Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Native Languages

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Feceset, Nov 17, 2004.

1. AuraAllan

AuraAllan Diabloii.Net Member

My native language is Danish. Second is English.

Norwegian and Swedish is practically the same as Danish so i guess ill list those to :uhhuh:

~Aura

2. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Diabloii.Net Member

Whats wrong with Scottish accents? :p

I used to have one, but I've just about lost it from living in Yorkshire for 9 1/2 years. If anything, I wish I still had it (despite the fact I used to get made fun of for it).

I've told you before: there's nothing wrong with your accent :p

3. sunbearie

sunbearie Diabloii.Net Member

I'll agree on the swearing part. Why the forum doesn't even censor words like "bugger" "twat" "sod" and "poop!" Everything else abt american english is just lazy.

PS: apologies for the profanity :uhhuh: Wow, I was aware w*****r was censored

4. Blito!

Blito! Diabloii.Net Member

:scratch: I take it you're refering to the "y" thing, right? :lol:

I agree with ricrestoni, english is easy and practical, though i know german and it's not so hard. Everything has it's place, for example, the verb will (in indicative) always go in 2nd position; if that's not the case it'll go at the end. All it's rules are like that, the phonetic is also easy (always the same, not like english)...

5. Kaysaar

Kaysaar Diabloii.Net Member

Y thing? :scratch: I was more referring to the "Vos" thing where they use that instead of "tu" when talking among familiar people. And I know they have a tendency to pronouce the "ll" mas como un sonido de una jota frances (me falta una buena manera de escribir ese sonido...). O por lo menos esto es lo que dijo me maestra hace 2 años, cuando todavia estaba en el colegio, y estudiaba en Argentina hace mucho tiempo.

Now look what happens when I do Spanish homework, while talking Spanish stuff in a forum. I get all mixed up :bonk:

6. Blito!

Blito! Diabloii.Net Member

I should have said the "ll" thing, and you're right :)

7. ndt

ndt Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with those who say English is quite easy to learn. Simple conjugation (always the same but with he/she/it), only natural gender (in other languages objects can be feminine or masculine, too), and the gerund saves a lot of words.
    Ok, maybe I'm biased because my native language is German and both languages have a Germanic origin.

Apart from English I am half-decent in Italian and can understand some French. My Latin lessons are too long ago to count actively. :lol:

At the moment I am trying to learn some Finnish. Now that's a language! 15 cases! And almost every familiar-sounding word is a false friend...

But I'll do my best! :thumbsup:

8. Online

Online Diabloii.Net Member

Translating :

Hello everyone , who can translate this ? Im not sure if its correct , but i had to say this :)

My native language is lithuanian which is just stupidly hard. Im not good at writing in english but i can speak quite well. Also i know a bit russian .

9. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe Diabloii.Net Member

Mine is Swedish. But I speak English quite well. I've trained French in school for... 4.. years... odd, French is tricky. Just learn all those forms of the verb "aller".

10. JicamaEater

JicamaEater Diabloii.Net Member

I've never met an English speaker who was a huge stickler for syntax. I like the language quite a bit because it mirrors how I speak. It's easy to add a thought onto an English sentence that you forgot to add in the middle. In Spanish I've found that adding something to the middle of a sentence (as you're speaking) by trying to tack it to the end doesn't sound right.

Basically I just say what I'm thinking of, as I'm thinking it (this is how I type on internet forums as well), and I only go back to fix a mispronunciation/misspelling. In Spanish I have to figure out the whole sentence before I say anything, though that might change as I become a better speaker.

11. aidennz

aidennz Diabloii.Net Member

My native language is New Zealand English. Which is kind of embarrassing considering how terrible my english actually is. I don't know any other languages although I did spend 4 years learning Korean and at one point I could read, write and speak it although not fluently. Now I remember 1 sentece and 2 words. :uhhuh:

To the comment on the spelling of colour as far as I know correctly pronounced it is colour not color. Don't know about centre though. Not that I'm one to really comment my spelling switches between english and american english randomly. Comes from forums, programming and html.

12. grogs

grogs Diabloii.Net Member

I spent a year teaching English in Seoul, I found Korean difficult at best.. I found the easiest part of the language to be reading (though you have no idea what you're reading!) It's really a very clever system with very finite rules. You've got to wonder about a language where hello and goodbye are the same thing though - Ah-neyong.

-Grogs

Edit: On the British Vs. American spelling.. Mr Webster has alot to answer for.. though I suppose it does make it easier for kids in spelling tests.

13. Masas

Masas Diabloii.Net Member

Hurray! Another lithuanian speaker! Note: The following is in lithuanian.
    Kur gyveni, Lietuvoj, Amerikoj? Gal gali pasakyt miesta? Jei ne Lietuvoj tai gaila, bet sveiks anyway.

14. aidennz

aidennz Diabloii.Net Member

I know what you mean. :uhhuh:

Although I found speaking the language to be easier then reading it.

15. Igor Potapov

Igor Potapov Diabloii.Net Member

Hello, Online and Masas! Hello neighbor Lietuva. I glad to meet other SPF members from ex-USSR.

Exact translation is “Hello all, who can read it!”

@All: The text looks so screw, because I had to replace missing Cyrillic letters with similar looking Latin letters.

16. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer Diabloii.Net Member

There should be a way to get Cyrillic characters to appear. You just have to get your browser configured to a Cyrillic encoding, such as KOI-8. Some people on another forum I visit have been able to do it. Of course it looks wacky to those without that encoding installed (or selected), but most likely they wouldn't be able to understand it anyway. :p

~Wolfgang

17. Igor Potapov

I could do it if I could insert Unicode characters.
    Hmm.
    Need to try:
    ????????.

Wow! It works! This means that my first Russian sentence should look so:
    ?????? ????, ??? ????? ??? ????????!

18. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer Diabloii.Net Member

Still, as if any of us can read that. :p

19. Igor Potapov

:lol: You just don’t have Cyrillic letters in your current font. Every unfounded Unicode character is replaced with question sign in windows.

Here is small screenshot of how it looks on my screen.

20. DeathMaster

DeathMaster Diabloii.Net Member

I found myself better with american spelling. and no one ever complian with american spelling. The first time I came to Australia and saw "Caberra Centre", I was thinking "WT???????" And the more "centre" I see, the more I dislike English english. The "tre" is really hurt my english study, believe it or not, Australia gov established "Centrelink" years ago, I just keep reading it as "cen-try-link" whenever I saw the word. for god sack, please change it to Centerlink!!!

speaking something like "she don't understand" used to be bad english, but it is perfect good now :D