Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Sorc is Dieing

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by jritschel, Sep 3, 2006.

1. jritschel

jritschel IncGamers Member

My Sorc is Dieing

Hey guys i have a level 46 sorc and it is extremely weak when getting hit. When i first entered Nightmare i had a sigon shield,l a sigon helmet, ang vipermagi. I thought it would be time to start trading for better items. So i got armor that did 700 defense + 75 to life, I got a lidless wall about 350 defense, and a helm that did about 250 defense. After all that my sorc didnt seem any stronger and keeps dieing. If you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

I'm new here, so I'm not an exert, but maybe you're underleveled? I'm assuming you're not in act 1 anymore?

3. jritschel

Yea, im in act 2 but, dont you find it strange that my guy isnt any stronger?

4. grimreaperofsouls

grimreaperofsouls IncGamers Member

hmmmmm check the resistances on your sorc
    also with a sorc you need a merc to tank while you stand back
    sorcs arnt designed to take much punishment ya know

5. jritschel

my resitances are all 9 except for cold being 75.

6. grimreaperofsouls

grimreaperofsouls IncGamers Member

theres your problem, most monsters in nm act2 are lightning monster take the beetles, so u need ur light res and poison boosted badly or u wont survive nm

7. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

sorcs can beat hell with neg resists if they're careful afaik. thats why they have that nifty skill called teleport.

8. jritschel

What do u think I should have my resitances at then? Or do u think i should hold off on resitances for now until act 3 due to not having lightning and poison guys?

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Have you gone max block or max vit, route? Are you using one of the cold armours? (The first one is ok, the third one is great against archers.)

It isn't all about the big numbers - 700 def etc. It's about resists, faster cast rate etc. What sort of sorcy, which skills do you have points in?

Don't forget playstyle; she isn't a hammerdin or barb, you have to play a bit more defensively. More info please.

10. Road Ratt

Road Ratt IncGamers Member

I'd put the vipermagi back on, it has +skills, all resists and fcr, very good stuff for sorcs.

Some other gear you can get cheap that will help:

Helm: Peasant Crown, Shako (low)
    Weapon: Spirit in Sword
    Shield: Spirit in Monarch
    Gloves: Frostburns (for mana), Magefists (for fcr)
    Boots: Silkweave's, Aldur's Advance (I use these boots to make up for the fire resists that spirit shield lacks)

Some cheap gear for merc:

Helm: Vamp Gaze, Crown of Thieve's, Tal Helm (these have life leech which mercs need, tal helm can't be used until 66th level though)
    Armor: Duriel's Shell, Smoke
    Weapon: Insight in Polearm

11. jritschel

I dont even know what max vit or max block is considering im sort of a noob. I have frostburns and a spirit sword. I decided to give the 700 armor to my mercanarie. My sorc is a cold sorc 22 points on forzend orb 22 points on cold mastery 10 on blizzard (with spirit, lidless, and vipermagi).

12. Thyiad

Max vit = max vitality. Enough dexterity for gear, enough strength for gear, no energy, everything else into vitality
    Max block = enough dexterity to maintain 75% blocking with a high base block shield (IE Sigons or better), enough strength for gear, no energy, remainder into life.

A (runeword) Spirit Shield would usually indicate max life because you won't get enough dex to get max block with it.

EG: My cold/fire sorcy level 93 has 207 dex, 215 vit with max block on an up'd Vicertaurant - IIRC the only shield with better blocking is Whitstans.
    My max life light sorcy level 80 has 39 dex, 258 vit with a Spirit Shield.
    Notice the life difference and the fact the light sorcy is 13 levels younger.

It looks like you are going pure cold - great, except you are going to need 63% or 105% faster cast rate to tele past immunes in Hell. Try some fast moving MP - you would be amazed what more experienced players will leave on the ground. This is stuff that they don't want, but would be heaven to you.

Have a read of a couple of guides in the stickies to familiarize yourself with the terms.

13. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Speaking from personal experience? :grin: :grin:

Although, from my memories of pubby b.net games, people would swarm all over any gold unique item, even if it read as toxic waste.

14. Thyiad

@ Frostburn :tongue: Everybody makes fun of me for it, but I can't help it; I just cannot leave gold/green/gems/runes on the ground.

But certainly when I MP on (closed) bnet there is certainly LOTS of stuff around. It' really worth carrying a full Tome of Identify and grabbing stuff. Not just gold but yellow and blue. Even some of the white stuff is worth looking at. Until I traded for AoKL, my necro was using a blue wand with +2 or +3 to summons.

My first sorcy trundled around for ages with a +3 blizzard staff normally with a +2 fireball staff on switch; both blue and I bet money no one would pick them up in MP. And what did I gamble from a game char? Blue 20% fcr helm.

Go go blues lol.

15. jritschel

Hey guys again. My guy is extremely good now i successfully beat Duriel in NM by myself without dying. I have another question though. I just maxed out on cold mastery and frozen orb and was wondering what to starting throwing my skill points into. I wanna do something other than cold due to immune enemies. Thanks

16. SamuraiChicken

SamuraiChicken IncGamers Member

I suggest trying a meteorb sorc. Although you have already put a lot of points into cold mastery, which isn't really nesessary, you can still obtain a powerful fire tree.

20 in fireball, 20 in meteor, 20 in fire mastery. You will have a 7000+ damage fireball, and 12000+ plus meteor when all synergies take effect. It's a lot of fun spamming fireball when you have a lot of faster cast rate.

17. Thyiad

Not when there's an awful of a lot of fire immunes in Hell.

I would max another synergy in cold so you have two trees capable of killing, not just one that is grossly overpowered. Then go for two synergies in fire or lightening. One point in the mastery of fire; with plus skills this should be around 12 or so.

You need a cold mastery of 17 (including plus skills from gear) so about 10-12 hard points is enough.

Edit:
    Synergies are important in v1.11
    That 5% per level or whatever value, adds up if you max a synergy. You will struggle to get good damage without it. That's why tri-elementalists are so hard. I have PM'd you two skills calculator sites that allow you to watch the damage change as you put skills into it. Play with it and you will see what I mean.

Check out the statistics forum for some in depth analysis of synergy bonuses. Or use the advanced search function. RTB and Orphan are both wizards at that sort of stuff.

18. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Site Pal

it *seems* like you've wasted 6 points in blizzard, which isnt really helping you at all...and since skill points are tight already it may be that you might want to remake your sorc to use your points more wisely

can you tell us how you have distributed your skill points excluding any boni from items?... as i am only guessing that you have put points in blizzard from the info you have told us, i may be completely wrong and you may have a sorc orb with plus to blizzard etc :p

19. jritschel

Yea im thinking about putting more points into blizzard to have 2 good cold spells considering im maxed on cold mastery and just letting my merc fight immunes or me melee fighting immunes. And yes i threw 6 points into blizzard while fighting baal because i couldnt level frozen orb more points and was struggling to beat him.

20. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

The 1.10 patch has turned diablo into a game where you cannot play around with skills very much. Generally, you base your char on one skill, then revolve around trying to make that skill as strong as possible. Then add things to compliment it.

There are couple of sorc varients specializing in 2 skills. In my opinion, the meteorb is the best of these.

Idealy, the sorc would turn out like this
    Max orb
    Max fb
    Max meteor
    Max Fire Mastery
    1 point cold mastery
    Rest on fire bolt.

But... it's possible to put less on fire bolt/fire mastery and more on cold mastery.