My Venomancer

jonx

Diabloii.Net Member
My Venomancer

Hello everyone, I decided to create a venomancer, and I need some help. I read all the stickies about them, but I still have some questions...

Skill distribution so far:

20 Poison Dagger
20 Poison Explosion
20 Poison Nova
5 in Lower Resist (With plus skills it goes to -55 enemy pois res)
plus pre reqs for the lower resist.

I will be using this character pimarily for dueling.

The question I had was that most guides will usually use a poison summoner hybrid, but I would rather avoid that. I wanted to make my poison as strong as possible, and I was thinking about maxing Lower Resist for the Poison Nova, is this a good idea? Where else should I put my points? I was thinking about maybe putting points into bone spear or something along with bone spirit synergy. Does Lower Resist help that dmg as well? Like I said I am only doing PvP and I was hoping to be as strong as possible..

Also, I wanted to get a death's web, and someone offered me a 1+ PnB -47 Pois Res deaths web for my 37 Heart of Oak... I thought I was getting ripped, but he said that its a good deal.. what do you guys think? I am on US-WEST.

How much is a good Deaths Web? I have plenty of high runes to sell for them, so I was just curious.

Myrakh-2

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't the stickies give the reason why you don't want to max lower resist?

Just take a look at Arreat Summit: diminishing returns aren't just a bit diminishing, the "increase" is almost a flat line:

lvl 10 -> -55%
lvl 11 -> -56%
lvl 12 -> -57%
lvl 13 -> -58%
lvl 14 -> -59%
lvl 15 -> -60%

So far, still some tiny improvement. But let's continue...

lvl 16 -> -61%
lvl 17 -> -61%
lvl 18 -> -61%
lvl 19 -> -62%
lvl 20 -> -62%

Arreat Summit stops here, but you can expect this to continue to flatline even more.

Of course, even -1% adds some damage --- the real question is, do you want to use all those skillpoints for this tiny amount of damage? That's something you have to answer for yourself, although usually it's a definite "no".

EDIT: Lower Resist does not affect magic damage (i.e. bonespells)

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
jonx said:
Where else should I put my points? I was thinking about maybe putting points into bone spear or something along with bone spirit synergy. Does Lower Resist help that dmg as well? Like I said I am only doing PvP and I was hoping to be as strong as possible..
You could try to build up BW. That in combo with Marrowalk should give you a very sturdy BA to protect yourself.

jonx said:
How much is a good Deaths Web? I have plenty of high runes to sell for them, so I was just curious.
All trading questions are to be asked in the Trade forums.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Zpliffman said:
So how many skill points should you put into lower resistance?
Depending on the amount of +skills about 1. You can easily get to level 10 with some good +skills. Make sure you reach about level 10 with +skills.

jonx

Diabloii.Net Member
so I am on level 70, and I have morrow walks... should i spend the last 20 or so points putting it into bone armour to make me stronger? or should I put it into a decent bone spear?

I figure with a good bone wall, I could at least trap people and then poison them.. no?

HarbingersOfSkulls

Diabloii.Net Member
1- A 37% HoTo for only a +1 death's web is a rip off...hope you didn't do it.
2- A good death's web will cost 1-3 ist's...and a perfect one will go up to 5 ist's.
3- LR only needs 1 single point into it.
4- Don't max bone armor...but max bone wall instead.
5-After maxxing all 3 poison skills, max bone wall and then either put remaining points into spirit or spear...and get either a Gumby or Flamer.

HoS

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
HarbingersOfSkulls said:
1- A 37% HoTo for only a +1 death's web is a rip off...hope you didn't do it.
Actually, the -res in gear is far more important than the +skills for a venomancer hos :p, but you are probably right as far as trade value goes, trade values are so often wrong with usability...I mean christ...look at Tyreal's Might...

HarbingersOfSkulls

Diabloii.Net Member
Necrochild313 said:
Actually, the -res in gear is far more important than the +skills for a venomancer hos :p, but you are probably right as far as trade value goes, trade values are so often wrong with usability...I mean christ...look at Tyreal's Might...
If it was a +2 with even the lowest resist on the death's web...I would trade a 37 HoTo for it...but because it was just a +1 and I've seen them go for pul or um...I would say it would be a rip off for him.

HoS

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
HarbingersOfSkulls said:
If it was a +2 with even the lowest resist on the death's web...I would trade a 37 HoTo for it...but because it was just a +1 and I've seen them go for pul or um...I would say it would be a rip off for him.

HoS
:lol: my point exactly :D

God the trade values are funny...just like a 3/20 escuta goes for so much more than a 3/15, when it's really only giving them about 100 more dmg. The kids dont' realize that the +% only adds to their mastery's +%, it's not a seperate value in the equation.