Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Witchwild String Strafer (suggestions please)

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by bumhntr, Mar 31, 2005.

1. bumhntr

bumhntr IncGamers Member

My Witchwild String Strafer (suggestions please)

I have yet to try a zon in .1 yet and I read the 2 wws strafe guides. I have almost decided on my skill/stat/equip setup, but would like some advice for I am not too familiar with zons.

SC - PvM

Stats:
    Str- 89
    Dex- Rest
    Vit- 80 (More or Less??)
    Nrg- Base

Skills:
    Inner sight-1
    Critical Strike-1
    Dodge-12 (Would 40% be viable?)
    Slow Missile-1
    Avoid-7 (See Dodge)
    Penetrate-20
    Decoy-1
    Valkyrie-17
    Pierce-20 (Any less viable?)

Magic Arrow-1
    Cold Arrow-1
    Multi-1
    Ice Arrow-1 (Not decided on whether I am going for Freezing)
    Guided-1
    Strafe-20
    Freezing-0-1

*I do not plan on using many +skills so skill distribution will be a bit tight.

Equip:
    Helm- Tal/Gaze (helm with IAS maybe)
    Armor- Lionheart/Chains of Honor
    Belt- Nosferatu Coil (Razortail if I need to save skill points)
    Bow- WWS (2x Shael)
    Glove- Draculs/Souldrainer/LoH
    Boots- Travs/Treks
    Ammy- Cats Eye
    Rings- Ravenfrost / BK or dual leach

Merc:
    Holy Freeze or Might

Any advice will be much appreciated. I have a few errands to run, I will check back in a bit.
    Thanks

US East
    *Nenya93
    *Nine3Current
    *Bum_Hunter

2. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Most important thing for a strafer is speed. With WWS, the strafe bps are:

0% IAS 13/3
    13% IAS 12/3
    26% IAS 11/3
    29% IAS 10/3
    56% IAS 9/3
    86% IAS 9/2
    113% IAS 8/2

I think that 9/2 is a minimum. With 40 on the bow from the shaels, 20 from Cat's means you need 30 more IAS. Highly recommended is LoH because of the good damage to demons, FR, and 20 IAS. Using these means that either an IAS helm or Nos coil/Goldwrap gets you there. Or use both and put IAS/dmage jewels in the WWS.

89 Str so I guess you are upping the WWS - a great idea.

War travelers are the best boots IMHO because the damage bonus is added to the base before dex multiplier.

Lionheart is great armor, and if I could afford CoH then I probably would use Fortitude instead. Definately get a ravenfrost, and either a dual leech or another RF if going with Tals. Bonus of RF's is a nice boost (1sec in Hell) to freeze length. I like pierce in the 70's, you could easily get more with Razortail, which has nice +dex too.

My opinion is that D/A/E remain at base - OK, maybe get avoid up, but most of the time you will be behind your valk and might merc. And your decoy - I would say a few points there are better spent than in any of the D/A/E (you are sc after all).

I have a WWS lvl 81 getting ready to save Anya EaSCL. Lately I have been self-enchanting with a Hel'ed-Demon limb. This spares some of the points in Penetrate, and adds a little fire which aint bad. I had enough spare points to spend 23 to get LF - this is a great alternative for spread out missle types, then switch back to strafe. Otherwise, I recommend getting FA, if only for the freeze - be sure to get RF's or 4 cold affix charms so the length will be respectable.

Also, in my stash I keep a +3PnM glove, +2 PnM ammy (+3 possible), and +3 PnM circlet to pre-cast the valk. At lvl 25 she is a nightmare and almost never dies. She doesn't kill alot unless she spawns with a cruel weapon, but takes a beating. Better her than me.

You say you read the guides, so I can only suggest a thread that Rikstaker, I, and others just had about his WWS strafer, which might provide some more ideas.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Your build looks pretty solid...

80 vit seems okay...more is always nice but not really needed on a bowazon, if you play carefully.

40% dodge seems fine too...again if you play carefully and use valk+decoy, you shouldn't have too many problems...If you also get knockback:)

I definitely think you could get by with not maxing Pierce...Pierce is nice but not essential on a Strafer...it's not often that a lot of monsters are lined up behind eachother...Alternatively you could use Razortail (unique belt) that gives Pierce...but again not too important. Also wait and see what kind of attack rating you have before maxing Penetrate...If it's really bad then put some more points in, but I don't think you're gonna need it maxed...Will also save points for your backup skill.

Freezing arrow is a very nice skill, which also comes recommended from this forums moderator, so you'd better use it:)

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=335169

I'd go with Tal Rashas helm, because resists are better than damage reduction, you also get more leech and a sweet life bonus.

If you can get Chains Of Honour...no contest...if not then Lionheart is an excellent armour, going to use it on my own bowazon..

I'd take Laying Of Hands as gloves and War Travelers as boots, never know when you're going to find some good stuff.

For your merc I'd pick a might one...will greatly help the physical damage for himself, you and your valkyrie...very neat. And with both decoy+valkyrie you should have enough crowd control.

An interesting alternative could be to switch your Tal Rasha helm for a Delerium helm...that gives awesome crowd control...just remember to wear Souldrainers to give you some leech...

Hope this helps.

4. bumhntr

bumhntr IncGamers Member

Thank you both for the advice. I have decided on my gear/skill/stat distribution, and here it is:

Stats:
    Str- 89
    Dex- Everything else
    Vit- 80 (May go for 100, depends on how often I get hit)
    Nrg- Base

Skills:
    Magic Arrow- 1
    Cold Arrow- 1
    Multi- 1
    Ice Arrow- 1
    Guided- 1
    Strafe- 20
    FA- 1

Inner Sight- 1
    Critical Strike- 1
    Dodge- 6(40%)
    Slow Missile- 1
    Avoid- 4(40%)
    Penetrate- 20
    Decoy- 1
    Evade- 6(40%)
    Valk- 20
    Pierce- 12(75%)

With quests, can be achieved at clvl 86. Not too unreasonable.

Gear:
    Weapon- Upped WWS (2x Shael)
    Helm- Tals(Um)
    Armor- Lionheart (Chains of Honor if I can ever afford it)
    Belt- Nos. Coil
    Gloves- LoH
    Boots- Travs
    Rings- Raven/Raven
    Ammy- Cats Eye

A few more questions:
    a) 1 in FA viable?
    b) 75% Pierce viable?
    c) What is Fortitude, if runeword, which runes?
    d) What would be a good armor for Lionheart/Chains/Fortitude?

Thank you for your time and comments.

*Nenya93

5. bumhntr

bumhntr IncGamers Member

My merc setup:

Might merc
    Weapon: Ariocs Needle (Tomb Reaver would be great but, unlikley I will find)
    Armor: Eth Duriels(Um) or Shaft(Um)
    Helm: Gaze

I will have 2 socket quests left after socketing my gear. Would it be better to socket my weapon and helm/armor or just go with helm/armor.

I wouldnt know what to put in Ariocs. But, with the helm/armor I can use Um to boost some resist. If using Duriels with an Um, resist should be maxed.

Any advice is welcome. :)

*Nenya93

6. slick4hire

slick4hire IncGamers Member

I would suggest reapers for your merc weapon. The decrep is too valuable for crowd control to pass up. Also, I always prefer duriels over shaft due to the can't be frozen. Too many monsters in hell have hidden elemental dmg, to include cold. A frozen merc is useless.

7. bumhntr

bumhntr IncGamers Member

Reapers Toll looks nice. Overlooked it before. Decrep, LL, ITD, deadly strike. Nice. I am going to use this. :)

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

a) Not for damage but good crowd control..
    b) For a strafer...yes...Pierce isn't really needed but definitely a bonus.
    c) Fortitude is a ladder-only+realm-only runeword
    Fortitude 4 Socket Weapons/Body Armor El + Sol + Dol + Lo
    Notable mods are 300%enhanced damage and +25-30% resists, very sweet.
    d) The armour doesn't really matter, you shouldn't get hit much anyway...but try to get one of the light elite armours...Dusk Shroud would be excellent...especially for the COH since it has good enhanced defence.

You're welcome.

One last thing...if you can get knockback (Nef in Witchwild) that will ease your life very much, but don't sacrifice speed to get it.

For your mercenary an Um rune for max resists would be very nice, a Shael or Amn in his weapon would also be sweet, and Reaper's Toll/Tomb Reaver are the best merc weapons around...Reaper's being the best for most builds.

9. Valheru

Valheru IncGamers Member

I think you play softcore? Cause else i don't understand how you survive with only 80 vit.

10. bumhntr

bumhntr IncGamers Member

You are correct. I do not think I would last too long in hardcore right now. I have never even tried it.