Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My summoner build, some questions (merc)

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Keaka26, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

My summoner build, some questions (merc)

I have a level 28 Summoner druid now. So far I have 10 in raven, 10 in spirit wolves, I think like 9 in dire wolves, 2 in HOW, and of course one in Oak Sage. Also some plus skill gear. Im dying to get some points in grizzly for the damage synergy. My werewolf kills MUCH faster, and hes not that great.

Against some stronger monsters like the champions in the frozen river, my summons were having a tough time taking them down. I must have cast like 50 dire wolves (although I didnt take any hits myself and didnt use any pot because of leech).

My question is why dont people use the Act 2 Thorns merc with summoner builds? I hear people going for the might merc mostly for this build. I would think if your summons are going to be taking hits left and rite for you, youd want the damage reflected right back at them, wouldnt you? If I was rich, Id just get a might merc and put a bramble armor on him. But Im not. So I wont.

Also, I noticed a real lack of a decent low level bow. They all seem to suck. I have a goldstrike arch and a cliffkiller, but I cant use those until level 40 something. I got a stormstrike bow from a low level person for a pgem and upgraded it. I plan to use that when I hit level 30 (required level).

But even this bow, when upgraded isnt so hot, and Im a little unhappy with not having any resists because I cant use a shield. I looked on arreat summit and saw only 1 bow with resists, and thats the witchwild string. What do you guys think of that bow? Would anyone here on W/SC/L happen to have one laying around? They can have my goldstrike and/or my cliffkiller bow for it if they like. I just want something that will actually give me some resistances. The damage that my bow does to monsters is pitiful and killing can go really slow sometimes.

Thanks in advance,
    *Cornelius26

2. junglejim

junglejim IncGamers Member

I've just started working on my Summoner too and am only lvl 20, but it appears that our summon's lack of damage will always pose a problem but not necessarily one that can't be dealt with.

Somethings that might help:
    1) Make sure you use an Act 2 Offensive merc. When you are able to switch to the NM Act 2 Might merc, do so and keep him.

2) I haven't looked at how the dmg on the summons progresses when adding skill points to the various skills, but I bet that putting points directly in a given skill (e.g. Dire Wolves) increases their dmg faster than pumping HoW & Bear. So keep pumping your Dire Wolves if that's what you'll be using pump the synergies only after you've maxed your main skill.

3) With +skill equipment I have skill 12 Spirit, skill 4 Dire, & skill 3 HoW. 1 spirit wolf does the same dmg as 1 Dire wolf but I get 5 of them instead of 3. Ensure you're using your best offensive combo of criters (I'm still using the 5 Spirit Wolves).

4) Too late for you, but instead of putting points in Raven, I put them into Wearwolf (1), Lycanthropy (1), Feral (1), & Rabies (2-3). I use Feral & Rabies to supplement my damage on "Big Critters" (tm). Rabies also helps with crowd control. I do plan to pump Raven some later.

5) Look for a polearm/spear with the Amplify dmg on hit or other useful modifier for your merc. I don't know if it comes on rares. For example a Woestaff (comes with OW, Blind, & Freeze) might help.

Good luck

3. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

Haha, no, I wont be putting points into any tree but summoning. My pure build...I just wanted something different. As for why I have points in raven? Well, because ravens have that "hidden" synergy with the other summons in that column. For every point after 1 in ravens, the summons get +5 resist all. Meaning 6 points = 25% resist all.

My final build will look like this (no plus skills counted):

10 Raven
    10 Spirit Wolf
    20 Dire Wolf
    20 Grizzly
    20 HOW
    1 Oak Sage

Thats 81 points, so this build will be complete around level 70ish.

Right now, my spirit wolves do nearly the same damage as Dires (not enraged) so I use Dires just walking around and when I get to a tough monster who tends to have a lot of hitpoints, I switch to Spirit Wolves, to surround him and wear him down faster. And the ravens actually do help (at this point). Like I said, I kind of want to go down the road less traveled (otherwise this would be a wind druid) and use a thorns merc instead of the usual might merc. Anyone know what the damage returned % is on a thorns merc at say level 70?

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I think the dislike for Thorns steams from the doubling of monster HP in 1.10
    In 1.09 either a) Thorns wasn't Phsyical damage or B) the DR% reduced thorns deals more percentage wise then Thorns does in 1.10 with the monsters new HP

5. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

Hmm, I see. Well, I guess Ill just hafta try it to find out then.

Anyways, I took my summoner out against baal normal for the first time and....Wow.

He did really good against all the packs of minions except the last pack (lister). The summons (and my arrows) couldnt do enough damage to kill any of the minions because of their healing. So after trying for a little while, I exited and brought in my level 79 werewolf, killed all but the last 2 minions and came back with my level 30 summoner.

Entered baals area and same thing. Summons and I cannot dish out enough damage to bring down his life at all. His knockback attacks kept my summons out of range most of the time also. Plus like 2 of those attacks killed me if I got hit. Havent put many points in vitality just yet.

Also of note: I was able to beat the ancients on the first try...Took probably 5 or so minutes though. Im not sure whats up with all the whiners in the channels asking for help with ancients, they arent very difficult.

Anyways, I hope this summoner build picks up, because rite now, Im dissatisfied with the amount of damage Im able to dish out. Im sure as I start pumping points into dire wolves and grizzly, Ill be in much better shape.

6. FenRiR

FenRiR IncGamers Member

ok i have a little question , whats the point of useing raven exactly?

7. junglejim

junglejim IncGamers Member

Keaka,

Getting the bear at lvl 30 will help. Even the skill 3 bear I use with my wind druid lasts a long time in Hell, as in I almost never recast him because he died. At low lvls he doesn't do much dmg (not sure of the numbers but I recall a number like 500 or so) but if you pump the bear skill it should improve a lot.

It'd be nice to get a bow/xbow with the Prevent Monster Heal mod on it (I can't find any :scratch: ). If it was a crappy bow, then you could put it on your weapon switch.

Alternatively find a polearm/spear with that mod for you merc. Look at the mods on Woestaff, a lot of good things in one package :winner: . You'll have to lvl your merc up to lvl 28 though.

8. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

In 1.10 they have a chance of blinding the things they hit. I think around lvl 16 it's almost 100%

9. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

Its not just for the blindness...

10. whathappen

whathappen IncGamers Member

Right, I had a pure summoner in 1.09 and when the ravens attack they interrupt the current attack of the mob (it is not a stunt but you can see the interruption animation). Since the raven flies around after attack, the mob is not constantly interrupted. But if you have 5 ravens around what it means is that you are going to be hit a bit less.

11. Keaka26

Keaka26 IncGamers Member

I hope to eventually get a skyspirit to bump my ravens :thumbsup:

Also, I heard that + skills usually dont boost synergies, but in the case of the druid summoning tree, it does. This is true, correct? Ravenlore would be very useful in this case.