Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Venomancer...

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Suerte, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

My Venomancer...

Im planning to make a poison necro, but I'm still a bit confused about the skills I'm goin to choose, so far I got this figured out, itemwise and skillwise...

Mara's
    Rare circlet with skills fcr mana life res
    Death's Web
    Trang Oul Shield
    Trang Oul Gloves
    Trang Oul Belt
    2x Soj
    Marrowwalk
    Bramble

and as for the skills -->

of course
    max poison nova, poison dagger, poison explosion
    1 point in bone armor (with synergies from marrowwalk = w00t )

but what's next?
    I really don't want to make skeletons n stuff, just want to kill fast instead of taking the time to make skeletons... maybe use corpse explosion.
    And maybe use a golem, but I was thinking, the set up I thought of for my merc would include infinity and fortitude, so would I need a golem?

and also lower resist... should I use that? Cause with deaths web and the trang items and a few socketed poison facets the lower poison is already quite "there"so would I need to use lower resist?

some input would be welcome cuz I'm really not that much of an expert when it comes to necro's!

2. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

-Res from Death Web/Trang may still be inadequate to break poison immunes in hell and conviction from infinity lowers all elemental resistance *except* poison so venomancers either put a point into lower resist or max it out for radius. Also since you are not using Enigma you dun really need any fcr (tele) as poison nova is a delayed spell. I would switch out that circlet and just use shako as that would prolly be better for a Bonemancer. If you do decide to use Inifinity on merc perhaps max skelly mastery and as many points into mages could be an option? Or get a 'Pride' polearm and max RS/SM with AOKL + golemlord head and go poison/summon hybrid and raising an army doesn't take that long but guess its a matter of preference. Most necros use clay goelm for his insane life and slowing capabilities and with just a point in clay, golem mastery and summon resist and +skills he becomes a durable tank in hell. If you are going PvP there is a guide on a poison/bone hybrid that i saw recently and that could interest you as well. Cheers!

3. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

thx a lot for your input, the skeletons idea really isn't doing it for me, I might use a clay golem though, sounds nice... and can I break poison IMMUNES with lower resist? Didn't know that
    I guess I'll switch that circlet for a shako then

and the mages might be a good idea with infinity, but I'm just using infinity cuz it looks cool and does loads of damage, not because I'm goin to use the conviction aura (maybe in parties though)

thanks for your input, and I'd like to know about that guide!

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

CE can be very good. Especially against immunes. You can max it, but it isn't necessary.

You can raise one of the AI curses a bit for crowd control. You'll probably need it with just a Golem and a Merc. I would recommend Attract. This will allow you to place LR on the remainder of the monsters and still control an entire crowd.

Getting a Golem is recommended. As batuchka said a Clay is the most used one. You can use another one, but it will require that you spend a few more points. IG would probably be the most useful after Clay.

Putting a point in Revive isn't a bad idea either. You can use them when things get very difficult, or raise a few just before a Boss fight.

More is almost always better. There are a lot of monsters out there with very high poison resists. Against them even D-web, 3 part Trang and some Facets won't bring them far down into the negatives. Also you need LR to break immunes.

Actually that -% Enemy Res can't break immunities, so it will always be inadequate. ;)

6. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

So how Im looking at it now -->

Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion, Poison Nove (60 points)
    Teeth, Bone Armor, CE (3 points)
    Clay Golem, Golem Mastery, Summon Resist (3 points)
    Lower Resist + prereq. (7 points)

that's 73 points
    so that would be completed at lvl 62

I usually create my chars and lvl them to approx lvl 90, so let's say I'd do that, I'd still have 28 skill points left to distribute...

Now as u guys said there are quite some options, I could go for revives, skellies, mages, different curses like attract, put more points into lower resist, more points into my clay golem, more into CE... what would be wise do u think?
    (I prefer not using skellies, but maybe revive is a good idea? Attract doesn't sound useful to me but never used it so maybe it is useful...? CE is in the P&B tree so gets anough from +skills I think, is maxing lower resist useful or is there a certain lvl one should aim for? More point in the golem part sounds useful to me but havent used that either so maybe it's not as useful as I think)

sry for the overflowing questions!

oh and one more thing, should I go for max block? Didnt seem useful to me as I'll be using bone armor and run away from minions, let my merc/golem get hit... so that would mean I put enough in str for gear, nothing in nrg, nothing in dex, rest in life?

thx again :)

edit:
    one point in blood golem for life bonus to clay golem? Seems useful... but then again, maybe not ;)
    edit2:
    just so it's clear, I can break immunes with lower resist and the minus resist from my gear?

7. Tom123

Tom123 IncGamers Member

I'll answer one of the qs - try and get quite a few in amp and corpse explode. They rock. If there are poison immunes, ur merc kills one and then u amp and explode it to destroy the rest. I aim for similar range on both skills.

8. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

Ok... but isn't the +skills I'll get enough? Im hoping to get some P&B skillers as well in some time (can't afford those now cuz of the bramble infinity forti I wanne make/buy ^^ )
    And isn't it more effective if I lower resist the monsters instead of amplifying them so they get loads of fire dmg from the explosion?

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

It all depends on what you find fun. Right now the build will be effective and viable in Hell. The rest is just bonus material.

It can be a very effective means of crowd control. Also it will create clumps of monsters that make it easier to hit all of them with CE.

It isn’t necessarily useful. You'll have a good BA and you be running away most of the time. Your Merc and Golem should provide a lot of protection. However with a limited number of minions ranged attackers become a greater problem. You can put an end to that threat with some AI curses for crowd control. So block isn't really needed.

Synergies don't benefit from +skills and with 1 point in Clay, GM and Summon resist and a few +skills he'll be very strong. He doesn't need the synergy from BG.

You use LR to break the immunity. LR works at 1/5th of its power when breaking an immunity. After the immunity is broken the -% Enemy Res for your gear kicks in.

10. Tom123

Tom123 IncGamers Member

Well that depends really, more skills = greater range. If the enemies are spread out like souls are, the greater range makes your job much easier. I am making a fishymancer now and I have maxxed CE, the increased range makes a lot of difference, so +skills, while useful may not be enough to rely on.
    Also, LR is approx -50 res IIRC, and Amp is -100 PD, seeing as CE does both fire and damage (50/50??) I think using amp makes more sense. But I haven't tested it so its not possible for me to give a concrete answer.

11. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

Ok, very useful information u guys, thx a lot, I can definately improve the thoughts I had on the build... I'll definately think about that CE Amp thing, and attract sounds useful too for groups

one more question, more skill points in LR? It doesnt sound all that useful to me because it doesnt really get much higher after lvl 10, and I should def get lvl 10 with +skills, so only 1 in LR sounds ok doesn't it?

12. Tom123

Tom123 IncGamers Member

Yep thats what I have. A single P'nova in a single player, hell, act 5, battlenet game after level 10 LR (level 1=>10 with skills) kills almost all normal creatures. Then specials take a little more beating and bosses are easy (although I use decrepify at this point). I haven't found that I can break the immunity on souls, act 5 vipers or certain skeletons (or Venom lords) but every other enemy is...the poisonmancer equivalent of toast.

13. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Didn't somebody post this exact same query a few weeks ago? They even called it a venomancer and said they didn't want skeletons.

Anyway, if you're not going with skeletons you're going to have to work those curses and I would also recommend considering Enigma over Bramble since Gumby and your Merc really aren't going to keep the faster moving monsters off of you and Enigma allows you to nova more monsters at a faster rate even though you lose Bramble's considerable damage bonus.

14. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Because you have three piece trang you have firewall, which is very useful even in hell for those pesky non-removable immunes. Lower resist +firewall while the golem and merc tanks (or dim vision + firewall) will get the first kill or so pretty decently, allowing you to amp + CE the rest of the poison immune crowd away.

Maxing bone wall is a good choice for a venomancer if you decide not to employ summons. With Marrowalks and a maxed bone wall your bone armor will be as strong as a pure bone necro's bone armor.

15. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

I never thought about the fire wall thing, thx for mentioning it, very useful indeed, that works great with my merc's infinity and my lower resist, I feel stupid I never thought about that

I will also think about maxing bone wall to get a nice bone armor :)

By the way, are bone wall/prison of any use to the venomancer?
    (except for being synergies)

@ Pherdnut - I can't afford an enigma on top of the infinity and fortitude, and I also like the idea of having an 888 defense bramble (got myself a 588 defense superior archon :clap: ).
    And there are already so many people using enigma, I wan't to be able to do as much poison damage as possible, and eventually, if I suddenly get insanely rich, I might decide to get an enigma for my necro, or if ladder reset is really soon, I have one NL enigma, my necro will be the only char I'll keep equipped @ non ladder

16. Necrochild313

They would be as useful as they are to any other necromancer build :)

The bone wall will create a well... wall of bone, to occupy enemies if they dont' already have a target, and to block narrow passageways as a defensive gesture

The bone prison would entrap an enemy within bone so he/she cannot come to you, and, like bone wall, will also attract the attention of enemys that do not already have a target.

I wouldn't suggest investing into prison if you plan on using Marrowalks however ;)

17. Suerte

Suerte IncGamers Member

That's the obvious commnet ;)

But what I kinda meant to ask, if there's a bone wall in front of monsters, will they get hit by poison nova?

18. Necrochild313

Yes, bone wall is now a "nuetral" unit. You can't attack it, even on accident.