Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My thoughts on 1.12 Fishymancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Qonmus, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Qonmus

Qonmus IncGamers Member

My thoughts on 1.12 Fishymancer

Hi everyone. I'm just trying to share some of my experiences building a fishymancer for anyone who's interested in trying it or thinking about it.

First off, I haven't played since .09, but when I did play I had all kinds of characters; zealots, fury barbs, multi-shot zons, bow druids, bow paladins, a smiter, a pvp bonemancer, all kinds.

And I just want to say that this is easily in my top 3 favorite builds.

Fishymancer is a blast. Especially once you get the CE engine going; you just sit back and blow everything up. It's great. I felt like a god all through NM with the might merc, also.

Currently level 82, still at act 4 in Hell.

A few thoughts.

I have 10 points in skeleton mages from skills. They seem pretty useless at this point, so I can't really recommend them.

I added a few extra points into amplify damage, and I feel like it was well worth it. The added range really comes in handy for corpse explosions. On that note, definitely max corpse explosion....just do it. I'm trying to decide what to put the rest of my points in right now, and honestly I'll probably just do bone armor + bone wall, as my necro in .09 had bone wall and I just think its fun.

thoughts on gear..
    well, going through completely untwinked, I feel I can recommend a few things for a fledgling fishymancer.

A 4 ptopazed armor will go a long way, and won't really detract from anything. In fact, I recommend getting as much MF gear as you can while leveling, so when you get to hell you can afford some goodies. As far as the mercenary goes, I really recommend Insight. It's so easy to do...I put it in a Giant Thresher, and its made a huge difference. You can just sit back and literally spam corpse explosion and just watch everything die.

If you have some decent MF, and are having a bit of trouble when you first get to Hell, try running the Pit a few times. You get decent experience, and you might be surprised at what you find.

Oh well, just some of my thoughts, I hope someone trying to start a fishymancer can take something from this.

On one final note, read the guide.

2. DSnail

DSnail IncGamers Member

Re: My thoughts on 1.12 Fishymancer

I'm making a fishymancer too and it sure is fun. Had an 80+ one before I left D2 a while ago and decided to remake one. Just a point, are you sure that you want bone wall? Wouldn't it just hurt your minions path finding even more? - Your choice I guess.

3. Qonmus

Qonmus IncGamers Member

Yeah that's a good point. Hadn't thought of that. In any case, I feel like any skill I get isn't going to be used at all...So we'll see.

4. evev

evev IncGamers Member

Making a fishymancer three. Plenty of things I'm uncertain about but he's only clevel 11 and I'm just having fun.

My biggest worry is fishymancer viability in hell difficulty. Qonmus, do you think your fishymancer will be able to run Hell Baal or is that sorc territory only?

5. Spamisgood

Spamisgood IncGamers Member

I am in the same situation as the OP. I played last when Blood Golem + Iron Maiden was the "thing" to do with necros. Coming back, my Fishy is now level **.

At first you will be unable to "run" Baal. You can kill him with +20mast +20raise and decrepify, but it takes awhile. Once you get about +10 to your skeletons you will start noticing a difference in your army. They will start dealing alot of damage, and almost nothing (except insanely buffed archer boss packs) can kill them. Even baal.

Now that my skeletons are level 41, I have absolutely no problem killing hell baal, I also no longer use decrepify, it's just not necessary. Amplify damage, and very rarely Life tap, if I happen upon one of those aforementioned boss packs, are the only curses I use anymore.

I cannot however kill him (alone) in a timely manner in an 8 player game without my merc. He no longer can kill my skeletons, but they can't deal fast enough damage to make it worth it.

6. evev

evev IncGamers Member

Hang on, you mean your Raise Skeleton skill is at level 41?? If so, that's awesome! Any tips on what equipment to look for to get there (and/or do you just have a lot of skiller charms? :p )?

7. Robdeijn

Robdeijn IncGamers Member

Well if you want pure +skills you could get an Arm of King Leoric wand for +5 raise skellies and +5 skellie mastery. Theoretically (i.e. good luck finding one) you can also get a massive +7 to rais skellies / skellie mastery on a rare necro shield (+2 necro skills, +2 summoning, +3 raise skellies). More realistically a Homunculous would be a good option. Only +2 skills, but a great blocking rate and nice resistances.

Another theoretical option would be a rare circlet with +2 necro and +2 summoning skills. More realistically you should probably get Harlequin's crest for the +2 skills and some other nice bonuses.

SOJs are nice for rings with +1 to all skills and 25% max mana. If you don't need the mana, you can get Bul Kathos for some additional life.
    A +3 summoning amulet would provide the most skills, but Mara's Kaleidoscope has some nice resists as well as +2 skills.

Arachnid Mesh belt adds another +1 to all skills, but it's not all that easy to get.

*Disclaimer: I've only been playing for a week after a 3-4 year D2 break, so some of the information might not be entirely correct. :)

8. Deathwish

Deathwish IncGamers Member

Should I max RS or CE first?

9. UncleSporky

UncleSporky IncGamers Member

RS definitely. The question shouldn't even be RS or CE, it should be RS or SM, and the answer is still RS. Otherwise you will have huge problems finishing Normal and getting into Nightmare.

You won't have the mana for CE anyway until you get Insight.

I recommend 3 points into mages initially just for the quick first 3 you can get. At least a few are worth it, no matter what anyone says, just for the ice slowing and poison heal prevention (the only point of poison mages, their poison length gets up in the 10+ minutes).

10. Greyeagle

Greyeagle IncGamers Member

This, unfortunately, is not possible. With a lot of work, and I do mean a lot, you could potentially get +5skellies on a rare necro head. I've never seen anyone dedicated enough to accomplish the task.

That is an excellent option.

Assuming standard fishy, follow the guide. Max Raise Skeleton, then max Skeleton Mastery, then max CE.

11. Spamisgood

I will tell you my gear and give suggestions on what to get until you have the better pieces, most of these suggestions will be things you can gamble for quite easily.

Also, my gear is still far from complete. I still want to get infinity, and beast and I am still looking for that elusive +3/+3 2soc wand to make white with. I also wouldn't mind getting a new belt. I am by no means an expert of necro, but I have leveled alot of them so I feel I know what I'm talking aboot. Again, these are just my opinions.

Head: Shako w Ptopaz. Use any gambled +skills coronet until you acquire, but remember you cannot gamble +skills until level 37.

Ammy: Kaleidoscope. Use a tele ammy until you get Enigma and then if you still don't have Kaleidoscope after getting Enigma then gamble a +skill or craft a +res all (Or acquire a +skill AND +res all if you can)

Body: Enigma. Use 4 soc gothic plate w Ptopaz until you get it.

Belt: Upd Goldwrap. Until I got goldwrap I used my belt slot to up any stats I might need to wear any gear like +str or +dex.

Gloves: Chanceguards. Use any gambled +mf gloves until you get it.

Boots: I switch between Marrow and Wartravs. Just use some gambled up MF/run speed boots until you get one of these. Make sure any boots you have have runspeed on them as early as possible. It will just speed up your overall progression towards hell. I really can't stress this enough, RUN SPEED > ALL until you get to hell IMO.

Rings: SOJs usually, but for baal runs I swap one out for wisp. Try to get ahold of dwarf stars or nagels until you get these. I still keep my Nagels though, sometimes I just like seeing how much MF I can squeeze out.

Weapon: Leorics, swapped out for Gull when MFing. Use any +3 summon wand until you get it.

Shield: Homonculus w pdiamond. Gamble up a sigons or whitstans until you get it.

My charms are 3 summon (2 have FHR which is very important to have if teleporting) and a torch and a gheeds. I also have about +30 lit resist charms. Lightining is the only element you will fear, so stack those charms.

Edit: Forgot my merc gear, and as a necro our merc is arguably the most important of any class, so yeah, you need to keep him geared well.

-MERC GEAR-
    +4 Ariocs
    Andys Visage
    Eth Hellforged Duress

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  12. Qonmus

Qonmus IncGamers Member

Yeah, I mean load up on the + skills. I'm on east scl, and the easiest way to get +skills right now is certainly arm of king leoric and trang's armor. That alone will give you a pretty nice boost to your skeletons.

Honestly, totally untwinked, I haven't even finished Hell and I have level 31 skeletons. If you're proactive about it, it's really not all that difficult at all. I haven't gotten to Baal yet, but I'm fairly confident I'll be able to solo him, though probably not with nearly as much efficiency as a sorc.

13. Spamisgood

I think you're going to surprise yourself :thumbup:

14. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

Mages are great, but they will need at least 10 +skills to do good damage. Enigma and infinity make them really good. Being able to focus the mages with tele easily makes them feel 10 times stronger.

Unfortunately, mages get damage and life from raise skeleton mage. So if you are going to do mages, you need to invest a full 20 points or they will have low HP and low damage.