*rimshot*

/poor taste

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

3. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I don't think this equasion should include Chevys with their doors sealed with silicon glue. :)

4. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Oh, come off it. This was the coolest thing EVER.

5. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

7. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

nazi germany had a pretty killer u-boat sect

8. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

The US Navy is more powerful than all the world's navies combined. France is the 2nd strongest. Then a possible tie between G.B. and India. Russian's glory died with the cold war (the equipment is still there, but no competent crew). I think only a few other navies have flattops - Italy, Spain, Thailand, Argentina.

But it's not just from tactics, technology or weapons. Naval operations are naturally logistical challenged. And part of our dominance is from our superior logistic network.

9. Elcold

Elcold IncGamers Member

I think russia has the second most powerful navy because they have more missle subs than anybody but the u.s. Missle subs are very hard to detect, can attack anywhere and can sink enemy ships easily.

10. jimmyboy

I think that the Russian sub program has really suffered from their budget cuts. I believe that there's not enough crews to man all their subs. That also implies a shortage on maintenance personel which implies that many of their subs are grounded due to maintenance problems.

11. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Not to mention that they sink like bricks...remember the Kursk?

12. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

I'm still worried about those poles...

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

The question is not whether they have the vessels, but can they actually use them? My guess is no. A whole whack of missile submarines are useless if they're sitting in a drydock or tied up at the harbour, all because you don't have the crews or the money to use the damned things.

14. Avalon

Avalon IncGamers Member

Soviet Typhoons were capable of sailing outside of their respective bases. Be they Atlantic or Pacific attachments, and launching their ICBMs. The older SSN15 and 16s weren't global reaching weapons, but the SSN20s are true ICBMs. The Typhoon can sit there right outside its base and pretty much nail anything worth hitting on the planet. That said, they were/are the biggest subs in existance and a pain to run, I'd imagine. A missile boat in dry dock or in dock can still open up its tubes and launch. It's just not advisable. Launching while stuck on the surface is not to the good. And secondly, missile boats don't typically launch against surface fleets. They leave that to the SSNs.

Well. The US is pretty much the only Navy that runs major blue water operations. Most other nations that maintain a Navy use what they need for their coastal patrol operations. Most other countries don't need to project that much power anywhere on the planet. In fact, most nations aren't exactly sold on nuclear submarines. They're far far more expensive in comparison to traditional diesel-electrics, which work just fine for most purposes.

In terms of surface ships. US carriers are well.. awesome. Our various cruisers pack punch all their own.

Need for other countries to develop super modern navies of their own has diminished somewhat. Meh.

15. jimmyboy

I think only factors 2, 4, and 5 are applicable in this modern era. Well, that's what the US Navy is focused on . Dropping bombs on land targets.

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

After being on the beach in LA and seeing all the ships lined up on the horizon waiting to go to port and unload, I think control of the seas and being able to blockade cargo vessels is still important.

17. piff

piff IncGamers Member

[arrogant American] Well, US is number 1, and Canadia or Great England number 2....then...ummm...what other navy haven't we decimated?[/aA]

18. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker IncGamers Member

In the golden age the dutch kicked total ass on the sea. Meh, we should have never sold New Amsterdam, aka New York, to the english, you'd all be talking dutch now! ;)

19. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

Navies? who cares about them anymore, missiles is where it's at.
    the US might have the strongest navy, but I prefer the British, that's what they're good at.
    but what good is the strongest navy when Russia and Iran(and maybe a few more countries) are developing(developed?) missiles that can take out many a fine vessel?
    Considering Russia has a torpedo that can get to the States in 6 minutes(or is at the end of development), I doubt navies are as powerful as they once were.

20. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Torpedo? I find that very hard to believe a tropedo is capable of hypersonic speeds submerged.