Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Support Based Paladin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Mew, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Mew

Mew Banned

My Support Based Paladin

Okay so, let me epxlain myself first...

I have a friend who comes over about 4-5 times a week, and I bring my lap-top down, and he has his character saved on my other computer, and we play. He has a necromancer, and I have a few characters....But not only do I tihnk it owuld be fun, but also practical to make a REAL "support auradin". Basicly what I'm striving for is to build a character that will have enough auras to handle different types of monsters for different situations. He is pure summon, so that's a main reason I need good auras. So tell me if you think this would be pretty good...

20 Thorns : This is for letting myself actually have a chance at leveling, and to give his minions an aura when fighting tough, melee-based monsters.

20 Defiance : When you fight somthing uch as a type of skeletal mage, or beetle, or anything like that, thorns won't work, so you Might want to focus on defence, which with level 20, he would have a LOT of.

20 Salvation : I thought I would just get it to help when we do boss rushes or mini-boss searches, which we do quite a lot.

20 Conviction : I thought because he uses skeletons/mages so much, having this in places where you had monsters with stone skin could really come in handy.

1 Smite : Considering this guy is mainly support based (except for when I need to use thorns) being able to knock back a tough monster attacking me would be useful in sticky situations.

1 Charge : I need it to be able to get out of groups of monsters, because usually...If I die.........My freind will die.

20 Holy Bolt : I actually thought about this in terms of being able to heal him, and throwing the odd bolt out every now and then, but if it looked better to not get it, I'm going for 20 Redemption for the mana, which he really needs at times.

Now for my stats...

100 Base STR

100 Base DEX

300 Base VIT

That might seem awefully low at times, but I will never be attacking, and it is more important to be able to survive while I use thorns than to deal damage when I will never use it.

As for gear.....We play on single player, I only B-Net when I'm soloing. So I can't afford anything too snazzy, maybe some sigons, isenharts etc.

If I could get some help, that'd be great, thanks.

2. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

I would do the next:
    skills I would use:
    prayer 20 (you should max this to increase the amount of life holy bolt heals and also because it gives cleansing a higher life regeneration)
    cleansing 1 (you should use this as you main aura, because it doesent eat up all your mana like prayer but still heals, and also helps agains poison and curses)
    defiance 1
    vigor 1
    redemption 1 (just a 1 point wonder to fill your life and mana quickly)
    holy bolt 20 (your main skill with this you can heal your merc, that necro and his merc too, but also you can use it to kill undeads)
    blessed hammer 20 (synergy for holy bolt and you can also use it when necro needs some help)
    holy shield 20 (I like to have lots of defence and max block, especially if I dont have a high killing power)
    salvation 1 (when you run in a pack of gloams of smth like that)
    concentration 1 (to increase the hammer dmg)

I would use act 2 merc with defiance to increase everybody's defence and merc should use insight

now that nec should also use act 2 merc with might aura

Now about your stats..
    str: enough no use your items, not more
    dex: enough for 75% chance to block with maxed holy shield
    Vit: everything else

:shocked:
    *priit2

3. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

I call this a bad support paladin. :undecided:

20 thorns: Big deal, I can use an Edge (tir tal amn) runeword on an act 2 merc and save myself the points.

20 Salvation: Waste of points, 1 point into salvation hits 60++% resist all. 2 points will let u hit 75% resist easily. In fact for a supporting paladin, Salvation with a few minor +skills is more than enough.

20 Defiance: Completely go against the mindset of a Thorn's build. First skele mages cast spells, which are magic in nature and thus are going to hit you anyway regardless of defence. The only defense against such projectile spells is through Holy Shield which can block magical projectiles. Secondly if you are a thorn's build, having 20 to 30k odd defense means that it would take the monsters forever to kill themselves since they will miss too often and landed blows might get blocked. So its quite redundent. Its good defence against fast archers and slingers but those die so easily......

20 Conviction: Will have spell casters kissing and showering you with love. Bad news is that you lack an attack that can make use of that. Maybe 2x dream and resist lightning synergy ?? It isn't as powerful as pure auradin but hey that is still a strong near unresistable attack when combined with Conviction. And secondly, Conviction does not affect phyiscal resistance which is what stone skin is about.

1 pt smite: Still usable with CB gear.
    1 pt charge: U mention that if u die your friend will die.... then there must be something wrong with his skelemancer build.

20 Holy Bolt: Without prayer synergy, your healing bolt will not have the near full rejuv effect to be effective. Also holy bolt works badly with summon necros.

4. Mew

Mew Banned

right.........so your idea of a support paladin would be what? The idea of support is to have an aura idealfor every type of situation......that's the whole point..

5. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

The second post shows how to get four auras, while your paladin can still do some actual damage with Blessed Hammers. With those suggestions, you can use three auras at a time - Meditation, Cleansing, and Defiance (your merc), and your friends' necro can use a Thorns merc.

With your build, while you have a couple of auras maxed, can only use one aura at a time.

6. Mew

Mew Banned

uh......a few at a time? mind explaining that?

7. Epsilon Eyez

Epsilon Eyez IncGamers Member

Different auras can stack. So Meditation would be recovering your mana and health (due to Prayer synergy), Cleansing would be reducing curse times, poison lengths, and recovering health (again, Prayer synergy), Defiance would increase defense, and Thorns would offer the return damage.

You can have all those auras and still do some damage with Blessed Hammer, though it would probably be minor damage. You basically become a Cleric.

8. Mew

Mew Banned

wait....you are telling me that if I get those auras....they will all activate at the same time If I activate one...?

9. koeraokse

no, but cleansing heals like a prayer only prayer heals 2 times faster and by putting points into prayer you increase your cleansing healing rate too...

*priit2

10. kvark

kvark IncGamers Member

no. he uses weapons or items where is aura. :badteeth:
    edit: mew i am sorry to say this but try to get more info about diablo. You dont have a clue about "new things", so you are most likely noob or veteran.
    I started playing when diablo2 came to store, just about 3months ago started again, so much happened. Try to read things that chanced and you know alot more than now. and then you can make good support paladin :azn:

11. koeraokse

he is learning, couple months and he will know all basis about Diablo... I hope :rolleyes:

*priit2