Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My take on the graphics, you are all right in the wrong way. der=0

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by scottasin, Jun 29, 2008.

1. scottasin

scottasin IncGamers Member

My take on the graphics, you are all right in the wrong way.

Really, what I'm trying to say is this; the graphics for D3 are great IMHO. There have been those sets of pictures posted on every topic about the graphics (http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7807/itshouldrh5.jpg). I feel that these pictures are getting closer to what we need, but are too drastic in some ways, and don't bring enough in others.

Some people have pointed out the 'cartoonishness' of the new graphics. I really don't see anything particularly cartoony about them. What I do see that I don't like is a very rounded feel to everything, all of the solid objects seem to round off rather than coming to sharp menacing points .

Other people have pointed out the color scheme, which is wrought with cool, natural hues, like greens and blues. I feel that the Blizz (the big B from now on) could back off a bit on this, but mainly need to bring back more greys, blacks and browns. The only reds and organges IMO should be ambient lighting and blood.

Really, the biggest things missing from what we've seen are the small details, like the flayed corpses in the catacombs, the bloody pentagrams scattered throughout the game, and a general look of disrepair in everything. The dungeon we saw seemed to well kept, where IMO it should seem old and crumbling, the sort of place you'd be afraid to go in, even if you knew there werent demons that wanteed to eat you alive in it, just because you thought it might collapse on you at any moment.

Really, the biggest change I would make is less light, in D1 and 2, items would have to give you more light radius so you could see whats coming, and I think this should be even more important in D3, there are many points in the video where there is an 'ambush' that you see coming from miles. Wouldn't it be neat if you had to have more LR so you can see them coming. In D3 currently, you see to much. All that the Big B has to do is lower the brightness setting and voila, perfect.

The image I posted at the top seemed to get the color scheme closer to what we need, and accentuated the cracks in the floor and broken look of things, but didn't really add anything.

In short, what I'd like to see is more broken, dead and decrepit stuff, a few more blood spatters here or there, and a darker color scheme.

In D2, IMO, the scariest place is the durance of hate, and I think that if D3 looked more like this, I'd be happy. The durance has all sorrts of great scary stuff in it, but most people dont see it because they're too busy teleporting to meph.

2. Mihail

Mihail IncGamers Member

Re: My take on the graphics, you are all right in the wrong way.

Exactly! Give the game a durance overhaul! Not only that, but take note on how the cathedral looks in terms of disrepair. Excellent post.

3. ziocs

ziocs IncGamers Member

What really bothers me is the inconsistency of the gameplay trailer and the cinematic trailer/artwork. If they made the visual style of the gameplay consistent with the cinematics/artwork, I think it would be a big improvement.

4. Sentarius

Sentarius IncGamers Member

Actually, I disagree. Light radius also triggers monsters, so you want to have items that reduce it as much as possible.

This raises the question of how exactly monsters are triggered in Diablo III. In the gameplay video this morning they always seemed to be at a full charge from off screen.

5. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I believed they don't want to reveal the storyline, like keep us in suspense.

The trailer is only one of the many places you can venture into D3, yes you noticed the crumbling structures, which IMO is the highlight of that particular area. Corpses, pentagrams etc etc might be the highlights of OTHER places , and adding too much stuff to one particular area might be OVERDOING things a little.

6. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I didn't notice any sort of light radius affect on the chr's. Maybe I'm wrong, but did they remove the mod all together from D3? I sort of thought the glowing classes made them look more heroic and magical. Afterall, they are decked out head to toe in magic items. I'll be a bit sad to see the light radius mod disappear, but I guess they may have thought it to be too insignificant in the previous games.
    On a happier note, they switched the measurement system from yards to feet. We all know what a foot is.

7. Garisdacar

Garisdacar IncGamers Member

i don't think the graphics are done yet, the details like corpses on the ground and stuff are prolly gonna be added later, i imagine.

8. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

It depends on the story.

I really think it's okay to have colorful areas that aren't a run down mess if it's early in the game areas. Before the evil has soaked itself in. But, anything down the road, should be well and truly evil.

I agree with the poster here. There's nothing wrong with colors. But, you have to maintain the feel of terror. Although when that gigantic thing walked by in the background of the in-door dungeon, I about flipped. It had to be HUUUUGE. the hand was the size of the bridge.

As long as it's diverse, and not so prevalently outside as D2, which I've learned to live with, but am not crazy about, and it follows up on the promise just shown, I'm happy.

MY concerns are class balance. The witch doctor did not appeal to me really at all.

9. Arioch

Arioch IncGamers Member

I really like the look of the new graphics. I like how the outdoor environments look almost like a painting. There are going to be plenty of creepy gray underground areas, so I think it's good that some areas have more color and light. No need for everything to be the same.

10. Werzoth

Werzoth IncGamers Member

Personally it's not much of a concern. I didnt like several classes in Diablo 2 (druid, assassin, necro) so I just didnt play them. I enjoyed the other classes though. Everyone has a different play style and like different things, hence the multiple classes :)

11. Zagggon

Zagggon IncGamers Member

Yes I agree with the OP 100%, less light, actually, why arent they following the light radius standard they set in D1 and D2? What is with this forgetfull madness on their part? Are they caving to WoW influenced devs or something? Oh this is stressfull indeed.

12. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Spot on, mate!

13. scottasin

There do need to be some downright scary places, but there also need to be places that are less scary to show just how bad the scary ones are. This contrast will help the atmosphere overall, because you'll remember those 'highlight' dungeons where you wanted to just get through it as fast as you could because you thought you could die at any second.

IMO, the key to this is to have the right proportions and order of scary/less scary areas. The forboding feeling should build up throughout the course of an act, with dungeons scattered through the less scary areas too to give a preview of things to come.

14. mibir

mibir IncGamers Member

Wonderful post, couldn't agree more.

15. DarkEsprit

DarkEsprit IncGamers Member

Ah... the days of the D1 Gotterdamerninja (or Gotterdamnit'sdark). The problem is that most items that remove light radius traditionally have been cursed items.

16. Vertigo X

Vertigo X IncGamers Member

So you're saying that out of the entire Sanctuary world there can't be any settings like they currently have? ALL of it needs to be dark and gloomy? In addition, are you suggesting that ALL of the dungeons need to have cracks and dilapidation in their walls?

I suggest you look at some of the dungeons in D2; not all of them look like they're falling apart.

17. scottasin

read my above post. I'm not saying everywhere has to be pure horror, having some places be less scary makes the scary places scarier.

18. Mikedn

Mikedn IncGamers Member

Great post, I agree with ya. Keep in mind though that we have just seen a fraction of the world so far and we are only judging the maps/terrain that Blizzard showed to us. I know what you mean though and I do agree, hopefully Blizzard realizes that most Diablo players would prefer something more gloomy/eerie/scary, etc. to match the atmosphere of the series.

19. derek39

derek39 IncGamers Member

well really if people keep talking about it chances are blizz will create it that way since its only some color changes and some shadows here and there. or maybe they will make a night/day transition with evil more powerful and abundant at night than day

20. ExtraStrongFireEnchanted

ExtraStrongFireEnchanted IncGamers Member

New graphics is kick ***. IMO can't expect to see all the 'best' in what looks to be the introductory zone. Look at the map at www.diablo3.com You'll see the video is from one of the lighest so to speak areas of the world, simply speaking normal countryside, where people live (Tristram). People don't choose to live among piles of bones where the sun never shines do they? Still the colour pallete as I see it is not exactly 'warm'. And when the sky turned cloudy and it started raining, there we had our 'cold plains' feeling, enhanced. I gotta say I love how Blizzard uses more colours but still retains the good old diablo atmosphere.

Now you gotta wait to see those "bony' areas of the north. The jungles. Even Lut to have a full view of what we are going to see.

Lastly, the cathedral was perfect. And I am sure we are going to see alot of dungeon, caves, holes, whatnot.

Overall thumbs up from me.