Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My strafeazon build

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by JasonBriggs, Mar 18, 2005.

1. JasonBriggs

JasonBriggs IncGamers Member

My strafeazon build

ok heres the build....

equipment

perfect wf (shael) - for a bit of insane dmg and shael for more ias
    lionheart armor - best armor for what i can afford and has good mods
    andies visage (um) - good all round helmet for zon and um for resi
    razortail belt - for a bit of pierce
    raven frost ring - cannot be frozen, cold absorb, + dex, + ar
    laying of hands gloves - massive dmg to demons, ias, fire resist to make up for andies face.
    rare dual leech ring - +13 dex, +73 mana, +3 resi, 6% ml, 5%ll (amazing)
    waterwalks boots (lots of + life)
    highlords wrath amu - deadly strike, ias, + skills
    5 passive and magiv skillers
    anni (max resists)
    2x 15 all resi gc
    6x all resi small charms

stats

str - enough to use my wf with equipment
    dex - 300 for some OK ar and damage
    vit - everything else here
    energy - none (with ml and + mana from ring i should be ok)

skills

obviously 20 in strafe
    17 in valk
    9 in pierce
    8 in crit strike
    1 in decoy
    12 in evade
    12 in dodge
    7 in avoid
    rest in prereqs and evade

merc

might merc
    reapers toll (eth, amn) for some mega ll and decrepify for immunes
    stone armor (eth archon) for good def and other mods
    andariels visage (um) for some good resists

Please give some input and tell me how i could improve this build

Thanks, Jason

2. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

3. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

well you have 100 ias and thats overkill

try swapping out the andys for mav's helm (30 ias) giving you 110 ias (you can still um the diadem if u want), then putting in a nosfertatus coil over razortail, pierce isnt too important to strafers

looks pretty nice though .. depending on where you play mostly, u may not need that much res (for example if you mf the pits, even negative resists are fine as long as you know how to use your tanks)

edit - a lot of strafers like to max penetrate since huge ar can be deadly, so consider that instead of putting more in evade, since your already at 50/50/50 i believe

4. JasonBriggs

JasonBriggs IncGamers Member

yeh i was thinking of swapping out the andies face but then i'd have next to no life leech.

and im going to be doing hell WSK,jungle,pit,travi runs so max resists is very important against them damn burning souls

ur right about razotail, with 7x% chance to pierce it'll be happening a lot

thanks for advice!

5. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Nosferatu + rare ll leech ring (or carrion wind) should be enough concerning your life leech problem when taking of andys!

WSK, jungle, pit, travs = NO PROBLEMO even with no max resist! The key is strong valk and strong merc! You are not a frontline character! Let your merc and valk fight in front of you! Keep the alive by giving merc potions (pref rejuvs) and a new valk when you need one! Travi can cause proplems caus of the amp damage and hydras casted by council (respawn valk and give potions to merc are a good solution). WSK is another problem. there some choices here. Take it easy, use thundergods/wisp ring to absorb lightning, or create a new game and hope that no Souls are spawned again. All are viable!

My strafer has very low resist but she can manage very well! Ok i use Faith+ Fortitude but before that i used WF+Duress/Lionheart and still had no problems! I played carefully when reaching WSK...

/Dec

6. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

I have a dissenting opinion here ;) . I would definitely keep the Razortail. I think piercing is one of the most imortant things there is for any strafer, actually any 'zon imho.

I also wouldn't max strafe. The damage bonus isn't that great. Looking at your skill layout. I would take 3 points off of the strafe and put them into your valk to max it. She's a crazy tank, but a stupid one. Some of the best bowie advice I've ever gotten was, "don't be afraid to recast your Valk, like, a lot." Put her right where you need her. Use her to protect yourself. Use her to line up your enemies. Then you'll see pierce really shine.

Especially with a strafer, I prefer speed over power, which means WF is not for me. Maybe if you had a Fana Rogue following you around :D. I prefer up'd WWS, or a Runeword in a Ward or Diamond bow (A compromise between speed and high damage.) Consider Harmony it will give you a nice mix of elemental and physical damage, not to mention all the other awesome mods on that bow. A lot people prefer the WF's power and this debate will rage on forever, I'm sure, but I've made about 4~5 straf-a-zons and my favorites are always the machine-guns. Since a bowie is my favorite character in D2, I know that asking her to change her Bow is like asking a person to change their religion, so you can take this paragraph how ever you want. (Add grains of salt to taste.)

Conerning your other gear:
    Lionheart: Rocks my sox. For the price it may be the best armor in the game. Might want to consider Duress as another cheapo-for-the-mods alternative. I know CB gets nerfed when it's ranged, but the other mods are extremely tasty.
    Andy's Visage: I use one on my strafer myself and have no complaints. Combined with LoH this helm is money. I just wish it was diadem and not an eyesore. The Mav's suggestion should seriously be considered if you do end up using that WF.
    Waterwalks: These are OK, but I would go with War Travs. You can get low ones for cheap and the main thing you're after is the added damage. It's really nice. Or you could consider Aldur's advance. They have low def, but you ARE an amazon: just don't get hit, and the other mods are suhweet on this boot. You'll also be really fast. Especailly if you combine these with that Harmony bow I was talking about you shouldn't ever get hit except by a gloam and def won't help you here anyway.
    Everything else looks good imo.

A 'zon is made of glass pretty much however you slice it. Don't get me wrong I always have about 100 vit so I can survive a hit or two. My dex usually ends up in the high 300's.

When I'm building a zon, only three things matter:
    1) My bow
    2) How fast I can shoot it
    3) My DEX (read: my enhanced damage bonus I get on the bow for being a badass shot.)

Overall though, whether you're considering Leech, Damage per second, crowd control, chance to cast, deadly strike, or just plain kill time, speed is king. I'd much rather have a glass uzi than a glass cannon.

7. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

....i try to max pierce on any of my strafe builds....either with razortail or just by pumping with points...don't get my wrong i prefer a nos coil to razortail anyday but i would make sure that i was able to have adequate pierce....also i would never swap a mavs for an andies unless i was really hurting for ias...i also try to get as many points into penetrate as i can....after all whats the sense of carrying around a bfg like the wf when you can't hit your target?

it looks like your resists won't be too much of a problem....you might want to consider travs or gores too

i do see a problem with your mercs equip.....the key to keeping any merc alive is damage reduction, ll, high damage weapon and high def.....

the reapers is a good choice because of the decrp....you will only get one socket so use an amn
    i would recommend a vamp gaze for dam reduction and nice ll...find an eth one or up a regular one
    unless you have an uber nice high def eth stone i think an upped shaftstop or leviathan would be a better choice because of the damage reduction

hell i have taken so much time typing the above i might as well calculate the ias you have....wf shaeled...40
    andies...20
    loh...20
    highlords 20

you can get another 25 by ias jewel in the andies and going with the nos coil

the brakes for the wf are 80ias to shoot 9/3 and 120 to shoot 9/2....i would recommend you try for 120 you will notice a difference...it will mean investing some more points in pierce and loosing some resists from the removal of the um

8. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Listen to superdave. Pierce is very important to a straffer. The whole point of strafe over multi is to line em up and pierce them with every arrow. I also agree that you are gonna need the life leech. Andarials vissage is perfect for this build. Fervor it and wear either upped goldwrap or nos coil ( I hate the negetive light radius though). Just pump pierce. should have no problem getting at least 80%. I think I have 84% with mine.

No matter what, you want 120% ias for 9/2 strafe. Huge difference between 9/3 and 9/2. Forget the mavinas because it's only good for ias. There are much better ways. You should end up with 125% ias with this set up. Down the road, swap the shael in the WF for a 15% ias / ed% jewel. Mine is 30% ed. I also wear fortitude so the extra damage is multiplies even more. Also, war travs will add some decent damage to this build. I like those much better than waterwalks.

Wmeredith likes razortail better. That's because he can hit 8/2 strafe with WWS without using a belt slot. I would also. Unfortunately with WF you are gonna need that slot for ias so you will have to settle for 85% pierce instead of 95%. With a low damage bow like WWS you need every bit of peirce you can get. With a WF, you do not. By the way, you don't have to choose speed over power. With this build, you get both :)

9. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Just a few suggestions... I agree with superdave and XZON that you should really get to the 2 frame strafe bp, so 120 IAS with WF.

Basically, I think Strafe has 1 "synergy" and 2 accessory skills. The "synegy" is penetrate - there is no +AR on strafe, indeed there is no +AR that works on ANY bow skill in 1.10. Therefore, to ensure you hit, you need some points in penetrate. The two accessory skills are pierce (though it is not necessary to get 100% with Razortail.) and critical strike. Having said this, you're at 59% CS and 77% pirce with + skills, not counting the skillers, which should be fine.

OK, so where to get all of the points for this? You are a ranged attacker, so I don't think you need any points in dodge, other than as a pre-req. 1 pt with the +4 from equip (I am not even counting the 5 PnM skillers) is 3/8ths chance to dodge, but you shouldn't be close enough for them to swing at you, anyhow. Missle attacks are more of a problem, but again with 1 pt and +4 skills, you habe a 45% chance to avoid while strafing. As long as your valk and merc are in front of you, it wont matter. And if the archers are hitting at you from the side, Slow missles and/or drop a decoy in their face to buy some time. Of course, if you play HC, forget everything I just said.

As a side note, I don't like to rely on the Merc casting decrepify as the only means of handling PI's. So I would go for an elemental damage skill. I usually choose Freezing Arrow, which at worst will slow them down enough for Decrep to trigger, though lately, for a mere 23 points and a few pgems, I have been using LF.

Good luck,
    DudSpud