Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NASCAR and retroactive history

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CaptJoe213, Feb 22, 2004.

1. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

NASCAR and retroactive history

I was sitting here happily watching the race on Fox, when I began hearing things that seriously bother me. They were talking about how so-and-so has won 3 or 4 Nextel Cups, how driver x is making his 5th Nextel Cup start...now wait a damn minute! This is only the second Nextel race ever held. But yet they are acting as if Winston has never been a part of the sport. It's not such much because of anything Winston has ever done, it's more the principle of it. They are kinda rewriting history.

Why this bothers me is because there is so much in history that is glossed over, and I fear one day it will become the same as NASCAR, that didn't happen, lets pretend it's always been this way. It's a lot like the book 1984, how long will it be before we start rewriting history completely? We already gloss over things, and encourage people not to think about them too much.

Dont get me wrong, NASCAR doesn't really matter, it's just another reminder of what I perceive as the alteration of history. Our history helps define who we are now, and it is something that should be protected....sorry to rant, but obscuring history, no matter what the arena, irritates the hell outta me [/rant]

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I totally agree. Did you catch the "crazy go-nuts finish"? Man I can't believe the announcers actually said that. There was probably some deal where Winston wasn't allowed to be mentioned anymore because of the laws against cigarette advertising.

3. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

yeah, that was a killer finish though, something like a hundreth of a second or something like that. At least Jr. in the 8 car came in 5th :thumbsup:

I can see the whole not wanting to mention Winston, but they could have at least said 'under the previous sponsor' or something...instead of just acting like Nextel has always ran NASCAR like they did

4. Diminished-Soul

Diminished-Soul IncGamers Member

Harvick came in 13th today. :D
    Junior 5th :D

I think race was won by 0.138 of a second.

Aye, I hate how the say all this Nextel Cup **** now... *** new 10 Race shootout at the end of year...