Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My weekly thread 4/17/05

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

My weekly thread 4/17/05

So last week I said I would start a weekly thread and here is the second volume.

This week I am down to 301. I am considering most of this to be the "water weight phase" as its nearly impossible to lose that much fat in a week.

I didn't really do much cardio this week past work. I work at a grocery store and my job involves walking probably 2-3 miles a day pushing the carts, so for this week anyway I'll call that my exercise. I worked everyday for more than 7 hours after school, so I didn't have time to get in any real exercise.

I stayed really strongly to my diet until friday when a friend took everyone to a Japanese Steak House (Hibachi kind of place). Since then I've been clean.

Hopefully I'll be able to continue producing good results and this week I work only 3 days so I'll be able to get in some real exercise.

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Could you jog while pushing carts? I know when the line gets longer it is hard but I'm talking about when you round up all the carts people don't put away and just leave out in the open.

3. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

If a car pops out in front of you, its a little hard to stop a 1000+ pounds of carts on a dime.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

That's why I said when he is getting the stray carts at the end of his shift that are just left out there in the middle . . .

5. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Hey, D, sounsd great! Congrats on getting down to business with it.

Out of curiosity, what sorta dietary changes are you making? What kinda diet is it?

I ask because while I'm not overweight, I have put on about 20-25 lbs. in the last 3 years, and I'd really like to get rid of it all. I don't exercise a whole lot, but now that it's spring I'm doing gardening at least once a week, and I also walk up and down the escalator at my metro stop (a very long escalator--its almost 3 minutes if you stand and ride it all the way), which I can already feel getting me into at least slightly better cardiovascular shape. That said, I'm always curious about other tips, though I'm not reall willing to go all out with a "anti-carb" or "anti-meat" or whatever diet. I'd rather find something balanced that still allows me to eat the things I like, just cutting some things back to optimize my diet.

Anyway, keep it up, and good luck with it. I dunno if you can have watermelon, but I just bought a huge one for $7 today and its amazing. Very yummy, and I can't imagine that it's bad for you.

6. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

kool beanz. keep it up, and gl. :D

7. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Basically, I'm avoiding sugar like the plague. And trying to avoid too many processed foods, and fast food.

If anything I'd call it just looking at something and deciding if its bad for me or not. One of my friends said it was borderline South Beach, but until then I didn't know what South Beach. It apparently is a more heart healthy approach to Atkins.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Honestly, I think that's a healthy way to do it (and I'm no doctor, but still). I shy away from any diets that tell me to completely stop eating a particular type of food (carbs, for instance). That's just not something I can do for the rest of my life, which means that the weight loss would be temporary if I reverted back to my old eating habits. Trying to avoid junk food and sugary crap is honestly probably the best and most viable diet that I can think of, and one that can be done with minimal suffering.

Good luck with it!

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

It gets hard though, when I see people's groceries and all the treats they have. Cravings suck. Hopefully I'll get to the point with sugary snacks as I am now with Sodas. Soda to me is too rich and tastes like drinking syrup. Maybe I'll become disgusted by the goodies.

Maybe I'll win the lottery too and start crapping gold bricks.

10. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Sounds painful.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

You're probbaly not gonna lose the cravings for sweets and stuff, especially if you're going to be on a low sugar diet. But I always think of it this way. There's only one time when you need a lot of willpower: when you walk past that item in the store. After that, you can crave it all you want, but if it's not in your home, you're not going to eat it.

I've found that gum helps me. I like to be chewing on things and I'm a huge muncher. Gum keeps my mouth active without me actually eating anything. And keeps the breath fresh too.

12. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

BigD,
    If you can ever take 2-3 weeks off work in the summer time, go backpacking in the Rockies or Sierras. Average 5-10 miles a day and you'll be lean and mean at the end of it. Steep country, high elevation, the calories practically burn themselves! You can eat as much as you want and you'll still lose dozens of pounds. The downside is that the amount of food you can actually eat is limited by how much you can carry (more than 70 lbs = no fun). This is also an advantage; the more you eat the more you burn. There is simply no better, faster way to lose wait in a healthy way. And once you get a few days in, there's no point in turning back, so its a diet/workout that you have to stick with. If you decide to do it, a word of caution. You don't have to be in great shape to do a long backpacking trip, but you should continue with normal workouts until you go so your first few days aren't misery. Also, when you finish, you'll probably be in the best shape of your life, and you should take advantage of this and continue working out at home or the gym.

13. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

The doctor is in

The South Beach diet is more heart healthy than Atkins but neither diet is going to be an instant success for all people. You have to pick and choose which diet (and not just the published, fad ones) is best for you. You need REGULAR exercise and you need to talk it over with a doctor what exercise regimen (and diet for that matter) is best for you. I have seen too many people start and stop diets and exercises because they hurt themselves (if they had consulted a physician, they would have known what they were in for).