Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Native Languages

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Feceset, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Gouda

Gouda Diabloii.Net Member

Hi everyone,

Another native dutch speaker here. Also native english speaker, I dream in the damned language now, so that counts for me.

At various points in my life i have been able to speak some Norwegian, modern Greek, French, Italian and still speak some German. I'll be going for a long holiday to spain next year, so i guess it will be the 4 week intensive course before I go.

My girlfriend is from Wales, and is tryin gto teach me Welsh right now, but that got side tracked for now.

Unfortunately i am dyslexic like hell, so can't spell at all in any language.

Gouda

2. Ryondaahl

Ryondaahl Diabloii.Net Member

Dutch contingent coming in....
    Even though I am half German and half Flemish, i have been living in the Netherlands all my life. I speak Dutch, German and English. I can understand and read French, Danish and Swedish. I had a russian/hungarian girlfriend for three years, so I can follow conversations in those languages, but nowhere near full understanding. Hungarian grammar is just plain evil ;-)

cheers,

Ryondaahl

3. nepeta

nepeta Diabloii.Net Member

You'd say there's something of a linguist gathering on the SPF... All these multi-lingual people, scares me really ;)

My native tongue would be Dutch, and I suppose I could survive in English speaking ccountries as well as in Germany. France would be a challenge ;)

4. silospen

silospen Diabloii.Net Member

Hey, whereabouts in the north? I used to live near manchester, close to wigan before moving to university.

Edit: Read your pfile - cool, we lived v close. Ever heard of a little village called wrightington? J27 of the M6?

5. Blito!

Blito! Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, I should have said "master". Pronunciation is easy, but you've got loads of words to learn, and there are quite a few conjugation exceptions. It's not hard really, I was just pointing out that is easier to learn english than it is to learn spanish ;)

6. Vemp

Vemp Diabloii.Net Member

I see I'm the only Italian here, then :thumbsup:

But having started studying English at the age of 8, I should be quite fluent in my second language :)

7. crazy_bear

crazy_bear Diabloii.Net Member

I'm a Canadian English speaker, with west coast accent (no canadian accent is strong though). A year spent in Sheffield didn't change it at all. I studied French for 12 years, got good marks, and can barely speak it now, since I haven't used it in 12 years.

You're right, english isn't logical. If you get a chance, check out Dr. Seuss's book 'The Tough Cough Ploughs the Dough'

8. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 Diabloii.Net Member

swedish is what i normaly talk

can understand and somewhat talk in english and french aswell, not to good though.

and ofcourse Danish :)

9. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes Diabloii.Net Member

I love Dr. Seuss! :lol:
    I'm an American English speaker, but am fluent in German and Latin and can understand modern Greek as well as read and understand ancient Greek. It's hard to speak of course, since it's basically dead with no native speakers around, but modern Greek is pretty closely related, so I guess it's not that tough. My wife speaks fluent French, so she is teaching me that and I understand a smattering of Hebrew. I guess you could say I love the ancient languages. :thumbsup:

Ramsey

10. Blito!

Man, you're my hero! :worship: . That's my goal, but I still have a long way to go :)

11. Pucho

Pucho Banned

Spanish here, working on my english.
    I've learnt some french at school, and I can understand some portuguese too.

@Blito! I thought I was the only argentinian here...well, gorgoram was around here, but I haven't seen him in a while

12. Blito!

That's not the case as you can see :) . Dios Warrior used to be around too, till he was banned :rant:

13. borgy_t

borgy_t Diabloii.Net Member

wow, i saw two fellow filipinos! i'm almost pure chinese, with a small percentage of filipino blood, but born and raised in the philippines, and a filipino at heart. kamusta kayo! =)

14. Reborn2k

Reborn2k Diabloii.Net Member

My native language is german. I can translate latin and I learn french at school for 2 years now. I hope my english is good! :)

15. BodomSaint

BodomSaint Diabloii.Net Member

My native language is german but i also speak a lil french and english of course ;)

16. factotum

factotum Diabloii.Net Member

'Fraid not--my stamping grounds tend to be the other side of Manchester (Peak District). I've lived further north, though--I used to live up in Teesdale, and my mother still lives there, which is where most of the North crept into my tones!

17. Kaysaar

Kaysaar Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting... everyone always told me that English was super hard to learn because of wierd spelling. I guess not having to worry about gender can really help.

Gender is my bane in Arabic... it's not like Spanish where gender is an issue with adjectives and nouns. In Arabic you need to conjugate verbs based on their gender, which is really annoying. :rant:

18. tweety

tweety Diabloii.Net Member

Native Dutch here. Now I'm living in Canada and I haven't died of hunger yet, so my English is not too bad. Probably I could also survive in Germany, but I would not call myself fluent in German.

19. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Diabloii.Net Member

My native language is English (British), but I've studied French to GCSE level and got an A. Unfortunately, I haven't actually used it for anything since then and its pretty much deserted me :(

The German I learnt during the first 3 years of secondary school is pretty much all gone, except for the absolute basics (numbers, hello/goodbye etc.).

20. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

My native is English. I am taking lessons in Chinese now. Because of my many trips to Taiwan and China, I figured it would be good to know. Also, since I am in manufacturing, it would look good on my resume.