Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

N00B Strategy Guide ;)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SERIALkiller, Jun 6, 2005.

1. SERIALkiller

SERIALkiller IncGamers Member

N00B Strategy Guide ;)

Hello everyone, I am new here, and just signed up cause the site looks cool. I've started playing D2 about a month ago and my character is an Assassin. I've seen some strategy guides and tutorials on this site and on the Internet and they seem cool too :) Next I'm gonna post a strategy guide that I've created after reading all of the other ones. Don't read this if your character is not an Assassin though, it's pointless :) so here it is:

First of all, the mercenary you get in level 1 should not be changed (at least in my opinion) because if you hire a new one it will have a lower level than the original one. Also I fancy the archers as they are moving fast and can shoot without having to go near the opponent and thus exposing to its attack. When you first get your mercenary check her stats and then go hire another one if you can find one that is better. I suggest you choose one that uses COLD ARROW. Whenever you return to the town check the local shops and buy her some cool weapon and armor. On the archer you can only put a bow, an armor and a helm. It's good to get her socketted items with as many sockets that you can find, as later in the game you can put gems or runes into them. However, don't put chipped or flawed gems, wait until later in the game when you can put better ones. If your archer gets killed somewhere in the game, you can return to level 1 and ressurect her. And you should do that, even if it may seem cheaper to just hire another mercenary.

Now about your character. Useless to say that you should get cool items for her :p I recommend using a claw class weapon and a shield in act 1 and 2 and then drop the shield and have 2 claws instead. You can put the shield in your alternate gear along with some cool sword or something. I have a runed 50 defence and 65% chance to block bone shield and an unique sword that has a 50% deadly strike there, but I seldom use it. At the beginning of the game when you get power-ups don't use the skill points, just the stats ones to increase strength, dexterity, vitality or energy. At first increase only strength and dexterity. After 9 or 10 powerups start increasing vitality +3 , strength +1 and dexterity +1. Personally I keep strength 5 points above dexterity and vitality 5 points above energy at all times. The skill points should be used with caution until you reach level 30 or higher. That's so you can develop better skills later rather than developping poor ones now :) Just use 1 skill point to each icon in order to be able to get to the next one, depends which skill(s) you are aiming for. Me I am aiming for Venom, Shadow Master, Cloak of Shadows, Fade, Weapon Block and maybe Mind Blast, not sure about that one though... The skill points that I will get, I will distribute like this when I will reach level 30+ (in case I will not go for Mind Blast):
    Fade: enough to raise my resistances to 75 (with gear) - Hope I will find a circlet sometime too :)
    Cloak of Shadows: 30% of the rest
    Weapon Block: 10% of the rest
    The rest of 60% goes equally to Shadow Master and Venom.
    What will I do with the power-ups I get after that? Haven't decided yet, but I think I will use them on the same skills as I did until now.

Other hints for n00bs like me :) :
    If you get killed, don't buy new cool items. Return carefully to the place where you died and click on your corpse, that way you will get your original gear back. If you get killed again while doing that, you may not get your original gear back, but I'm not sure about it.
    Don't keep much gold with you, whenever you're in town deposit it into your stash, just in case you get killed :p Also keep valuable items in your stash, they may proove worthy at some time if you'll need cash.
    I've read somewhere that the max amount of cash you can store at one time can sometimes be increased if you die, so it might be a good idea to let yourself get killed once in a while lol. But I'm not 100% sure about that information, so do it at your own risk :p
    Always carry a scroll of town portal in your inventory, just in case you need a quick getaway. Also repair all your gear when you are in town. Repair the items that you are going to sell too, so you can get more cash for them. Keep in mind that some items are better sold as they are without repairing them, so use your head :) Don't sell unidentified items either, identify them first and maybe you'll decide to replace some of your gear with them.
    Generally keep in mind that it may not always be such a good idea to use a cool "reward" as soon as you are able to. Example: Charsi's item imbuing. And I think somewhere in act 4 or 5 (expansion) someone will socket one of your items. Be careful which item you choose, as you won't get another choice.
    To get more experience points you can replay levels, although it may be boring. But at least you'll get more skill points to distribute onto your character later.

Well I am out of tips for now :) but as soon as I'll get more of them I will post them. Feel free to reply if you know of other good tips or if you want to add something to my strategy guide or just to tell me that my strategy sucks ;) or just send me an email, I will reply next time I'm online.

That's all folks.

2. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum. You have some nice playing tips for n00bs in your guide. Most could apply to all characters, not just 'sins. Since this is your first post, tell us more about yourself.

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

A few points..

• Calling town lvl 1 is misleading. Call it rogue encampmnt to avoid confusion.
    • Its ok to put chipped and flawed gems in your shop brought merc gear, you'll find better later on.
    • If your using melee, then start adding points to charge up skills, it can be combined with venom for more killability.
    • cloak of shadows is good at 1 point in normal. you'll cast it more often, but there's better places to put skills at this time (shadow master or venom)
    • You shouldnt need that much energy, get some mana leech item instead, and add more to vit once you get some ok str and dex. Life is never a bad thing.
    • If you die trying to rescue your body, remember to only pick up the original body, not the other attempts. It doesnt matter how many times you die trying to save it, as long as you get it in the end you'll get your items back (if there is space to carry them all)
    • dieing does not increase the amount of cash you can carry or keep in stash.
    Overall, it is very difficult to write a complete n00b guide, since theres so mnay things a beginner might not understand, and when vets try and write them, its easy to miss out what they would consider common knowledge.

EDIT @ G.A.Y: subtle.....:uhhuh:

4. GrandmasAreYummy

GrandmasAreYummy IncGamers Member

Omg

This is the funniest post I have ever seen. Please tell me that this is a regular that decided to make a new nick just for this post. Of course, this does bring back memories of when I started playing... except for the die every once in a while to improve gold storage... I'm still laughing from that one. If this post really is legit, please take a second to read through the strategy guides posted at the top. I think you will find a wealth of knowledge guaranteed to make your head explode... or your money back. And welcome to the forum... I think.

Oh, and on your strategy guide...

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[email protected]@Y

5. SERIALkiller

Can't think of a title. Bummer, eh?

I didn't know about the multiple bodies in case you die, I thaught that if you die twice your current body will replace the previous one so thanks for that bob. Now I would reply to Grandmas but unfortunately the site doesn't allow rude words so he/she can just consider them said. :p Don't laugh at n00bs, you were one too, weren't you? Oh and I'm sorry for the spelling and/or expressing mistakes, English is not my primary language...

6. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

When you get done beatin' on im' kin' I run im' over wit me truck?

7. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

I really hope that your strategy guide is a joke.

Or... :scratch:
    Maybe he's... :eek:

Welcome back TUBBIE!!! :clap:

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

lets not flame the poor newbie. if you all look deep into your own souls, you will find dark little secrets about your own early misconceptions about the game. (like thinknig dragging potions is the only way to feed them to a merc, or believing in "lucky" mf numbers, and such things) maybe you were lucky enough not to post them somewhere, but still...:p

either way, welcome to the forums, put on a pair of goreriders and kick flamers in the shin. also try reading a few guides before writing one.

i won't go into tiny details about what you posted, since i am not quite the brainy guy here. just one thing to be considered: even though the cold archer looks much superior early on (due to freezing), the fire archer has better range and is thus more able to stay out of trouble. quite an advantage later on in the game.
    as for your build...relying on venom as the main source of damage, is a bad idea. also mind blast and cos are pretty good with a single point.
    actually:
    1) i wouldn't have a martial artist for a first char. it is difficult, and not really ideal for mf-ing. at least make it hybrid. (trapper/martial artist)
    2) if you really feel like playing a martial artist, then do read some guides. i have restarted mine three times or so. (first time because i did not read guides at all. second time because i tought the guides that i read were stupid. for the third time, because i was even stupider than the guides)

9. GrandmasAreYummy

Hehehe, funny that Farting Bob should say that I am not subtle! :p Anyway, I mean no ill will by my post serial, it's just that everyone here (myself excluded) are the most knowledgeable D2 people on the planet. It was just a little shocking to see such a trivial guide when most posts are filled with fps breakpoints and psychic hammer guardians. And the bottom paragraph is a movie quote, and seemed fitting, but necessarily meant to insult. I apologize for any transgressions which may have occured. Again... Welcome.

G`A`Y

10. SERIALkiller

Title goes here

lol it's ok, I can take a joke or even insults, I just felt the need to retort :) and I am also aware that I am a n00b, maybe I am on the wrong board or something hehe.

11. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

You're definitely on the right board - it's just that many of the players here have been playing this game regularly since it was released oh-so-many years ago. They're a bit weathered. :D

Welcome to the SPF!

12. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You are on the right place to stop being a noob, believe me. Most of us were noobs once. But we didn't try to write "guide ;)" on the forum, where the most experienced D2 players are, in those nooby days.
    Anyway as I supposed from the smiley in the title, the reading was funny. :)

Now, welcome on the greatest Diablo2 forums, read the FAQs where you wil find the valuable informations about this game and stay legit.

13. Johney

Johney IncGamers Member

Billy Madison right?

And on your guide, a nice idea but as was recommended you should read the guides stickied at the top of the page first, and complete a few chars beofre attempting a guide.

Anyways, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay.

14. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I don't even know what to say. Should I close this thread? We'll have to see.

Welcome, Mr. Cereal Killer, to the Single Player Forum. One question: Why do four user names show up when I search your IP? Respond via Private Message, please.

15. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

EDIT: Am I too optimistic about the nature of humans?... :rolleyes: :mad:

(If not, then my original post was: Welcome to the forums and ignore some of the posters. Your post count is still in the one digit area yet you've already contributed something to the community, that may be helpful to players of your (in)experience. I wish this mentality would be more dominant among users, including the *veterans* that may call you names because you bothered to spend your time trying to be helpful. ;) )

Repusz

16. GrandmasAreYummy

Kremtok -- I knew it! There's no way this guy could have been legit. No one makes their first post on this forum a strategy guide. Hell, with all the flaming that goes on here, we're lucky if new members can get the courage to make an Intro thread. *cough* Serdash *cough* NSX

17. SERIALkiller

No

Nope, you were wrong. As I've explained to Kremtok in PM, this IP is held by The Politehnica University of Bucharest, it's a student halls facility here with more than 100 students living here during college. You can ban me if you want, no biggie. Just wanted to let you know you are wrong :rolleyes:

18. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Welcome, until I hear otherwise, you're a new memebr and entiled to this welcoming goodie basket of baked goods and squid repelant.

This is a great place for questions ranging from "how do I increase my gold carrying capasity?" (level up, but you can throw it out on the ground so long as you don't S&E in SP) to "if I die 16 times in nightmare+ and I just leveled up, when I retive my corpses will they end up giving me more exp. then I started with when I began dying?" (I don't think so, at least it didn't seem to when those dang temple vipers were mopping the floor with goltar and I before we got them under control) But we do ask that your read the most common in the FAQs and that you read about our little forum in the SPF FAQs.

19. SERIALkiller

Oh well...

Yeah well I really don't see any reason why I would create multiple accounts... If indeed I was an older member and wanted to make fun, I could have come through a proxy, thus not risking to be caught. Common sense :cool:

20. Repusz

Repusz IncGamers Member

Then it seems I should reconsider for now . Please read the original version of my post and welcome again. :eek:

Repusz