Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

my skellymancer(how do i make him not stink so much?) ifra

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by rickyson1, Apr 8, 2005.

1. rickyson1

rickyson1 Diabloii.Net Member

my skellymancer(how do i make him not stink so much?)

i have a level ** skellymancer my skills are:
    20 raise skelly,20 skelly mastery,1 clay golem,1 blood golem,1 iron golem,1 skelly mage,6 revive,1 golem mastery,4 summon resist,1 teeth,1 bone armour,1 bone wall,20 corpse explosion,4 amp damage,1 dim vision,1 confuse,1 attract,1 weaken,1 terror,1 decrep,3 unspent.

my stats are:115 str,140 dex,110 vit,150 energy,0 unspent.

my gear is:griswolds heart,tarnhelm,marrowwalks,trangs gloves,goldwrap,nokozans relic,cathans seal,really crappy rare ring(+5 to min damage,+ 50 to attact rating,+5 to str,+17 cold resist,+22 fire resist,and 35% more gold from monsters)

and i also have a level 41 might merc with: a blessed great helm with 55 def and no extra mods,rattlecage,and a rare halbard that does 19-74 damage and has poison resist+8 percent and +3 to mana after each kill.
    (but i have tals mask and a rare stygian pike that does 60-302 damage and has +174 attack rating,+117% damage to undead,+150 to attack rating against undead,+28-72 fire damage,4% mana leach,and 8% life leech for when he can use them)

it is also worth mentioning that i have been playing for less than a week(after coming back after quiting for over 2 years) and so am very poor as far as equipment goes.

so i guess my 2 questions are:

1: where is the fastest place to level my merc?
    2:how can i make my skellymancer better?

i would also welcome any other advice you wish to offer.

thanks in advance,rickyson1

2. slappy sam

slappy sam Diabloii.Net Member

1. Umm... nm cows I believe.
    2. Get yourself as much +skills or +summoning skills gear as possible. Tarnhelm is a start, none of your other gear is + skills though. I suggest getting a nice wand like an Arm of King Leoric. Also try to get a +2 or +3 summoning skills amulet, and maybe a vipermagi. PM me if your on useast NL.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

As you already guessed one thing you must do is level your Merc. Right now is Might aura is not as high as it should be for use in Hell. Your Merc won’t gain experience from kills made by party members. You’ll need to do the levelling by yourself. Make a few Norm Baal runs until your Merc is about level 50 and then do some cows. After that it is NM Baal runs.

You can also try to increase the amount of +skills on your gear such as slappy sam suggested. Gambling and crafting can be a big help with this. Also scrounge empty cow games and check all the Shrunken Heads that get left behind. Maybe one will have +skills.

What you can do to improve your Skelliemancer is alter your play style. Do you make sure that you can control crowds, or do you just spam Amp?

4. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

That's all good advice. There is a nice leveling guide in the strategy compendium--it works for mercs too, with the caveat that he will level much faster if he gets the kill.

+ Skills will help alot. You don't list your weapon, but there are several good options available for pgems, although most people consider arm of leoric to be the best. You also don't list your shield. Humonc is the choice here, but nice rares are also available, and short of that, you can make splendor in a necro head that has +something you need.

Good luck.

EDIT: Leveling guide is here: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=512

5. Boneposse

Boneposse Diabloii.Net Member

You have to level merc in nm for sure and in case you don't want to run in the cows you can go from lost city on in act 2 and flayer, etc in act 3. Walk act 4 and 5 a few times after he is level 50 or so and he will catch up soon enough. There are some fairly cheap runewords you can make for the mercs pole such as obediance(which I use on my lv 93 merc). I question why you have 150 pts in energy as you are not using bs or bspirit? You could use the vita or dex for block better. Maybe thats a misprint.

As far as making him better, you need gear. Nec's can play without uber gear more than most but if you want to solo in Hell you will need to decide on what you want to wear and plan on how to get it. I built my necro by mf'ing with my sorc and trading for what I needed. Most of the gear you will want is cheap enuff just by trading runes for them. Make a few charachters and get them to the forge and you will have runes to trade and maybe find some of what you want along the way. GL

6. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

If you are on Ladder US West look me up and i have these i could give away:
    +1 necro ammy
    nightsmoke belt
    gravenspine
    bonehew ogre axe

I too returned to the game a few weeks ago and made a really fun bone/summon mf necro :D Also u dun have any leech in your merc and that gets him killed more often than not? At lvl 41 you ought to lvl him in nm tombs or bloody foothills or nm baal runs. 10% leech could be had with a sigons armor+helm btw and tals mask is good enuff to be his final helm while duriel's shell and bonehew would be his final armor/weapon. Stick a amn/shael in that bonehew :D Mix in life tap to help your minions and DV those gloams/black souls/ranged attackers. Finally if you find a +rs/sm necro head consider the 'Splendour' runeword (eth-lum) and its decent for a summoner necro build :D Hope i helped.

7. bergbusen

bergbusen Diabloii.Net Member

I use on merc Andy helm +2 skill, Aricins Needle +3 skill, Eth Shaft upg. deg around 1900. Good to have + skilll on merc to rasie might lvl. i Lvl my merc in nm baal run. He gain 3-4 lv per run. I have now a lvl 85 Poison/Summon, 5.1 k poison damage, + 260 skellie damage +might +amp dmage. I think he is my best char. Can to baal run hell and play mf anywere. But bosses do take a while.

8. SeDnA

SeDnA Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know whether it's personal preferance.
    But i level my merc as follows:
    25-34 Normal Bloody Foothillls
    34-44 Normal WSK
    44-72 NM Foothills/WSK/Frigid/Frozen Tundra

He goes quite fast IMO.

9. Leonavice

Leonavice Diabloii.Net Member

From 44-around 50 I tend to just help people rush a bit, since this will help the merc level as well. At around 60, I tend to do cows or just go hell and do some mf pit runs. Note that this is when my character is already 76+ so that he can take hell, and I am playing skellimancer. Skellimancers have a really easier time to level a merc in dangerous areas since the merc is in much less danger of getting hit.

10. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm for pure summoners consider the uniq petrified wand Carin Shard. It has +life/mana per clvl just like shako and worn with shako at lvl 80ish that would mean a healthy 300+ life/mana! It has +1 all and +2summonning so +3 summoning and it doesn't pale too much to AOKL and in some ways the life/mana comes in really well at higher lvls :D Also with skellies+revivies in hell cow i could just CE all day with Skull Collector Rune staff with +20 mana per kill but i do have an Insight might merc but its a nice thought CEing hoardes of hell cows with lots of mf on my gear hehe

11. MightyTortoise

MightyTortoise Diabloii.Net Member

There's nothing wrong with your necro at all, although I disagree with putting 20 points in corpse explosion since usually monsters bundle together around your minions anyway so they're nearly always right on top of a corpse. But that's just me

It could be your play style, don't be afraid to use amp, decr, terror, attract, dim vision or bone wall if you need to support your skellies

All you need to do is get more +skills and boost your merc's level. He's your most important minion, so he should be a lot higher than 41. Once he's at your level it wouldn't matter what gear he's got since your skellies become turbo charged just by being near.

If your budget goes far enough, I suggest the rest of Trang's set and an Arm of King Leoric if you can get them. Otherwise, anything that boosts skills would be good.

12. rickyson1

rickyson1 Diabloii.Net Member

i made some improvements to my necro.

hes still level **.

but now i have for my gear:arm of king leoric,andys visage,magic ammy with +2 necro skills and 19 mf,magic ring with 31 life and 12 mf,rare ring with +5 min damage/+50 attack rating/+5 str/+17 cold/+22 fire resist/+35 gold find,rare necro head with +1 necro skills/30 percent faster block/20 percent increased blocking chance/2-7 poison damage over 3 seconds/all resists +20/attacker takes damage of 1,marrowwalks,griswolds heart with ort/ral/the rune that gives cold resist(forgot the name), and trangs gloves.

and my merc is now level 71 with duriels shell,a rare stygian pike with 60 to 302 damage/+174 attack rating/+117% damage to undead/+150 attack rating against undead/28-72 fire damage/7% mana leech/7% life leech,and a tals helm(he also has a bonehew with a amn and shael in it waiting till he has enough str for it)

edit:and i also have a +1 summoning grand charm that some idiot sold to akara(and the andys visage is socketed with a flawless topaz)

13. Pherdnut

Pherdnut Diabloii.Net Member

Nice work. That AoKL alone is a massive improvement. I actually like that you went with 20 points in corpse explosion. I'll bet that's fun. And it probably attracts more monsters from offscreen for more corpse explodily goodness. If you're looking for more gear advice, I recommend the following:

Armor: Skullder's for MF and +1, Trang's for +2 summoning and great lightning resists with 2 other pieces, Vipermagi for resists and +1

Gloves: Chance Guards for MF, The Trang's gloves are the other ideal IMO.

Shield: Homonculus (awesome resist bonus, +2 all necro, +2 curses, great block rate to match your high dex.

All of the above can be had for PGems. The remaining cost considerably more.

Boots: Marrow Walks for bonus to skellies and put 1 point in bone armor to get an additional 505+plus skils X's 10 in Health against physical attacks.

Rune Word Armor: Watching Enigma equipped skellimancers in action is awesome. They can always put their entire army exactly where they want it.

Rune Word Weapons: Beast for fanaticism (use your arm of king leoric for prebuffing only), Pride for a Conviction Aura on your Might Merc (your skeletons will cut through the opposition like a hot knife through evaporated butter with just two of these auras).