National Traits - True or False?

lukefojut

Diabloii.Net Member
National Traits - True or False?

Hi guys.

This isn't a country bashing thread, but rather a chance to explore national stereotypes with our collective tongues firmly in cheek. How it works is thus: List two national stereotypes associated with the country you hail from, one which must be true (in your eyes) and one that's definitely not.

To get the ball rolling:

True: Scots are typically seen as binge drinking nutters (see Groundskeeper Willie!) The nutter thing is off the mark, but we do drink far too much :embarassed:
False: Scots are rumoured to be skinflints. Total nonsense - official stats show that we give more to charity than our neighbours to the South and tip better, too :thumbsup:

Anyone else?

Tanooki

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: National Traits - True or False?

I totally didn't read the instructions. I was just going to point out that Brits have large ears. I'll let someone else handle USA.

Coldsmoke

Diabloii.Net Member

False: We don't al smoke weed all day.(Only happens in Amsterdam)
True: We have windmills, tullips and it really is flat here.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member

False: We don't al smoke weed all day.(Only happens in Amsterdam), we do not wear wooden shoes, and despite all rumours, we DO have laws and this is not a jungle of toleration.
True: We have windmills, tulips and it really is flat here. We also have loads of cheese.
I added some rubbish

mince pies

Diabloii.Net Member

False: Contrary to popular belief, we DON'T talk in that posh, poncy accent, as some Americans I've spoke to seem to believe..
True: We do drink loads of tea

Stevinator

Diabloii.Net Member

The US is too diverse to properly stereotype. The only truth I can think up, is that even our poor have cable TV, Microwaves and drive cars. Our homes are huge, our cars are huge, and I only have ancedotal evidence to this fact, but I've heard from several friends that our poop doesn't stink.

As far as falsehoods, man, most of the stuff you hear people say about us is true for enough of the population that you'll never convince them otherwise.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

I suppose those of us from the US could post about our states. Although last time I suggested something like that someone whined about how US states are like EU countries.

Head Jumper

Diabloii.Net Member

False: Well, a lot. We are not barbarians, as usually presented in games/TV/movies.
True: We do have really pretty girls.. (Thanks God!)

Tanooki

Diabloii.Net Member

State: Iowa
False: We're not all farmers/hicks
True: You don't have to drive far to see corn and soybean fields. And the state's pretty flat.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member

Canada, Eh.

False: We are all lumberjacks.
True: We Canadian men are better lovers.

Tanooki

Diabloii.Net Member

Oy...

I'll try again.
State: Iowa
False: Rumor is we're all hicks, farmers and red necks. Truth is we're not all like that.

Better?