Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Native Languages

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Feceset, Nov 17, 2004.

1. caspervc

caspervc Diabloii.Net Member

my native language is dutch

I do speak english , german and a little french

Casper

2. supermatt

supermatt Diabloii.Net Member

English for me, with a little Afrikaans and Zulu which are another 2 of the 11 official languages of South Africa

:) matt

3. somethingsin

somethingsin Diabloii.Net Member

'nother Dutchy here...

this means my german is pretty good, as the languages are similar.
    I'm also fluent in English, and my French is quite acceptable as well.

I've taken a few years of spanish, barely learning hoew to order things in restaurants....
    Oh, and I can sortof read in latin...

Very slowly....

With a dictionary...

Really want to learn an asian language though, chinese or japanese or something (remotely) similar. Which one's the easiest?

4. oapwm

oapwm Diabloii.Net Member

English here. (l'etats unis) ....and enough french to get me in trouble. Took 4 years in high school and 1 in college. I wish there were more french speaking people in my area to help me keep the language up but seeing is I'm from NC most of my peers would just as soon see France removed from the face of the earth.

5. DeathMaster

DeathMaster Diabloii.Net Member

I'd say Chinese is easier. Just beware that Chinese is hard to write comparing with western languages (but should be much easier than those languages used by mid-east).

Beside Chinese is very logic, DO is always DO, there is no DID/DOES/DONE/DOING. Dog is always Dog, no DOGS. Once you know a character, it doesn't change regardless where you put it. very easy language IMO, but I was born with it...

6. Online

Online Diabloii.Net Member

Well i was close :grrr:

@Masas : Sveikas ! Niekad nesitikejau kad sutiksiu kita lietuvi situose forumuose :) Jei zaidi SP ( o turetum jei cia esi ) tai galesim per tcp/ip sulost kada. Bet daugiau jei ka tai per pm tariames ok ? A , ir as gyvenu lietuvoj , Vilniuje

7. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Sheesh! This thread took quite some time to go through.... :drool:

Well, I am quite a mess, so let's see what have I learned/was born with/tried learning/forgot over the years.... :lol:

My native language would have to be Romanian, which I can still speak reasonablly well, and easily read/write and understand it. Then I learned German for a year or so, but of course it's all gone since I was like 6.... what were my folks thinking, I don't know... lol ^^

Then I moved here to Israel, which is the language I use for most of the day, and so I am obviously fluent at, after 15 years over here in this shithole...

I remember that we were forced to study Arabic for 3 looong years back in high-school, but god be my witness, I dont' remember more than just a couple of words...

Then there always was my love- English. Always had a special place in my heart for this language, and it being so darn easy sure has made me quite good at it ^^ Fact that my amazing girlfriend is Norwegian, and we can only speak English makes me that much better at it, with alot of practice every day ^^

These days I am doing my best to learn Norwegian, and it ain't going so well yet, though I know that as soon as I move to Norway next year, it'll start coming alot easier.

This ends this 10 mins "know your Vega" speech ^^ Hope you didn't fall asleep.

8. Borlag

Borlag Diabloii.Net Member

Finnish as my native language, fluent english (brit and US accents), swedish (fluent in written form, not so well on spoken), french and german (basics), maorese (basics).

9. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer Diabloii.Net Member

I'm also a Filipino, so of course it is my native language. By blood, I am Chinese, so I understand basic Fookien Chinese (spoken only; written is another matter). I've been bullied by my teachers into essay writing since fifth grade, so I do have a good grasp of English. Finally, I took up basic Nihongo or Japanese in college, so I can read Hiragana and Katakana characters as well as some Kanji.

10. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer Diabloii.Net Member

That's cool! I never knew that! Chinese would be cool to learn. My boss and his wife always speak Chinese (dunno which dialect) at work and it'd be interesting to eavesdrop one day, just so I know what they're saying about me. :D

How many different Chinese dialects are there, out of curiosity, and which one is the most common or widely used?

~Wolfgang

11. DeathMaster

DeathMaster Diabloii.Net Member

Too many. You can't catch all or find a most common everywhere one.

Mainland china official, must learn -> Mandarin
    HK and some south part of China, one of the most commonly used overseas, must learn -> Contoness

Pick one of above.

If you are interested:

Taiwanness -> some south part of China and Taiwan, a popular one used overseas
    Chaozhouness -> south China, a popular one used overseas
    Shanghainess -> a rising one

Each one of thoes is like a different language by itself. Have fun.

**I only know Mandarin, so I can only speak english, everyone (Chinese) else either speak contoness or learning contoness overseas.
    :cheesy:

12. shermo

shermo Diabloii.Net Member

I met a guy from the netherlands and said something along the lines of "dutch is similair to german". He was a rather offended.

Also Ive taken japanese for 3 years at college (college = junior high for you americans) so I can swear and thats it. I dont know much about the subject but my impression is that japanese is an easier language than chinese,

oh, english speaker here

13. zomby_woof

zomby_woof Diabloii.Net Member

Anyone have a clue on how to write in chinese on Windows ME?