citybird

Diabloii.Net Member
My WWS zon. what do I need next?

Hi, I am building a WWS zon and so far I have the following equipment:

Code:
Weapon: Upped Doubble Shael 170% WWS
Switch: Normal Double Shael 156% WWS
Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
Armor: Dusk Shroud Fortitude Runeword (28% resist all)
Helm: Tal Rasha's Horadrtic Crest with 15% IAS Jewl
Belt: Razortail
Ring1: Carrion Wind <-- love this thing
Ring2: Rare CR/LR/Dex/etc..
now to the 2 pcs of equipment that I have questions about...
Code:
Boots: Natalyas Soul
Gloves: Lavagouts
My resistance after charms and such are F65/C75/L80/P75

I can switch out the Natalya's souls for Infernostride but then my cold and Lightning resists take a dive for Fire Resists. Also I would be crafting knockback gloves and hoping for Resist and IAS and Dex (more about the dex in a sec)

My question is since i already know what gloves I would try for is what boots should i get?

Everyone says War Trav but why? the exra damage? what would be better?

As for DEX, let me tell you this, It is WAY more important than +skill items for this build. I put a +2 to dex Small Charm in my invintory and my damage goes up 2 points. I put a +1 to bow/xbow skiller Grand Charm in my invintory and my damage goes up only 4 points.

the best would be a Bow Skiller with +6 to Dex. Otherwise you are wasting invintory space.

Another good item to have would be Wisp Projector for the Lightning Absorb. An excelent quality at Hell difficulty.

Sorry for wandering off topic but I had to share that observation. Please let me know what would be the best boots. I can make up the resistance with charms if I have to.

Lensor

Banned
Here goes:

WT >> all other boots on a strafer. The extra damage is really worth a lot (remember it gets mulitplied with the dex). Can easily be a couple of hundred extra damage.

Every zon should have (at least) one Ravenfrost ring. Dex, ar, adds cold dmg, and the priceless cbf mod, makes it 1337 :D

As you have noticed, B/XB skillers are "useless". Strafers benefit much much more of P/M skillers than B/XB skillers, preferably with dex. The only thing better is max/ar charms.

Cant bother to count now, but you should (PvM) strafe at least 9/2. That is >86 ias (ie 90 ias total)

The switch seems useless. One option is to make a harmony bow for valk prebuff and vigour aura.

Knockback is really useful, so hitpower gloves are good. Else, a pair of Laying of Hands will do wonders for your killing speed. Lavagouts are not the best choice imo.

Good luck with your continued WWS adventures!
:thumbsup:

citybird

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for the info. I didn't know that the Damage in the WT was multiplied by dex. I thought It was just added at the end of everything else.

I have an extra ravenfrost on my mule but I was using the rare ring for the resists. I will look through my account and pick the best one for this build and make up the resists with charms.

My current ias is 95% I think...
Code:
40% - WWS
15% - Tals Mask with 15% IAS Jewl
20% - Lava Gouts (will be switching these for LoH to see what happens)
20% - Highlords Wrath Ammy
I could put on a goldwrap belt for another 10% but then my piercing would drop to 69%

Is Next - Heavy Bracers crafted hitpower gloves...
I tried this before but I made them with Vambraces which have a Strength Requirement of 106. I didn't bother to look at this ahead of time. DOH!!

It was an awesome roll:
20% ias
LL
+1 to B/XB skills
+Dex

Lensor

Banned
citybird said:
thanks for the info. I didn't know that the Damage in the WT was multiplied by dex. I thought It was just added at the end of everything else.
Just to clarify, my wording was probably a bit fuzzy: The dmg on wt are not multiplied directly with the dex i think (ie not (15 to 25) x dex), it is some formula that i dont remember right now. Will still be alot of damage though.

chipmc

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll throw in my $0.02.

First of all, you don't have to go so far out of your way to get resists. As a general rule for strafers, a good offense > a good defense. Many people here have matriached strafers with negitive resists across the board, myself included. However, its never a bad idea to keep lightning resist charms handy in the stash if you spend a lot of time in the WSK.

Looks like you need a different switch weapon. I suggest tossing those Lavagouts and finding yourself a Demonlimb. The extra str points you might need to invest to equip it is worth it for the level 23 Enchant. Replace the Lavagouts with either Laying of Hands or some crafted Knockback gloves (with 20% ias of course).

IMO, The Cat's Eye ammy is superior to the Highlord's for this build. The 30% faster r/w and the fat dex bonus is way more useful than the mods Highlord's offers.

I see nothing wrong with your choice of armor, helm, and belt. I'm still a bigger fan of Nos Coil over Razortail though, unless my skill points are spread so thin that I can't max Peirce.

If you have two Ravenfrosts, use them both. Carrion Wind is nice, but the Tal's mask should be providing all of the leech you'll ever need. And two Ravenfrost means that much more AR and dex, meaning more damage.

As for boots, if it's been said once it's been said a million times, War Travs are the best boots out there for any bowazon. Keeping a pair of Gore Riders in your stash can be useful for act bosses though. You're merc can use Crushing Blow to greater effect though.

As far as everything else goes, you've got enough IAS. The WWS is a 0 WMS bow, so you only need 86% IAS to hit the by now standard 9/2 Strafe. For charms, get as many 3 max damage sc's and 100 pdsc's as you can, along with the customary Gheed's and Anni if you have them. Don't forget the small cold damage charms for the extra freeze length if you're using Freezing Arrow.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
Swap both rings for ravenfrost

Swap armor for CoH

Cat's eye destroys highlords in terms of usefulness on a WWS zon

Laying of Hands

War Travelers

ramian

Diabloii.Net Member
chipmc said:
I'll throw in my $0.02.

First of all, you don't have to go so far out of your way to get resists. As a general rule for strafers, a good offense > a good defense. Many people here have matriached strafers with negitive resists across the board, myself included. However, its never a bad idea to keep lightning resist charms handy in the stash if you spend a lot of time in the WSK.
I'm as confused as ever already...
In my thread a bit further down on the list, I asked about ways to improve survivability of my zon and the reply I got was that I need to improve my resists.
http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=3631783&postcount=30
So, my question is... should I try to max out resists in hell or try increasing my zon's damage output.
That brings me to the Highlords vs Cat's Eye arguement... My zon's been using Highlords over the Cat's Eye mainly because of the lightning resists its been giving me (and of course the 20ias). But if resists aren't supposedly all that important, why then isn't she able to survive anywhere in the WSK? Any more than 2 gloams and she's dead. The fact the you can't leech from them just makes it that much worse...
I'm going to swap Highlord's for Cat's Eye and my rare resists ring for a second Raven Frost and see how much better I can survive, but I highly doubt it will be much of a difference.
Any ideas on how to survive in WSK especially with gloams?

Thanks

*imabadman

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
The ONLY monsters that consistently give elemental trouble to a bowazon are the black soul/burning soul/gloam family, due to the piercing effect of their lightning. Everything else can be muddled through with slow missiles, valk placement, brains, some vitality, etc. Positive resistances are nice on a bowazon but are not necessary.

Black souls in WSK have 90-95% physical res by default. You should be more worried about being able to kill them rather than surviving. Even with WWS's magic arrow it takes a while.

Decebal

Diabloii.Net Member
Omikron8 said:
The ONLY monsters that consistently give elemental trouble to a bowazon are the black soul/burning soul/gloam family, due to the piercing effect of their lightning. Everything else can be muddled through with slow missiles, valk placement, brains, some vitality, etc. Positive resistances are nice on a bowazon but are not necessary.

Black souls in WSK have 90-95% physical res by default. You should be more worried about being able to kill them rather than surviving. Even with WWS's magic arrow it takes a while.
Faith ama kicks WWS ama! :D

/Dec

sheepe2004

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason war travs are so great is because the damage from them is effectively added to your weapon damage. Now because wws only has a low base weapon damage compared to other end game bows but still does similar total damage wartravs (and +max or +min damage charms) are even better.

citybird

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow thanks for the quick education.

I am going to forgo the Cat's eye and stick with the Highlords Wrath for now because of I think Deadly Strike (Based On Character Level) from the WWS and Highlords add up to more that 100% which meens that I am always doing double the listed damage and I get the IAS, LR, LD, and +skills.

I am not a runner so the extra 30% frw is not that important. If I were dooing Baal runs all night then I would worry about it but I like to kill everything along the way instead of running around it.

LoH: I have these on the zon now but I haven't had a chance to play them yet. I will be replacing them with Crafted Knockback as soon as I find some crafting gloves.

War Travs: check... I must get these.

Second Ravenfrost: I'll think about this one for a bit. Perhaps trying it out and seeing how it performs.

I have bowazons with negative resists but I hate how they go down when a little elemental damage is thrown about. My goal here is to have Max resists and good damage. The Carrion Wind helps max my PR and it has Def Vs. Missile and some crowd control features untill I get my Crafted Knockbacks.

So Ill keep playing her till I find a Gheeds and Ani (never met dclone) and I'll trade for some War Travs as soon as I can. I'll also mule over the B/XB charms to a MageZon and start that project again. I have 3 or 4 so the MageZon should rock.

As for CoH I believe that Fort is better for this build but it might work on the merc.

As for Faith ama kicks WWS ama I think you are off topic.

Has anyone tried Pride on a might merc yet? How much does that help?
What do you use for LL? Andariel's Visage? What armor should you use with Infinity? I think shaftstop is a little weak at the higherlvls. I was looking at Chains of Honor and the +2 to all skills combined with Andy's Vissage +2 would bump up his might aura +4. Funny thing is that that equipment might just be worth more than my WWS Zon's setup.

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
Decebal said:
Faith ama kicks WWS ama! :D

/Dec
Faith bowazon > all other bowazon weapon builds, what's your point?

That blizzard said GG to diablo2 game balance? yes i agree

next question

Decebal

Diabloii.Net Member
Omikron8 said:
Faith bowazon > all other bowazon weapon builds, what's your point?
My point is that WWS zons aint so powerful and have that uber killing capacity! Even WF is better imo! Sure you shoot fast with a WWS but imo there are better bows than WWS! :p

/Dec

citybird

Diabloii.Net Member
WTF! off topic dude. Please start your own Fait bow is my G-G-G-GOD thread.

Anyhow thanks to the great advice from some posters I have procured a pair of War Travelers and I must say the advice was on the money. Damage shot up over 200 points. I had to lvl her and add another 5 points to Str but it was worth it. Currently sitting at lvl 85. Some resistance droped from max but I am certain that I can find charms to make it up with.

My trading experience left something to be desired. One jerk tried scamming me by claiming he would trade me HotO for my items and kept bouncing the HotO Flail around the trade window. Then when I finally aggreed to take the HotO he puts a normal flail in the trade window and quickly hits the check box thinking I would do the same.

I always read the item description 2x before hitting the check box so his plan failed. Then he says that he will hack my account. Knowing that I didn't have any trojans or viruses and brute force would not work I told him that I would report him and then he hostiles me. This guy wouldn't give up. I message some friends whats going on and suddenly the game is full of PvP chars that team up and challenge the "idiot". He never left town.

Meanwhile I go to the pits to find a few items while they trash talk. He finally disconnnects (as in timed out) and about an hour later I finally find someone who trades me war Travs.

Moral of the story: always take your time in the trade window.

Is Next: Crafted KB Gloves and Pride pole arm.

Lensor

Banned
I am also in the process of saving up to a Pride for my WWS-ama's merc. It is extremely expensive though (~20 ist on EuHCL), so ofc it would be cheaper to get a Faith bow (~15 ist on EuHCL). I suspect the ratios are about the same on whatever realm you are on (although the prices are probably a lot lower if you are on US).

The point is, if you can afford a Pride, you can afford a Faith. On the other hand, if you want to make the very most of a WWS (like me), and can afford the Pride, just go for it! :thumbsup: You can always sell the Pride for a [email protected] later on.

Decebal

Diabloii.Net Member
citybird said:
WTF! off topic dude. Please start your own Fait bow is my G-G-G-GOD thread.QUOTE]

Eeeee take it easy! whats all the fuss about! Jesus you are a touchy one! :rolleyes:

NEVER saw that a lot of people state something else in other threads that are off topic???!!! Man oh man TAKE a chill pill! :uhhuh:

/Dec

Lensor

Banned
DecebalEeeee said:
take it easy! whats all the fuss about! Jesus you are a touchy one! :rolleyes:

NEVER saw that a lot of people state something else in other threads that are off topic???!!! Man oh man TAKE a chill pill! :uhhuh:

/Dec
Suppose he just got a little upset. He asked for advice about his WWS ama, and was probably not too happy about getting told that WWS suck (which is not true imo) and he should get a Faith in stead. Although he overreacted a bit, I can understand the sentiment. :p

citybird

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes sorry that came out wrong. I am a little miffed but It was supposed to be funny.

As for pride and other high lvl rune word items I really can't afford them. It took me a LOOOONG time to save up for the LO in my Fort Armor. Many of my characters have journied to the Hellforge and prayed at it's steps for good drops. All hoping to one day outfit my WWS zon with Fort. I even built a hammerdin to find stuff for her.

After playing a hammerdin for almost a week to get the Hellforge drop I have to admit comming back to the WWS zon was a relief. She is so much faster with non boss groups. While the hammerdin is a little less gear dependant there are items which bring out the most in that type of character. The same holds true for a WWS zon.