Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My thoughts on Orb, and Meph results

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Æ’enris, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

My thoughts on Orb, and Meph results

Okay guys, I must admit I was a little hesitant, but orb was definitely worth it. I had been taking some big hits, and my resists are less then perfect, but I'm doing great vs. meph.
    Some stats for you guys.
    Level 76
    527-553 Orb, -155% Mastery (lvl 28)
    Life: 1007, Mana: 473
    Block: 20% (base dex)
    Resists: 30/23/56/-17
    Skills: Max Orb, Bolt, Cold Mastery, rest into Telekenisis
    MF: around 650
    Average run, about a minute, fastest run was 25 seconds

Gear
    Occy (7 fhr, 1 dex, 3 mana per kill, 8% DTM jewel)
    'Rhyme' Troll Nest
    Tals Armor (ptopaz) Ammy, and belt
    Shako (Ptopaz)
    2x 25ish Nagels
    39 Chancies
    48 Travs
    1-13-18-6 Anni, the rest of inventory filled with 7mf sc, except 3 rows

Merc: A5 merc, using 'Eth' Doom, 'Ber' Shaft (was happy I had this lying around on dead mercs), Ethereal Pruby 6ll Arreats

OH, and finds from 30 runs

Uniques:
    2x Bonehew
    Eth Titan's
    3/3 Die Cold Facet
    Manald
    Mahim Oak
    7/13 SoE
    Eth Edge
    Arreats

Rares:
    Nothing good, 247 e/d Ogre Axe was the best

Others of mention:
    3/12/10 Small Charm ^___^

For people saying Orb sucks...you're wrong. I can see you guys sitting there spamming orb hitting Meph with 2-4 shards and going 'omg I'll make blizz sorc!!1' :lol:
    The key is placement. As Orb explodes, it releases a full circle of bolts. You want it to explode right next to Meph, because the bolts are packed tightly, so you can get a huge section of them to hit. If you do this right you'll notice his health drop FAST. My highlight was a four orb kill, perfect placement really, overall it's usually 6 or so. Study your orb pattern to get the best shots.
    And yes, I saw the blizz sorc video, but that guy killed in what, 2-3 blizz, but I have twice his mf on.

Just my two cents, and please don't turn this into another Blizz vs. Orb debate, I'm just stating some facts, my thoughts, and some results.

-Æ’en

2. RunningUppercut

RunningUppercut Banned

I have 709 MF on my Blizz Sorc, and I have maxed resists.

I just recently made and completed a Meteorb sorc for a comparison, and I'm going back to my Blizz sorc.

Orb blows. It's too slow. Blizzard shreds Meph, Baal, Pindle, and Diablo. :thanks:

Edit: My Blizzard damage is 6,500

3. GITO86

GITO86 IncGamers Member

wow i was just thinking of making an orb mf sorc, with almost EXACTLY the same build. the ONLY difference is the rings and gloves... ima have to go with sojs and magefist, cuz im a mana ***** ;D

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Maxed Orb placed well is very powerful, no doubt.
    This works even with an FO from a Meteor build.

Usually you dont want to stand right up in Mephs face when you use FO, but slightly away amd diagonal. if you try this out you will see that Meph starts loosing more health if you place yourself well.
    To far away from Meph will have a diminishing effect again.

5. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

My god..
    I don't care whether or not you're a Pal, this is not a blizz vs. orb thread.
    You do what you want, I do what I want.
    BTW, at 500 orb, I have to hit with 13 shards to equal your blizz damage, which is possible, my delay is lower, and I spent almost half the points you do, learn to aim Orb.
    That's all I'm going to say, let's just not argue about it?

6. melianor

What the reason to start flaming? Did he/she say anythign about beiing part of the dii pal program??!?! I want to see the damage from all orb-shards equaling the damage of one single Blizzard shard though. Dont think that is possible ;)

BUT as this is not the Blizz vs. Orb thread i agree that the right orb placement is absolutly important!!

7. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

It wasn't a flame at all.
    I specifically say, let's not turn this into a blizz vs. orb debate.
    And the FIRST post is 'omg orb sucks, my blizz ownzor it!'

8. RunningUppercut

RunningUppercut Banned

I didn't turn this into a Orb vs Blizzard thread. Notice that I did state that I made a new Meteorb Sorc, and didn't like anything about it. I have been using my Blizzard Sorc for MF for months, and it may be that Blizzard is what I am accustomed to. I do know how to AIM Orb very well, and I do see where it can be good damage. But I am tainted by 6,500 damage shards of ice raining down, and seeing huge chunks of life disappearing. Additionally, Blizzard is basically "Set it and forget it." You can cast it and tele around for safety, then cast again... I found myself getting in harms way far to often just because I was trying to position my Orb to hit well.

What my Blizzard sorc can do:

Baal
    Pindle
    Meph
    Diablo
    Countess (Merc mostly)
    Mausoleum

Cannot do: Pit (can do with much frustration)

I am a little baffled by your resposes, becuase it does seem that this is a discussion forum. I made a post saying that I have done Meteorb and Blizz, and that I like Blizz better for my purposes. Being dual element is awesome for questing, but it just doesn't work for me for MF.

That's all I am going to say, because even this will irritate you. Take it easy man:smad:

9. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Personally I'm an FO lover, and you're right that aim is what makes the difference. It took me awhile to figure this out, and it really matters. Its all just a matter of personal preference(bliz vs fo)...whatever suits you best, is best for you. and we can all be best friends :buddies:

10. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

You do forget that blizzard hits at least once a second (moreso against groups), stacks with another one and you can spam ice blast in-between. Sure you can spam ice bolt with orb but it's not really the same.

You post your thoughts, i post mine :) I do agree that mephisto is almost as easy with orb as with blizzard, few sidesteps and then an orb isn't all that hard anyway, while most of the time you're using teleporting to him anyway.

11. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Sometimes blizz won't hit at all though :thumbsup:
    And you're looking at more like 3-4k blizz with 600+ mf.
    I just think there's too big a difference in point investment, when yes orb is as good or nearly as good as blizz for meph.
    BTW, you're killing so fast, with a decent merc you shouldn't die, my merc hasn't died, and Meph hasn't hurt me much. Mainly thanks to energy shield, which I can synergize thanks to only one synergy on orb :lol:

12. Hacker24

Hacker24 IncGamers Member

I don't like the long timer on Blizz, so i use orb. Orb is more fun for me to use. I play this game for fun. See spot run.

13. RunningUppercut

RunningUppercut Banned

No, it's just because you need to learn where to aim Blizzard.

Like I said earlier. 709 MF with a 6,500 Blizzard.

I took my Orb sorc for a whirl again tonight, and I still feel the same. However, whatever works for you works. I like Blizz. You like Orb.

14. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

What gear? :lol:
    Learn to aim blizz, ha, click on meph omg difficult.
    I just wanna know the gear you're getting that with.

15. melianor

Indeed you have to learn to aim Blizzard just like you have to learn how to aim Frozen Orb right, like you posted.

Infact both of you are right.
    Blizzard needs to be aimed not by clicking on the monster by more by aiming at their feet. Meaning aiming at Mephisto's feet (if you can call that feet :lol: )
    With this technique the most shards from Blizzard will hit him and thats it.

p.s.: why mock a poster? he/she could be right........

16. ssmsdb

ssmsdb IncGamers Member

Sup,I've always been a big fan of FO and currently play HCL,So safety is also a big factor,with my maxed FO,all syns and masteries,I'm still able to max Tk with 65% ES ,75% block and I'm able to pretty much smoke Meph and Andy with no real fear of dieing,But there is really no way this char could ( atleast mine ) run Baal quickly and safely but would I be able to with a Blizz sorce and still maintain the degree of safety vs killing speed the my current build offers........( and as someone stated earlier,no names ,Orb does not blow )
    The items that I would be useing are :Full Tals ,2 SOJ'S ,Chances, Travelors, Rhym'd Tower ,and on switch for Tele : Wizard and Lidless.

Scott

17. wind

wind IncGamers Member

What I have found with FO is the ablity to judge the moment when you can lay off casting the FOs and let a merc with even more mf, have the killing hit.

18. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

That could be done easier with Blizzard sorc as they have Glacial Spike and Ice Blast at their disposal. They can freeze those none CI for the merc to kill, or use them to sliver the hp of the bosses.

BTW Blizzard sorcs can do 8 people cow run no problem while Orb sorcs will have much harder time in that :p

As you said learn to cast Orb, well, learn to cast Blizzard and you will have more shards to hit the bosses. While Blizzarding, you still can fire a few high damage Ice Blast too.

At the end each has their own good, you like your play style I like mine. You like ES with max block, I like all VIT with 0 ENR.

19. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I would by no means be so bold or crass to say (or think) that orb 'sucks'. I have an orb sorc which I love, but for pure killing speed with mephisto, orb cannot compete with blizzard. Here is my gear on my Blizzard sorc:
    Topaz Shako
    +29 Maras Amulet
    Topaz Skullders
    Heart of the Oak Flail / 106 MF Ali Baba
    Diamond Lidless / Rhyme Grim Shield
    18/18 Wisp Projector
    29 Nagelring
    38 War Traveler Boots
    39 Chance Guards
    Goldwrap
    5 Cold Charms
    7 7%smf charms

This dials in at 520% MF (Bonus question, what level am I? ;))

I don't bother using static field because it is actually much slower than letting blizzard do its work. I make it to meph, teleport right next to him, cast a blizzard (2 ice blasts) another blizzard, teleport away and switch to my mf weapons, and cast one more blizzard for the kill, occasionally two if I get poor hits.

However, frozen orb is so versatile that it is in my opinion still one of the best skills a sorceress has. I still enjoy it greatly for pvp.

20. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

So you're saying 3-4 blizzards, when orb takes 2-3 with less delay if you know how to aim it. I fail to see how blizz is faster, especially when you have 5 cold charms LOL.