Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

n00b Question, and I bet you know what it's gonna be. ifra

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Voldomort, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Voldomort

Voldomort IncGamers Member

n00b Question, and I bet you know what it's gonna be.

Which is better, Werewolf, or Werebear?

I speak of 1.10 PvM all the way through hell. What are the disadvantages/advantages of each, and how do they do with crowd control? I'd love to see some builds and take suggestions.

I have only played with Necro and Barb, I have always been really interested in druids, and decided to make one. Are the Were forms the best route to go for the druid? Are they effective in hell? Does one outclass the other? Is one very equipment intensive? Cookie cutter and personalized builds would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thanks:

2. Voldomort

Also, how should I allocate my stat points for each were form respecively?

3. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

God dude..I get so tired of this day after day.
    Read some guides! There's great info to be collected, chances are when reading you will find a build you like, and you can do that, if not you will have the info you need.
    Wolf/Bear is even, bear being a bit harder to gear because you need fast weapons.

4. Voldomort

Oh, I don't mean to waste you valuable time. I didn't realize these boards were here solely for your amusement. I'll try and remember to read your mind from now on so I know what your tired of, ok? Anyway...

So, you saying wolf is better? When is the last time you tried to sort through the guides on this site? They're a bit long and convoluted.

I have a simple question, which one is better, wolf or bear, and why? No one seem to want to touch this quesion in their guides for some unapparent reason. Now, you could save me a lot of time by giving me a cookie cutter guide for a Werewolf(which I know you have) or I could spend several wasted playing hours trying to decipher guide after boring guide of mindnumbing numbers and calculators. Arg! Now, my question(questions rather, stick with me on this) again, Wolf, or bear? Build? Were Vs Elemental? Were Vs Summons? Thank you?

And I'll tell you what, next time someone asks this, just bump this topic.

If you don't feel like replying, you could just link me to one of the many other posts on this board that explains all of these questions. I can't seem to find them easily. Perhaps it's my extremely slow connection that keeps me from checking those 20 plus pages, but it also could be laziness. Thank you.

5. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

I like wolf better, but it basically comes down to preferance.

read a couple guides, try both, and see which you like more.

6. Voldomort

I, too, like wolf better, but solely for roleplaying reasons. Thank you.

I know this is a RPG, and I should do what I feel is best, but those roleplaying reasons aren't going to get me very far in hell.

I'm assuming you max Lycanthropy and WW, of course, and max the level thirty attack(I forget the name). That doesn't leave too many points. Should I put a point in Dire Wolf, or Bear, and should I put any points into the life spirit spell(again, I forget, n00b to Druid, and semi-n00b to DII if that helps anyone)?

Cookie cutter build PvM Werewolf, anyone? I don't need to hear about weapons, I just want stat point allocation, and ending skill points. It would be nice for hints on when to invest, but I ask too much. Now, I know on the Necro board, people are only too willing to throw out any and all of their builds, and they do this constantly. Can't I get 1 Werewolf build posted here, on principle?

7. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

What fenris meant is that you're either too dumb or too blind to see this thread

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=129178

STICKED AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM with the title

PLEASE READ FIRST: Druid PvM and PvP Guides -- Updated 14 Mar 04

Hmm, "please read first" Are they trying to hint at something..... who knows.

8. proudfoot

proudfoot IncGamers Member

And what Voldomort said is that the guides are long and convoluted... Suggesting that he looked at them but found it difficult to locate the answers he desired. So either friendly yourselves up a little or... something else.

Wolf vs. Bear is one of those big debates that comes up every once in a while around here. The general concensus is that Wolves are easier to begin with, and are great characters, but Bears have amazing crowd control and win out in the cool factor.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but Wolves are easier to figure out, and Bears are more for those who have a little more experience.

Good luck!!

9. TheGreatStickels

TheGreatStickels IncGamers Member

Maxed WereWolf, Lycanthropy, and Fury... the obvious ones

Feral Rage is also a commonly used Wolf skill, then a spirit, usually either Oak Sage - extra life, or Heart of Wolverine - more damage & AR.

after that its more up to you, Grizzly is allways handy, and a generally good skill to invest in once everything else is maxed. Carrion Vine is good for regaining life without having to worry about potions and whatnot all the time.

as far as stats go, Strength and Vitality are key, this is for PvM so Werewolf and Fury should be able to take care of all your AR problems without you having to invest much, or at all, in Dex, and Energy is not something to worry over.

10. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Go with a rabies/fury wolf.

Wolves are far superior to bears for the simple fact that its easier to get reasonable speeds (especially on a budget), wolfves have better ar, both do comparable damage, and wolf attacks are simply better than thier bear counterpart.

Lets compare (both can use fireclaws/hunger and all summons, arm, so I ignore them):

WW vs Bear
    ar and ias vs defense, dmg and life

The reality is bears and wolves have very similar ed% (add werebear ed% and maul and compare to fury) so bears don't really do more dmg, they simply attack slower for the same damage.

Bears have a very, very small life boost over wolves but it is almost completely meaningless due to 2 life per vita point. Bears are also forced to use How while wolves can choose to use oak, meaning wolves can get more life if they choose and be more party friendly.

Bears defense advantage really doesn't help much unless you have a very high end armor, and even then its not critical.

Wolves AR means more gear/skill versiatility and the IAS means you don't have to endure the painfully slow bear attack (gogo 20 frame base? wth?) until you can afford/find one of the like 3 weapons a bear can use and not attack slower than a chilled zombie.

Fury
    autotarget (a must pvp, saves mindless clicking pvm)

Feral
    Leech is nice, very handy to charge as you fury

Rabies
    Good for crowd damage, only real hybrid SS skill

vs

Maul
    effective, but slow and tedious, poor vs herds, lower dmg if uncharged

Shockwave
    Horrible damage, stun is good in teams, less effective 1v1

And btw fenris, if you yell at another person posting in our forum I will ban you. If you dont like the thread, DON'T POST.

Garbad

11. mepersoner

mepersoner IncGamers Member

Be nice Fenris. :p

Overall I like wolves best, they just have nearly everything going for them. Bears win out in defense, but many many monsters use attacks that ignore defense anyways.

Wolves are better in most other aspects, save 1. Which is shockwave, this is probably the single best defensive p v m skill in the game and only bears have access too it.

Otherwise go wolf all the way.

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

12. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Bears are better for the tanking (not getting killed) aspect of the game but wolves usually kill faster b/c they got the fury which attacks mulitple targets and have greater speed (save the almight pb which doesnt do enough damage in pvm). So it all depends on whether you want to kill fast or just not die as much IMO.

13. mepersoner

I disagree, with feral rage and faster block rate/FHR I think wolves do a better job of surviving while tanking.

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

14. Voldomort

Yes, I completely read through all the Werewolf guides before I posted here. They are really of little help, compared to the specific advice of a seasoned player. I'm not blind, nor dumb(if I do say so myself), I just lack experience. If Psychology were something I gave credit to, I would say you were upset that I was slightly short with your rude friend. Well, you'll forgive me if I do the same to you, if you want a flame war look elsewhere(though I seriously doubt you would post more than once after I got started :p). Now please, lets represent our boards with the upmost respect, shall we?

To the rest of you, I sincerely thank you for your advice, and I have decided to go with a Werewolf build, and soon(tomorrow) I will post the build I've decided to go with up here. All comments are greatly appreciated.

And I would especially like to thank those of you who stood up for me when the flames started flying. I am virtually unknown on these boards. That shows a lot of character. Now let me get back to my Were(Flowdlok, read it backwards). I'm startin' to feel like I'm running for office. Later.
    :howdy:

15. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

If your a bear and your tanking ..... all you need to do is shockwave maul shockwave maul and w/ the + life and + def you get from being a bear .... i would say you do much better. I die much much less on a bear b/c of this .... if you get in a tight spot ... shockwave ..... and your out of it more or less. ...... whats a better tank than that?

16. mepersoner

I already said shockwave is the best defensive weapon in the game, so I can't really argue that. ;) But if you keep feral going you tend to be pretty unkillable.

-Mepersoner, Furry Admin

17. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

yea i agree both are great for tanks ... and w/ feral and decent resist ww are a really good tank ... i just found that i died less w/ my bear than i did w/ my wolf thats why i think bears are better tanks ..... personal experience i guess. But both are definitly great options if you want to tank .... i would say preference really.

18. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

Bears look cooler :eek:

19. Asheron

Asheron IncGamers Member

Damn right.

Go for a sexy huggable bear solely based on coolness. :flip:

20. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Bears are much cooler, its a fact. And as we all know, size matters.

Shockwave is pretty overrated imho though. True, its extremely strong in the right situation but most untwinked druids simply won't have good enough gear to be good at melee and improve cast rate. This means the average bear will take 16 frames to stun for only 1.6 seconds (34 frames).

If you assume the bear has relatively low (untwinked) attack speed, such as about 11 frames (which would be about a -10 sword of swiftness with 20% ias on gear) he only gets two swings in TOPS before he has to restun the pack. Just not that viable.

Garbad