Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My take on D4

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Tivook, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Tivook

Tivook Diabloii.Net Member

Hi there,

With all the recent rumors going around I figured I'd share my take on the D4 rumor.

Blizzard is a business so to me its highly unlikely to see them retire the Diablo franchise, however we all know D3 wasn't really a huge success. At the same time, instead of focusing on Diablo Blizzard spent tons and tons of money on their Titan project which we all know failed to deliver.

However despite abandoning Titan Blizzard most likely managed to develop a new engine for Titan which was left unused, perhaps a fraction of it was used for Overwatch but I believe that the engine has a much greater potential knowing how incredibly vast and complex Titan was supposed to be judging by the comments made by anonymous devs after the project was abandoned.

Overwatch to me is a great game but it's far from complex.

Therefore it's not unthinkable to believe that Diablo 4 might become an mmo built on the Titan engine.

Of course, this is all pure speculation but knowing how much time Blizzard put into Titan and how much it costs to develop a new engine it's not economically feasible to spend that much without applying some kind of damage control.

mrpinsky likes this.
  2. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

Ok, I'll bite. Admittedly I should be keeping up with what engines Blizzard are working on. As none of those games have a great deal of appeal to me its easy for me to miss important technical details relating to these products, or are they services, they like to blur that line these days.

Based on D4 news or what little of it, your thoughts are perfectly rational imo. I wonder when they choose to start a new engine and when to revamp old ones. I agree with damage control theory, basic principles of cannabalism apply. I was just going to add a whole lot of other stuff about content creation and timelines etc etc. If there be some true to what you say, it would certainly make those other games more interesing to me.

3. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I would argue that D3 was a success, in terms of number of units sold. Activision shareholders may view it that way. Indeed, Blizzard took a lot of heat about it and spent a lot of time and resources on "making it right" but the shareholders probably don't care about that and may not even know. Blizzard does care about that, however since those resources couldn't be used elsewhere. They know what the game has really cost them in terms of engineering time and resources.

D4? I hope so, but am skeptical about an announcement this weekend.

s4nder likes this.
  4. Fearhad

Fearhad Diabloii.Net Member

'Blizzard is a business so to me its highly unlikely to see them retire the Diablo franchise, however we all know D3 wasn't really a huge success.'

Diablo 3 has sold 30 million+ copies worldwide. That is a success for ANY company.

s4nder likes this.
  5. Valeli

Valeli Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah. Don't confuse "great game" with "successful game".

D3, I would vigorously argue, was not great. But it was undoubtedly successful.

6. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

Sales, is all I can say. They will make a D4 at some point if for no other reason.

So many failed attempts to make this game something it isn't and even more to make it something it should be.

I miss the trading days. I miss the charms. I miss the runes. I miss my terrible attempts at PVP. But I also miss a real story line. There are so many ways they could have made the game great. The interface isn't horrible. The mobs aren't bad. The scenery is decent (not great).

Vanilla was bad but making everything so easy to get has made the game very boring IMO. I am sure others will dissent, but I would rather be excited by finding or crafting something ultra cool then to grind out stuff to gamble with.

Some will say I miss D2. That is not what I miss. I miss the essence of it. The auction houses were utter trash and given the advancements in gaming tech they surely could have kept items from being duped. I would have been happy to sub for the security needed and the people needed to make all of these things happening. And, I think I am not alone.

mrpinsky likes this.