Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Namelocking?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by ninjakiss, May 4, 2008.

1. ninjakiss

ninjakiss IncGamers Member

Namelocking?

Saw the term "namelocking" used in a WW Assassin build. What does this mean, and how do you do it? Sounds effective and efficient for killing your opponent, but are there any drawbacks? Lastly is this meant for PVM, PVP, or both? thanks!

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Namelocking?

It's mostly PvP. Basically, it's just a technique to aim (ranged spells, teleports, MB, etc.) effectively.

There are multiple techniques on how to namelock... but in general, you right-click someone and hold your mouse, so that you can see their lifebar. While holding on to the button, you change skills, and you'll perform the skill on/near that person.

In PvM, you can perform a simple namelock by just holding on to your mouse while pursuing some poor running monster, such as Blood Raven, with something like a Boner. While firing Bone Spears, you'll see that your Necro adjusts his aim as Blood Raven runs.

3. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

I normally namelock Mephy at the moat. If you lock the attack (Lightning in my case), keep left mouse click pressed, then move the mouse outside the screen (in windowed mode only ofcourse) and release the left mouse click. Your attack will continue even if you don't press the mouse button. Now you can finally lay back, slice up that pizza next to your keyboard and ofcourse squeeze the last drop of chocolate milk out of the bottle while Meph is bleeding.

*lifts glass* Cheers

4. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

I also name lock mephy doing the moat trick.

The way I do it is I put my mouse over him and right click to cast blizzard, then I continue to hold the right mouse button and drag my mouse off of mephy and then switch to ice blast to cast between the timer. I just hold onto right click and alternate between my two bindings and mephy dies in anywhere from 4 seconds to 40 seconds depending on the number of people in the game.

5. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Pizza and chocolate milk, mmm....

6. jgreg7

jgreg7 IncGamers Member

I use namelock to add some safety to HC characters. For example, left click on Blood Raven. Then while holding the button down drag the cursor over to a safe area. The attacks will continute, but if things start to go wrong all I have to do is quickly release the button and click it again and the character will beat a retreat away from the fray.