Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Naked As Sin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dezrok, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Dezrok

Dezrok Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks @T72on1 and @Brak

Some quick progress through Act 4, despite some crashes in the first two areas. Lots of Flesh Spawners about so I was making heavy use of CoS to keep them quiet. After the 3rd crash I remembered something about Spawners triggering the CoS bug. I couldn't find anything online to confirm but I stopped using CoS in areas with Spawners and no more crashes. After that they were painful though. If there was only one or two I could keep them quiet with Mind Blast, but otherwise I let them spawn a few babies then dropped a pile of Death Sentries to take care of them all.

Izual wasnt a big deal once we'd isolated him from the rest of the monsters. Not really too many dramas anywhere, that 1200+ red bulb is plenty good for NM and Assassins have super crowd control.

River of Flame I made some nice use of DS to clear up the Maggot Young, this bit of gold was a bonus amongst all the blood and gore (a bonus, but a useless bonus). The Hellforge saw Razan die just after this shot was taken, but the drop was very lovely. Ko is such a useful rune!

There were plenty of deaths for Razan in the Chaos Sanctuary but eventually we made our way to the final seal. After a quick bite to eat it was time for the Big D on p8 ... I was pretty sure I'd end up regretting the decision not to drop the players setting and was prepared for a long, long session.

Things didn't start well, with Razan dying almost instantly and me forgetting that with Razan now wielding the Woestave Jacinta would need blue pots if she wanted to cast traps, and also need red pots to restore her life. And there was me wondering why she only had half her life left and couldn't cast spells. BTW, Razan was wearing the Rockstopper and Rockfleece and wielding the Woestave - what for now is our standard boss set-up.

A bit of shopping for the right pots and then it was back for a second try. This time Razan got himself in under the lightning hose and things were going pretty well. Jacinta could stand to the side and cast CBS whilst feeding pots to Razan. Once I got a bit of a system going Jacinta also started lobbing Fire Blasts when nothing else was needing doing. Diablo could still hurt Razan, particularly with the Firestorm attack, however the slow from Woestave seemed to keep him pretty quiet. We still managed 6 deaths for Razan over the course of the battle and coming back and setting up a stable battle each time was always a bit nerve-wracking. Here and here are a couple of different positions we ended up in. All very similar and quite safe. 20 minutes later victory was ours and Diablo was vanquished. Not bad for p8 and no crushing blow! Despite remembering to switch back in all Razan's MF gear (finally getting it right) there was nothing exciting in the drop.

Level 67 and on to Harrogath and ever closer to Hell!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Southpaw8668 likes this.
  2. Dezrok

A quick update. Jacinta and Razan have been making good progress through Act 5.

Slingers and Foul Crows in the Bloody Foothills gave us a pretty tough start. Those Slingers with their piercing spears meant I had to keep things under CoS, while Foul Crows made it hard to keep a front line and so always has to keep on eye on Jacinta and her health. And here is a bonus shot of Doc Farren.

Arreat Plateau was going well until we had a crash (once again while using CoS, this time near an Evil Demon Hut). Death Slashers are pretty easy to deal with using CoS and MB, but after the crash we also had Slingers in the mix and that ups the game a little.

Anya was rescued and Jacinta's resists reached a huge 22! Awesome! I have started putting a couple of points in Fade to get it up to +50% resists. Her resists will then be -30 when we get to Hell.

I usually find the Glacial Trail one of the easier Act 5 areas and Snow Drifters, Bone Mages and Frozen Creepers aren't a bad combination. This double Boss pack eventually defeated Razan and they then set off after Jacinta, only 2 of them plus the two bosses left. Black Maul's aura was Holy Freeze and Jacinta just couldn't seem to get away, but it was only a matter of time till we found a good corner to lose them around. Then we took a wrong turn, cause I wasn't paying enough attention and suddenly we were in an area that hadn't been cleared and it was packed full of monsters. Really, really packed! There was no going back so I thought I'd push forward, loop around and try to get back into the cleared area. Quickly cast CoS to try and lose some of the mass now following Jacinta and then ended up in a dead end with more monsters in it. Turned and headed back the way I'd come but Black Maul and his buddies were in the narrow corridor and now I was frozen and getting pounded. Only that one red and one big purple in the belt so we swallowed the purple to get some mana and tried to use Mind Blast to push a gap that we could run through but that didn't work and so I have to report that Jacinta has deeded at level 70. Disappointed not to get to Hell, but was a good run for first game back after a long break. Will definitely be giving this another go.

Southpaw8668 and Pb_pal like this.
  3. ILikeRocks

ILikeRocks Diabloii.Net Member

Damn! That was a good read, wish you had made it to hell! Good run though for a first try!

4. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Ouch! And I was ready to wish you luck for the Hell.

Best of luck for the next try! It was a nice read, still, so thanks for that :)

5. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Man that sucks. Razan let you down.

Are you giving it another go with the same class?

6. Dezrok

I'm going to go with an Assassin again. I'm pretty sure that Trapper build will be doable.

However, in the interests of variety I thought I'd try a Phoenix Strike/Shadow Warrior build this time. The idea will be to remote control the Shadow Warrior to attack with Phoenix Strike, a kind of Passive Assassin. I thought about this during some of the more boring phases of Jacinta's run as a way of keeping me engaged in the game without risking too much time in melee. I don't expect it to be a very optimal way of killing stuff, but then through Normal and NM I'm pretty much holding back to allow for merc kills anyway and I'm really interested to see how this works out (although testing the idea while naked probably isn't the smartest thing). A maxed Shadow Warrior with Fade should be a very decent tank and should also be able do some decent damage in support of the merc. A bonus will be that I shouldn't need to worry about Mana so much, which might open up some other merc and merc weapon options. But I'll see how it goes and if it becomes too frustrating or reaches a point where we can't kill stuff then I'll respec to the Trapper. I'll probably think about the respec anyway when I get to NM Act 5, to pick up where Jacinta left off.

7. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

O no !!! That's no fun :(. Condolences.

Good luck with the new character.

8. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

Such a shame.

Lack of attention is also why i don't play mine for very long ends at a time. To do this i wanna be fully focused. In HC it's too easy to make one mistake. Hopefully next try will be better for you.

9. Dezrok

Yes, I was definitely rushing my way to Hell and already thinking about that more than the monsters I was fighting now. Definitely need to live more in the moment and pay extra attention when there is a double boss pack.

I do have to say that, after an extended break, coming back to D2 is a lot of fun. I just need to balance my desire to play with my ability to stay focused.

10. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

Just play multiple chars. First a bit where you're still focused with the naked char. When you feel attention is fading, switch to some twinked SC char or something. That way you can play all you want, without running a huge risk on the naked char.

11. japanzaman

japanzaman Diabloii.Net Member

Act V Nightmare is more like Act I Hell in many ways in terms of monster difficulty, especially at P8. Good luck with the next go around. I once lost a one pass windy druid in Act V Nightmare from getting one shoted by Threshsocket, and that was with over 1400 hp! So I kind of know the feeling.

12. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Unlucky, I was looking forward to the hell journey.

13. Dezrok

Thanks for the comments guys. Always good to know that people are reading and enjoying the journey. I'll try not to stuff it up this time :)

Okay back into it with Buff-E the naked Phoenix Strike/Shadow Warrior Assassin.

Act 1 was all sorts of fun. All stat points in Vitality gives more life than even Coldcrow can deal with. Fists of Fire makes a mess of everything and the low mana cost means that we can use it all the time. Really nice to play untwinked and not be worrying about mana.

Blood Raven was killed at level 9, Coldcrow level 12, Countess level 17 and Andy level 21. The Cold Rogue Elexa joined Buff-E after Blood Raven, Countess dropped a Tal and at level 18 a Shadow Warrior joined us.

The Shadow Warrior was recast every time we leveled but otherwise no-deaths, really tanky and quite capable of killing everything we meet at this stage. Here the Shadow is sorting out Wind Drool on level 4 of the Catacombs, just before we took on Andy. Andy at p8 died faster than ever before, with both Buff-E and the Shadow dropping FoF meteors on her in quick succession. It was so fast even Elexa hardly lost any life and not a single potion was needed (except for antidotes to boost poison resist before the battle and to clean up the green afterwards). Andy's drop was not at all exciting.

Act 2 and Buff-E brought the party to the desert in her birthday suit. The Shadow took all the fire while Elexa tried to convince Buff-E to buy her a new bow. Buff-E wasn't buying into it, the old bow works just fine and gear is over-rated anyway.

In the Ancient Tunnels the lightning Skellie Mages could cause the Shadow some hurt, so Elexa offered to help out every now and again. Buff-E tagged shrines just because she could.

This gold bardiche fell out of an urn, that was a fraction of the size of the polearm. Someone had managed to squeeze a head, a potion and some coins in there as well. The Shadow is meanwhile dealing with some snakes and a sarcophagus. Elexa put an arrow in the snake and then got bored and wandered back into the other room muttering something about needing a new bow.

Multi-coloured Dune Beasts in the Palace - Elexa thought she should help out but Buff-E told her to put her bow down and stop wasting arrows. She made some snide comment about not using arrows but went and had a break anyway.

While Elexa was chatting up the town guards, Buff-E went and tried to gamble her a new bow for a surprise. No luck with the bow but she did get this dual-leech circlet which might be useful one day. She also gambled a Fiery Circlet with 20-43 damage and a Captain's Circlet of Fortune (19%). The Captain's is used for now.

Tal's Tombs were a bit frustrating getting Elexa and the Shadow to kill the right monsters, especially after a CoS crash in the first tomb due to a nearby Mummy Sarcophagus that I hadn't noticed (because it was off screen). Kaa was in the first tomb.

Before starting the 6th Tomb Buff-E decided to get Elexa that new bow, quite an improvement over the 3 chippie hunter's bow!

I was worried that we wouldn't do enough damage to take Duriel at p8, so I took Duriel at p8 anyway, but had the runes for Malice in the stash and was prepared to change to an Act 2 merc if needed. Elexa got that Fiery Circlet which was a nice boost to her damage. However, as usual Duriel was a disappointment. The Shadow was recast to keep Duriel occupied while Elexa used her new bow to good effect. Probably the FoF from the Shadow did something as well, but not too much I think. Buff-E tried to get in and use FoF herself but even with thawing pots Duriel's chill was too much for her. 8 blue pots later we almost had Duriel beaten so I stopped casting the Shadow to let Elexa get the kill. Stopped the Shadow a little too soon though and Elexa had her first death of the game. Back to town to resurrect her and then return with the Shadow. The Shadow only had normal attacks and Mind Blast to play with and it wasn't long before Elexa got Duriel's scalp. The drop uninspiring.

Act 2 not as much fun as Act 1, as we mostly just followed the Shadow around. Despite the story above, Elexa got a reasonable amount of kills (even with the old bow) but it could definitely have been more. Probably not the best for MF merc kills, but otherwise all good at this stage.

Skills are 10 pts FoF, 9pts Shadow Warrior, 1 pt for Fade, BoS, CoS and MB. Right now we are working on prereqs for Phoenix Strike so we can get our first point in it at level 30. The Shadow casts FoF at level 8 and BoS (along with the other 1 point wonders) at level 4.

Buff-E and Elexa, Level 28, Normal, Act 3 Kurast Docks

Pb_pal, japanzaman and T72on1 like this.
  14. T72on1

Cool !!! Good luck :).

I assume you ditch your starting weapon once you reach PS at lvl 30?

15. Dezrok

I ditch my starting weapon before I leave the Rogue Camp the first time at level 1.
    Naked is Naked!

16. T72on1

I knew you normally would. I just didn't know you can use FoF barehanded. The description says you need a Claw class weapon for it, that's why I figured you had made an exception here.

17. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Phoenix Strike naked? You are crazy!

18. Dezrok

Ahhh. Right. Now you mention it I remember reading that somewhere too. Then I forgot about it and just started using FoF and it definitely works with no weapon. Sometimes it's good to not pay too much attention to what others have written.

Absolutely!
    Although, to be fair, the idea is that the Shadow will use it and I'm just along for the ride. I'm not really planning on spending more time in melee than I have to. This has been working very nicely so far in Act 3. The Shadow AI isn't too bad with PS, although it does spend a lot of time freezing monsters that can't really hurt it. When it does decide to rain Meteors on something, they really come fast.

19. T72on1

I did what you are doing for a tournament character of mine. Well, minus the naked stuff. Worked quite well actually. My guess is that it will be slow, but for the rest you should be ok.

Dezrok likes this.
  20. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

It would be awesome if you could hotkey Shadow Warrior and then it would cast its own Shadow ad infinitum

Dezrok likes this.