My thoughts on the WitchDoc...

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member
My thoughts on the WitchDoc...

I'm starting to believe that the WD isn't a necro replacement. This much we can believe. Now, that also means, if I may be so bold, is that we can expect the Necro to not be in this game as a playable character. Lame, I know.

Anyway, I have an idea as to what it might be, though it's pure speculation.

I think the WD may have mastery over the plagues from The Book Of Exodus.

We're talking frogs, water to blood, fire from the skies, locusts, ect.

On the flipside of that, you DO have a nerfed version of the Necro working within this scheme. Obviously, he does have limited mastery of the undead. Soul Harvesting, Zombie Wall.

Sadly, I think you can expect the WD to be likened to the Necromancer. Much like the Druid was related to the Barbarian.

So what I'm guessing is this guy is probably going to have mastery over plagues with a dash of Necromancy.

I'm really not sure if I'm cool with that. In fact, I'm kind of annoyed about it.

If that's the case, I think I'll stick to the Barbarian.

As a fan of the game, no I don't want D3 to be Diablo 2 :3D, but I REALLY don't want the new classes to even come close to resembling the classes of D2. In other words, keep your mages and your paladins and your Druids well the hell out of the Necromancy.

inferno272

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: My thoughts on the WitchDoc...

5 Characters...

Barb and W.D. are confirmed.

You can all but guarantee there will be a Sorcerer type character, and a bow type character (Sorcy and Zon)

Which leaves 1 character class we dont know about. My guess is its a totally new character class. With 3 classes already being brought back, i think theyd want to have at least 2 that are totally new. A tinkerer type character might be interesting. Some kind of character who builds devices kinda like the assassain to survive.

CaptainDingo

Diabloii.Net Member

I was disappointed with the Assassin, I'd like to see a more basic Rogue (as in cloak and daggers and ambushes, not exploding traps and martial arts) class being put into play in Diablo III. But that's just me, I've got a Rogue thing.

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member

Okay, honestly, not that I can do anything about it, but I'll just say it.

Elements+ Necro = fail
Druid + Necro = Epic FAIL
Necro + Better Necro = Epic Win

I'm willing to see a more disease version of plagues with heavy necromancy overtones.

But I will be down right venomous if this witchdoc has overt necro abilities while summoning either snakes, hounds, demons, or what have you.

There is a STRIKING difference between your regular summoner and a Necromancer.

I don't even mind a more direct version of Necromancy for the Witch Doctor, where it's not based on making zombie mobs, but really going in a sick sick direction with curses and plagues such as converting enemies into zombies, stealing their souls, causing their fresh bodies to explode on death, ect.

But for the Witch Doc to basically be some mish mash of a regular summoner with a necromancer just reeks of pure fail. It damages the aesthetic of Necromancy.

Then again, the Necromancer had mastery over poison, curses, and undead summons.

We could see the Witch Doctor having mastery over fire, plagues, and zombification/undead. That might be pretty interesting. Just so long as the plagues aren't too nature related and more... overtly death related like putrid flesh and such.

CanAbyss

Diabloii.Net Member

I think the witch doctor looks really good, it looks a hell of a lot more powerful than the d2 nec because honestly the necro's summons were just way to weak.

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe off-topic, but necromancer was the best summoner.

Anyway, I think making both a witch-doctor and a necromancer is just stupid. I think the witchdoctor should be a tiny bit of fire, quite much disease and stuff, and quite much undead too. He should get quite much from the necromancer, but I'd like him to keep the vodoo and jungle spells too. Maybe fire bomb, and all fire skills should go away. I don't think he should use fire.

Hello Jim

Diabloii.Net Member

Doesn't the WD resembles exactly to the Necro?
1 tree- Summoning
2 tree- Plauges and Fire (Bone and Psn)
3 tree- ? (Cureses probably)

I like the Necro in D2, and I like the WD in D3, as long as the skills are different (different summons, different curses etc).
However, IMo the fire skills should be more Godlike. I mean, it's a WD. He prays to gods (no, not God) for his powers, so Firestorm matches it exactly. Too bad the Dudu has used it already. But something of that type.

arlington

Diabloii.Net Member

'The Book of Exodus'? Lol, just say the bible instead of trying to sound all mystical and well read man. No one will flame you for it.

And those pets did look like frogs from hell.

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member

'The Book of Exodus'? Lol, just say the bible instead of trying to sound all mystical and well read man. No one will flame you for it.

And those pets did look like frogs from hell.

It wasn't my intention to sound mystical, but there's more than just the Exodus that had plagues.

Fearlessone

Diabloii.Net Member
WD will prob hex, bind animals, zombies and we'd like potions plz

...But I will be down right venomous if this witchdoc has overt necro abilities while summoning either snakes, hounds, demons, or what have you.

But for the Witch Doc to basically be some mish mash of a regular summoner with a necromancer just reeks of pure fail. It damages the aesthetic of Necromancy.

Then again, the Necromancer had mastery over poison, curses, and undead summons.

We could see the Witch Doctor having mastery over fire, plagues, and zombification/undead. That might be pretty interesting. Just so long as the plagues aren't too nature related and more... overtly death related like putrid flesh and such.
Some good ideas here. I would suppose that a witch doctor will exert more control over the living than the dead. It would be interesting if they bound snakes, crows and hellhounds in the immediate area to their will as minions. Necros and Druids (and to a much lesser extent, Zons -> valks, Assassins too) have summons ability, and its overwhemingly likely Blizzard will find one of the 5 char classes to do this ---> and the W.D. is a shoo-in.

Guild Wars does this for its Necros. Reviving corpses and having to make corpses in the first place is very necromancer-ish, so binding animals in the area to their will fits into the mold already created for the WD. Necros in D2 already have some mind control, such as the Confuse curse subtree. Remember: it wasnt' a very popular subtree; there were better curses to be had. Mind control can either mean binding/charming area animals, or hexing nasties, or enchanting allies in some way.

Will W.D.'s be able to make and use potions for healing and damage dealing in some way? Maybe to temporarily enchant another players weapon with fire? Put poison on the tip? Having a barb throwing a WD's potions is something that was never fully exploited in D2. Potions were weak at latter stages and hard to find.

Will WD's cast bones that he collects to empower a spell? Amazingly, some ppl dont remember that D2 already had WD's, namely shamans and Witch Doctor Endugu at the end of the Flayer Dungeon. They had fire balls and could revive. (Poison is nice for fire immunes and vice-versa. This is a good combo that the necro in LoD has already.) The minions of shamans, such as carvers and flayers are all small, cute (too cute) critters. I expect Blizzard will repeat this. I also expect them to have instead of a golem summons to always protect, to use a zombie summons. Unfortunately, zombies dont move very fast and would have to be recast for the next area.

PontifulGC

Diabloii.Net Member

I think the witch doctor looks really good, it looks a hell of a lot more powerful than the d2 nec because honestly the necro's summons were just way to weak.

uh.. yeah

A summon necro could destroy all of hell with incredible speed and safety. Also, they could stack up over 400 magicfind without hurting much on the kill speed factor and without hacked charms or ultra exotic gear. I don't know where you were doing those moments.

Teleportation

Diabloii.Net Member

uh.. yeah

A summon necro could destroy all of hell with incredible speed and safety. Also, they could stack up over 400 magicfind without hurting much on the kill speed factor and without hacked charms or ultra exotic gear. I don't know where you were doing those moments.
Yeah they were pretty OP.

Good riddance.

PontifulGC

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah they were pretty OP.

Good riddance.
ohhh... so you played them or saw others successfully playing them in the past 3-4 years?

yeah that was when the patches made the game imbalanced and uncreative. Before then no one was a summon necro. Like a miniscule percent. then you got the partial "trang" wearing 1 amp curse only necro kiddie crap who you dont like. 7 years prior, for a full 7 years at least, necro's were rare to be seen and had no ability whatsoever to be OP. The patches were the new trend to dumbify the game for "kids" to "love" and feel "good" about themselves playing it for 2 months before they ditch it and buy a 400 watt graphics card to try and play crisis and max frames ftw! omgosh!

people just dont see the whole thing. thats why i came out of the woodwork. to rain on this slighted parade.