Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Thrower Barb - Inserts Please

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by wild-seven, Mar 4, 2004.

1. wild-seven

wild-seven IncGamers Member

My Thrower Barb - Inserts Please

Hello all, first time poster but I've been playing since D2's release.
    I know there are multiple threads about Throw barbs but I think I won't get very much attention in an old one so I'll create this one.

Im thinking of doing this one a PvP but at the moment it doesnt matter if it turns out a PvM.

My eq would look something like this:

Helm - Here's the thing I wanna change with this build from the rest. I got multiple Arreats but I wanna try something diffrent. So I was thinking of using Giant Skull (Str, Crushing Blow, Knock back and 2 socks) and I planned to sock it with either: 2 x ed / ias jewels, Shael (For FHR) + Ed / Ias or Shael + Ias / - req (since bone visage requires 106 str). This could be pretty good I think. Of course Im skipping all the nice things from Arreats by using this but what the hell :p

Armor - Smoke
    Weapons - 2 x Ethereal Lacerators (Must get another one)
    Amulet - Highlords
    Rings - 2 x Ravenfrosts for its huge boost in DEX and AR
    Boots - Goreriders, for the crushing blow, deadly strike and open wound stats
    Gloves - Laying of Hands
    Belt - Razortail / Verdungos

Yeah this eq is pretty much it. How do you guys think it will turn out? I'm mostly insterested in the feedback of using Giant Skull.

wild-seven ~

2. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

I would look into 20 ias crafted gloves with ll, and dual stat instead of LoH, also i would switch out of razor for vergundos or SoE (fill in that ll and dr void) also Ill never tell some1 not to try out new things but ive said it before and ill say it again there just isnt a better helm for any barb regardless of build than a AF

3. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

You have a big ias problem. You need to make -99 for the next breakpoint. If you were to use the giant skull and double ias/ed jewel it you would break down like this -30 helm, -20 highlords, -20 gloves, -40 (-10 base and -30 to the weapon itself) for the lacerators. That comes out to 110, enough to make the next breakpoint. Take one of those jewels out and youre at 95 and a lot slower (a throw barb at that point is just to slow for dueling) I think you are better off with an arreats face and an ias/ed jewel then using nosferatus coil for an additional -10, although the slow target may get you in trouble in certain dueling circles (like the cleglaws claw, which is also a no no in some rooms). The only combinations i see working are the af with the nosferatus coil or the skull double ias/ed with the vergundos with that smoke armor. I don't see a way to use the set up you want in conjunction with the shaels in the helm. Throw barbs have to be fast because the lack a skill like guided arrow to lock in aim (don't tell me about name lock it can take up to 3 or 4 seconds before it locks in, and even then it doesn't always work. I despise namelock, and prefrer to target myself)

4. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

the ohter replaies covered the rest of your gear but u need some other weapons.

lacerators are good close range but (coming from a long time thrower) you NEED cruel javalins on switch, without ias armour id suggest using cruel winger harpoons or hyperion javalins, javelins easily have 2 to 3 times the range of throwing axes/daggers and vs some closes u definatly need the range.

5. boochie61

The javs angle is a must unless you want to be the prey for sorc and enigma characters off screen or on the far side of the same screen. Lacerators do not have much range and seem to be unable to kill anything on the far side of the screen youre on. Javs, of all types, not only clear out your screen, but go well into the next. Test it out, go to frigid wp and head just a few inches north. Begin throwing off screen in the direction of eldrich with the lacerators, walk forward and inspect, there won't be one dead monster. Quit and make a new game. Go to frigid with javs and begin throwing from same point. The monsters all come to you as youre throwing because you are hitting and killing them from afar, and they are searching for what hitting them. Once they engage you, you will notice dead bodies and blood everywhere by eldrich because you are connecting. I've tested this, and it's always true.

6. DeathsHand

erm, how is this relevent? i just told him javelins has 2 to 3 times the range of axes/daggers :scratch:

7. boochie61

Simple, you simply told him that javs have two to three times the range. I simply illustrated it for wild seven. A general description isn't enough for some people to comprehend what you are saying. I gave a tangible example so your point ( a good one as I stated) would be able to be understood in game terms. Most player freak when they run into a throw barb, anyway, and a lot of the people on these kind of strings havent built them. I have built a lot of them, so I know a little bit about this build, and I know the questions people ask me when they run into my barb, as I'm sure you have yourself. Just trying to encourage the build, as much fun as it it.

8. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Just a suggestion...but i'd also consider razortail belt for a Throwbarb, as having Lacerator (or a harpoon) piercing through mutiple targets makes them much more efficient killers.

of course, this is for PvM. For PvP, go with what's already been suggested.

-X

9. DeathsHand

ok fair enough, my bad.

also wildseven id suggest getting at least 7k AR if u can but over 10k would be optimal, afterall you need every hit to count with a throw barb.

10. durph

durph IncGamers Member

If you don't mind...what is your skill allocation going to be? I can't seem to find a thrower guide anywhere. thanks

11. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

1. CB is at half (or reduced can't remember it ever) affect with ranged weapons
    2. Giant Skull 2x ias should be fine
    3. Don't use Javs for PvM (tiny stack size) but for PvP they are a nice back up
    4. I'm having trouble with the calc so can someone tell me what breakpoints my Thrower with Dual Gimmers has?

12. boochie61

Base on gimmers is 10 with -30 on item making for a net -20, so you need to get another -79 to make it work however you get it.

13. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

what calc do you use?

14. Hex

Hex IncGamers Member

Ethreal weapons for a throw barb is a big no no. You will go through them so fast you won't be able to have time to let them regenerate. Not saying you couldn't but it's generally a bad idea

15. boochie61

Flying Axe 15 to 66 (40.5 Avg) 17 to 65 (41 Avg) 42 ** 108 1 180 Axe [10]
    Asn, P - Fast
    Ama, B, D, N, S - Norm

Gimmershred
    Flying Axe
    Throw Damage: (39-46) To (171-204) (105-125 Avg)
    One-Hand Damage: (44-52) To (169-201) (106.5-126.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 70
    Required Strength: **
    Required Dexterity: 108
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    Max Stack: (240)
    +160-210% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Adds 218-483 Fire Damage
    Adds 29-501 Lightning Damage
    Adds 176-397 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration (Normal)
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    Increased Stack Size [60]
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or late
    This is direct from arreat summit.

16. boochie61

I'll tell you how I deal with the ethereal thing. I throw my demon arches first, then switch to Gimmers. By the time the gimmers are depleted, I have somewhere between 40-60 again. The newer fast replenishing javs have made old concerns about them non relevent.