Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Venomancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by jonx, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jonx

jonx IncGamers Member

My Venomancer

Hello everyone, I decided to create a venomancer, and I need some help. I read all the stickies about them, but I still have some questions...

Skill distribution so far:

20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Explosion
    20 Poison Nova
    5 in Lower Resist (With plus skills it goes to -55 enemy pois res)
    plus pre reqs for the lower resist.

I will be using this character pimarily for dueling.

The question I had was that most guides will usually use a poison summoner hybrid, but I would rather avoid that. I wanted to make my poison as strong as possible, and I was thinking about maxing Lower Resist for the Poison Nova, is this a good idea? Where else should I put my points? I was thinking about maybe putting points into bone spear or something along with bone spirit synergy. Does Lower Resist help that dmg as well? Like I said I am only doing PvP and I was hoping to be as strong as possible..

Also, I wanted to get a death's web, and someone offered me a 1+ PnB -47 Pois Res deaths web for my 37 Heart of Oak... I thought I was getting ripped, but he said that its a good deal.. what do you guys think? I am on US-WEST.

How much is a good Deaths Web? I have plenty of high runes to sell for them, so I was just curious.

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Don't the stickies give the reason why you don't want to max lower resist?

Just take a look at Arreat Summit: diminishing returns aren't just a bit diminishing, the "increase" is almost a flat line:

lvl 10 -> -55%
    lvl 11 -> -56%
    lvl 12 -> -57%
    lvl 13 -> -58%
    lvl 14 -> -59%
    lvl 15 -> -60%

So far, still some tiny improvement. But let's continue...

lvl 16 -> -61%
    lvl 17 -> -61%
    lvl 18 -> -61%
    lvl 19 -> -62%
    lvl 20 -> -62%

Arreat Summit stops here, but you can expect this to continue to flatline even more.

Of course, even -1% adds some damage --- the real question is, do you want to use all those skillpoints for this tiny amount of damage? That's something you have to answer for yourself, although usually it's a definite "no".

EDIT: Lower Resist does not affect magic damage (i.e. bonespells)

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You could try to build up BW. That in combo with Marrowalk should give you a very sturdy BA to protect yourself.

All trading questions are to be asked in the Trade forums.

4. Zpliffman

Zpliffman IncGamers Member

So how many skill points should you put into lower resistance?

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Depending on the amount of +skills about 1. You can easily get to level 10 with some good +skills. Make sure you reach about level 10 with +skills.

6. jonx

jonx IncGamers Member

so I am on level 70, and I have morrow walks... should i spend the last 20 or so points putting it into bone armour to make me stronger? or should I put it into a decent bone spear?

I figure with a good bone wall, I could at least trap people and then poison them.. no?

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

1- A 37% HoTo for only a +1 death's web is a rip off...hope you didn't do it.
    2- A good death's web will cost 1-3 ist's...and a perfect one will go up to 5 ist's.
    3- LR only needs 1 single point into it.
    4- Don't max bone armor...but max bone wall instead.
    5-After maxxing all 3 poison skills, max bone wall and then either put remaining points into spirit or spear...and get either a Gumby or Flamer.

HoS

8. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Actually, the -res in gear is far more important than the +skills for a venomancer hos :p, but you are probably right as far as trade value goes, trade values are so often wrong with usability...I mean christ...look at Tyreal's Might...

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

If it was a +2 with even the lowest resist on the death's web...I would trade a 37 HoTo for it...but because it was just a +1 and I've seen them go for pul or um...I would say it would be a rip off for him.

HoS

10. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

:lol: my point exactly :D

God the trade values are funny...just like a 3/20 escuta goes for so much more than a 3/15, when it's really only giving them about 100 more dmg. The kids dont' realize that the +% only adds to their mastery's +%, it's not a seperate value in the equation.