Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Skellimancer Guide

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by malathion, Mar 14, 2004.

1. malathion

malathion IncGamers Member

My Skellimancer Guide

I've seen a lot of questions on this forum about how to do a Skellimancer and I find that either those questions go unanswered, or a lot of the answers contradict what I've learned from my friends and through experience. I don't mean any disrespect to the authors of the guides already stickied here, as I think they're very comprehensive and should be effective for anyone who follows them; most of what I'm going to say is already said in those guides, since they're absolutely right. But I think they lack some perspective I'd like to bring to the table here.

I'm going to write up a quick guide to a Skellimancer (or as I like to call it, Lagromancer) based on my lvl 89 west scl Skellimancer. Questions or comments are welcome.

First, a disclaimer. Making an effective skellimancer is a very expensive proposition. +skill equipment is the bread and butter of the summoner and you'll be looking to get a lot of it if you want to be effective, so if you aren't either putting money down on ebay for good stuff, or able to find and trade for it yourself, you'd probably be better off with another build. Also, Skellimancers aren't very good MFing classes, and since they're expensive, my guess is that you'll be MFing with other builds so that you can equip your Skellimancer, who will be the one that owns in Hell. :thumbsup:

That said, I believe a well equipped skellimancer can solo in Hell faster than any other class in 1.10, and doesn't do too badly in pvp either. I have a lot of fun with my Skellimancer, and I hope you will, too.

If you follow this build, you'll have 28 skeletons with 1000 base life and 18 revies with +395% life and +390% base damage in Hell. Your skeletons will be dealing at least 1500 adjusted damage per hit, each, not to mention your mercenary. Not only do you have the potential to deal enormous amounts of damage, but your army can engage multiple targets, often wiping out everything on the screen simultaneously if necessary- you will not have problems sorceresses will with large numbers of fire/cold immune enemies since crowds will just fall to thorns and corpse explosion. Your corpse explosion range will also be 14 yards before level 90 (a circle about the size of the screen).

This is possibly the most powerful PvM combination out there and with practice you will be able to wipe out Hell ridiculously fast.

Alright, on to the meat of it.

Skills
    I suggest you max skeleton mastery, skeletons, and mages. One point in almost everything else. You'll be getting enough +skills from your equipment that you'll be wasting points to max other stuff in the summoning tree. Get one point in revive, and all it's prerequisites, but don't put more than 3 points into golems. You'll be getting 15+ revives just with your gear from the single point you invest in it. One point in and golem mastery so you can get one point in summon resist, which will be more than enough to keep your skels alive in 95% of situations. Only a conviction aura boss will give you problems so it's no good to waste more points in summon resist.

One point in teeth and all your spare points go to corpse explosion. Don't get bone spear because it deals crap damage unless you max the synergy, which you won't have enough points to do. One point in bone armor for the Marrowwalk bug. Don't get bone wall or bone prison, because even though they can be very useful, they break the marrowwalk bug and you need that bone armor to keep you alive.

You need lower resist, so one point in every curse on the right. You'll rarely be casting any curses other than Amp Damage (which you'll be casting 95% of the time), and Lower Resist against magic resist enemies, or if you have a sorc with you.

I very strongly recommend one point in dim vision. Skellimancer's can handle 98% of everything in Hell with zero damage to them, but Souls and Gloams are your arch-enemy. Since you're going to be stocking +skill gear, you'll probably not have very good resists and souls will kill you very fast. You don't need more than one point in dim vision though, since you'll be getting +18 to curses.

Confuse and attract are pretty useless and I suggest not getting them.

Equipment
    Hat: Harlequin Crest with pdiamond, pamethyst, or um. You need the +skills and the +life/+mana will help a lot in later levels. There is no better hat for this necro.

Amulet: Good Mara's Kaleidoscope. A +3 summoning amulet can be great and will be your cheaper substitute until you get a maras. However, your resists will probably be really bad in Hell, and Mara's will keep you alive, especially versus souls/gloams.

Weapon: Heart of the Oak. +3 to all is hard to beat and the resists on hoto are awesome. Plus, Oak Sage (while hard to keep alive) can help you against that conviction aura/lightning enchanted/stone skin boss that wipes out all your skels. Call To Arms is nice but you lose skels when you switch to it and you usually won't need the BO anyway. If you can't get a hoto, use Arm of King Leoric, but try to work up to hoto.

Armor: Enigma. It is VITAL that you get this armor, for one simple, hard to overlook reason: +1 Teleport. Teleport will give you an enormous amount of control over your minions that you won't be able to get any other way. Once you get good with teleporting you'll be very, very fast in Hell. Use the best armor you can get until you get up to Enigma, but Enigma is definitely the most important piece of equipment listed here.

Shield: There's a lot of debate about whether Homunculus or Boneflame is better here. I say Boneflame with pdiamond or um in it. The reason to use Homunculus is the better resists, but you can max your resists with charms and Boneflame's extra +1 to skills makes it preferable. Homunculus definitely isn't bad though, and it can be a matter of preference, depending on how bad your resists are in Hell.

Gloves: You don't have a lot of good options here. Most people (Including myself) use Trang Claws for lack of a better option. I've seen Frostburn suggested but I don't need the extra mana since all I do is cast skells and amp damage anyway so the cast rate and +2 curses from claws seems to do the most good, but you might put on some decent mf gloves if you want.

Belt: Arachnid mesh. +1 skills ends the debate here. String of Ears is a cheap substitute until you can get to Arachnid.

Rings: BK rings or SOJ, obviously. I use BK rings because I don't need the mana and SOJ is so expensive on ladder, but SOJ is probably better. If you don't have +skill rings, get them, but use something that is +resistall or +cast rate until you can.

Shoes: Marrowwalk, for Marrowalk bug. One point in bone armor and it blocks 675 damage. Maybe something else will be better if that bug is patched, but for now, Marrowwalk it is.

Merc: This is the most overlooked aspect of making an effective Necromancer. It is vital that you get this merc: Act 2 NM Offensive. This will give all your skels a Might aura that cuts your travelling time in half. Equip him with Bramble armor if you can and your army will now have might AND thorns aura, making it ridiculously powerful. For a weapon, your ideal is probably Doom, but a Bonehew with Amn runes works fine if you don't want to put something that expensive on your merc. Tal Rasha's hat works pretty well on a merc too for life leech.

I can't stress enough how powerful my Act 2 Nm Offensive merc makes my army and how crippled I am when he dies. Do the math: I have 28 skeletons and 18 revives in Hell. When he's dead, I lose that double damage, which is actually 4x damage since it is might vs amped enemies, and I lose an enormous amount of thorns damage. Although you can survive without him, your merc will literally make you or break you; if you don't have one, it's probably more cost effective to go with a different build.

Stats
    This part is pretty simple. You want to shoot for about 1,000 mana or less (probably less), and enough strength to wear your gear. You don't need any dexterity, and you only need enough life to stay alive when you happen to get hit (which shouldn't be often). Marrowwalk requires around 115 strength and Enigma's strength requirement is variable, but Enigma gives a lot of +str so if you can get an easy one to wear, it will help you a lot since you can put those points into something else. Otherwise, shoot for enough strength to wear your Marrowwalk, and then use the +str from that to put on Enigma.

That's all I have for now. If there are are any comments or questions, or I've made any egregious mathematical errors, or you just want a fast Hell rush (for forge and drops :D) on West SCL, please feel free to respond or whisper *malathion. Thanks for reading! :wave:

2. OldSkoolGamer

OldSkoolGamer IncGamers Member

Perfect Diamond level 18

Weapons:
    +68% Damage vs. Undead

Shields:
    All Resistances +19%

Helmets and Body Armor:
    +100 to attack Rating

Since you mention "all I do is cast skells and amp damage anyway" why would you need AR?

3. malathion

That will teach me to post at 4 AM. Thanks. That should read "Harlequin Crest with Ptopaz or Um." For some reason I can't edit the original post.

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Thanks for posting your ideas and opinions. I found them very interesting and entertaining although I don't agree with them all :cyclops: . This is not really a guide although you call it "my guide" instead as it does not cater for the wide range of builds that skellimancers can be. It is more a description of what a high-end skellimancer looks like in terms of equipment and skill placement and what he can do, and the forum needed that, so well done there.

You say your Necro is not a good magic finder and yet wear unique Shako and Enigma both of which are useful contributors to mf. I guess with some moderate re-arrangement of gear and charms you could double your mf and only lose 10% of your killing speed. To some extent magic finding depends how you do it (i.e. number of players) and how they work with you ( freinds you trust or public games) and where you do it ... Cows, Pit, WSK and so on.

You obviously have a powerful killing machine here and I wonder how well you do in an 8 player game using your skellies and CE. The monsters have 450% hit points yet CE and your skellies are still dishing out the same damage as a 1 player game. Do you use Paladins and Druids auras to further boosts your killing power?

A Might merc does not simply double the damage your skellies and revives dish out. It adds the bonus % ED with that from SM to the basic damage skeletons do. The exact calculations are complex but in round terms a good might merc adds 50% extra damage to your skellies and revives.

And Amplify damage does not simply double the physical damage your army and CE do in Hell although in Nightmare and Normal this is basically true. Many monsters have physical resistance in Hell and AD gives -100% physical resistance. So taking a simple example of Hell Bovines in Hell difficulty, they have an inherent 50% physical resistance so using AD will lower that to -50% and hence TRIPLE the physical damage you do.

So taking the two together your Might Merc and AD don't give you 4 times damage but a whopping 4.5 times damage ... don't undersell your guys :wink2:

You mention that Attract is not a good curse for a skellimancer and that is simply not true. Then you mention that the only time you get your skellies wiped is against a Conviction Aura / LE unique (and presumeably his minions)... that is exactly where I'd use Attract to take the heat off my skellies until I get the first 2 corpses and then Kaa-bbbooomm.

Anyway a very worthwhile post. :)

5. zzLen_Mastazz

zzLen_Mastazz Banned

How can you say its not a good mf class? I myself can clear pindle/shenk/eldritch/baal/meph/counsil/andy/ and pit in less than 15 minutes while sporting 540 mf.

True enough.

While I totally agree that the merc is very overlooked and you give an excellent suggestion on which merc. I have to disagree about the optimum weapon for the merc. I have mine outfitted with a ethereal BOTD Warpike and I switched him with a Doom ethereal War Pike. When I did I noticed he had a tendency to freeze and thus destroy the corpses of his victims. Therefore it adversly affected my corpse explosion as well as my summoning needs. Just an observation.

**Key note** I know that everyone can't afford a doom or botd for obvious reason so a Bonehew is an excellent alternative, as is a spire of honor. (ethereals if possible)

Enigma rocks.

Strength = enough for most strength req. equip.
    Dex = base
    Vita = Everything else (What else would you put it in? Simple, you run out of this and you die.)
    Energy = Like 50 should be enough if you would rather use nagels for mf, other than that base will do with soj's.

Other than that guide is sound. And have you tried max skeleton mage in hell yet since 1.10? Are they hell viable?

6. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

There is some good info in that guide. However, some variations in possible builds would be cool. I.E. Mf runner, pure PvM etc.

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

This I don't get. Why should an effective Skellimancer be expensive? Even starting without equipment I can get one to Kill Baal on Hell. If beating the game is not effective then what is?

BTW, point me towards questions unanswered and I shall correct this mistake. Normally I make sure all questions, except PvP ones get answered.

8. malathion

Yes, I probably should have mentioned that it would not require an unacceptable loss of killing power to make this Necro a great mfer; since he can kill so fast, even a sub-400% mf (which so many Sorcs these days seem to have) could be superior since he can wipe out everything without any trouble. I guess I'm just something of a megalomaniac.

The only 8 player games I usually play are Baal runs and I can't remember losing a skel in one except to Souls and conviction-aura bosses (that theme again). When I do solo in an 8 player game, I don't have much of a problem- I just end up depending on Revives a lot more than skels.

This is a very good point. It's also worth noting the impact that the extra resistall in Hell has on the effects of Corpse Explosion. The Amp+CE combo is really overpowered in normal-nm but in Hell it only gives you an edge over the monsters.

I'm not sure what you mean. Usually when my skels die to a conviction/LE boss its not the boss dealing damage that kills them (almost nothing in Hell deals enough damage to really hurt a skel army) but I think it's because of the lightning damage versus resists. How would casting attract help me, besides causing the boss to die faster?

You're right, BOTD is great also. I kinda skimmed over that point since no matter what you put on your merc, the damage he deals with the weapon will never compare to the damage he deals with his auras.

Skel mages die very fast if anything actually hits them. Fortunately, that almost never happens. Most of the time I lose a skel mage it's because I resurrected one inside a big crowd of venom lords. Skel mage range is good enough that the warriors are almost always out front so having mages just means I get some extra damage on top of warrior damage + thorns.

So yes, I very much recommend maxing skel mage because there's nothing better to max and you get a lot of extra damage for them - not to mention other targets for the monsters to hit besides you.

I think that a Skellimancer with mediocre gear won't be as fast as other builds. Maybe I'm wrong on that point, but I don't want to debate it too much since I think the reader will decide what is best for him either way.

Thanks for all the good points - keep it coming :)

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

I've seen a lot of questions on this forum about how to do a Skellimancer and I find that either those questions go unanswered, or a lot of the answers contradict what I've learned from my friends and through experience.

I don't recall there being an unanswered question for all the "where do I put my points next" or "Help with my Skellimancer" threads that seem to pop up faster than those darn bots on battle net.

Basically, you guide is roughly the the same skills as a Fishymancer(only you people to use more runewords instead of Trang's) or even Kbob's build(but with max CE...AND nothing in PD)

Though it was a good read, and can see that you did put thought and effort into it. Still a good guide :thumbsup:

"Needs to lie, cheat, and steal for a HoTo"

:drink: :buddies:

HoSv1

10. otiz

otiz IncGamers Member

So.. how much +skills do you have excactly.. 28 skellies amazes me :scratch:

11. malathion

Yeah.. sorry to all who took offense at that remark. I should have put more emphasis on the number of answers that I thought disagreed with what I have learned. Maybe I was feeling a little caught up in my own self importance at the time. :)

+17 to summons, +16 to poison and bone, +18 to curses. Plus the extra +2 to skel mastery from marrowwalk. That gives 14 warriors and 14 mages.

12. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Happens to the best of us.

:drink: :buddies:

HoSv1

13. Dausuul

Dausuul IncGamers Member

Good guide in general, but you put far too much emphasis on having top-notch gear. The Skelemancer is one of the cheapest classes out there in terms of equipment. Making an absolute top-end Skelemancer is expensive, of course, but the same is true for any class. If you don't demand the ability to clear the Throne of Destruction in record time in 8-player Hell, you can make an effective Skelemancer with nothing but the stuff he himself finds on his way through the game. (By "effective," I mean that he can solo Hell and run the major bosses in 1-player mode without any serious difficulty.)

If you're starting your B.net account from scratch, a Skelemancer is IMO the best way to begin. He can find himself enough gear to survive and kill in Hell, and then he can run the bosses to get good items for your next characters.

Also note that Enigma is not the only way to get teleport for your necro. All you need is a staff with teleport charges on your weapon switch, which you can get at the vendors. You have to pay a bit to keep it charged, but it's chump change compared to the money you'll bring in from found items, and it's much, much easier to come by than Enigma.

14. malathion

It's definitely possible to go this way, but I think my opinion is just that the Skellimancers killing power is disproportionally (compared to other classes) amplified by +skill gear so it's more important to put your valuable stuff on him. You can be effective with rags but I think you might end up being faster with a cold sorc than a skellimancer if you aren't rich.

15. otiz

otiz IncGamers Member

I have to disagree with that I have made several skelemancers now who have all failed after nightmare and most of them had stuff which i found from nightmare mephisto. Maybe I just suck but I think skelemancer sucks without appropriate (expensive) gear.

P.S. I didn't use might aura because didn't know which merc had what and I still don't know now except that act 2 nm is might (from this post :thumbsup: ). By the way, what are other useful auras to make note of not only for skelemancer but in general?

16. Dausuul

Dausuul IncGamers Member

You don't need super-expensive gear. I can run Baal just fine with only +6 summons and mediocre resists, unless I run into Black Souls (and even then I can do it, though it takes forever).

I suspect lack of a Might merc has been a large part of your problem. My skeletons have a very hard time if my merc isn't there. The difference is unbelievable. Also note that your skeletons' level is tied to your own, and the chance to hit a monster is affected by your level relative to the target's, so your skeletons won't accomplish much against monsters that are significantly higher-level than you.

Act 2 merc auras are:

Prayer (Normal/Hell "Combat")
    Defiance (Normal/Hell "Defensive")
    Blessed Aim (Normal/Hell "Offensive")
    Thorns (Nightmare "Combat")
    Holy Freeze (Nightmare "Defensive")
    Might (Nightmare "Offensive")

I believe Holy Freeze and Might are the most popular choices. Might is favoured by warriors and summoners to boost their attack damage; Holy Freeze is preferred by spellcasters to help keep the monsters at a distance. Defiance also sees some use among warriors looking for massive defence. AFAIK, nobody does much with Prayer, Blessed Aim, or Thorns.

17. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

It is clear to me that malathion knows what he's talking about, but I must concur with those who object to the statements that 1. the skellimancer is not a good MFer and 2. a skellimancer requires a large number of +skills.

Contra 1. The skellimancer has the advantage of "buffing", or using +skills gear to summon, then switch to full MF gear. I summon my skellis at lvl 35 then switch to MF items. With the loss of +skills, that lowers me to 20 skellis +revives, if I choose to summon them. With a reduced army, I still find little difficulty in the monsters I figh, and if I need new summons, then I just weapon switch to the +skills gear. With this arrangment, I have managed to find my best items while using my Summoner. There is actually a somewhat lively debate over how poorly you can equip a Summoner and have him still be an effective MFer here: http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=150712

Contra 2. When I got to Hell, my +skills was a whopping +6 altogether, one from Telling of Beads, one from Lore, one from Viper, and 2 from Gravenspine. I'd played this guy relatively untwinked, since he was my second ladder character. I never needed any assistance through any parts of the game but often partied to get the extra experience. He wasn't a "killing machine", but he was always the only character who didn't die against large hordes. At one point during a 5 or 6 person game and in act II of all places, he ran out of TPs while trying to get people to their corpses. I was stuck doing the Ammy quest by myself until I killed something that dropped TP (before a TP dropped, a Shael dropped. That's when I made a Rhyme for him. Yes, I was that poor :) ).

The summoner is actually one of the most resilient builds, while also being one of the cheapest. There is no monster or pack of monsters (except for Normal Diablo) that really can take down summons if you use a little creativity, and the source of that creativity is in the Curses. Black Souls can be tamed with Dim Vision, a skill you duly stress, but they can be even more diverted if you cast Attract at the one farthest from you. That way, once their vision is restored, the Black Souls shoot lightening backwards, thus preventing the Attract-backfire caused by 100% piercing attack Black Souls have and giving your army time to kill them. Confuse isn't as useful, although I use it when melee monsters surround me.

Before, someone mentioned using Attract to thwart Conviction/LED bosses, and I concur with this point. By using Attract against a Minion, you draw all fire away from your skellis, leaving only the actual charged bolts to hurt them. This might only kill two or three skellis (max) in time for the first corpse to drop. Bang. If you've Amped the pack, you'll likely drop the all but the boss, who will drop seconds later in spite of his deadly combo. I must confess, however, that these bosses are rare draws for me, so perhaps I've been lucky. But the fact that they're rare also demonstrates how Summoners have very few real threats, even in Hell.

Finally, we had a discussion a while back about discussing builds only in terms of top shelf gear. A build/guide isn't complete until you can show a scale of items from poorest to richest. At some points, you do, by saying getting a Bonehew when you can't get a Doom Runeword, which is like telling someone to take the Concord if they don't have a personal jet. For someone who can barely afford Southwest, the comment is at least unhelpful and usually condescending. A majority of your Summoners aren't going to have all the gear you suggest. Give them a few steps before they put on their first Enigma(a good feeling).

Contra 3. The worst of the three. Nothing beats the original. Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A [Select for 2 players] Start

Some good tips, though, and worth a read or two. Perhaps you could discuss the shades of Summoners, as someone else mentioned, since the items you suggest are based on the shaky premise that you need as many +skills as you can. Just a thought. Great job! :drink:

18. malathion

I said it once, I'll say it again:

Also, I don't think I can do much good by telling a person what gear they should wear if they aren't rich. If they're not rich, then they should wear what they can get, you know? But if you have a lot of wealth and don't know what you should be trading for, I think I have a pretty good model for which you can shoot. And most importantly, I don't believe there is a class system in Diablo 2. You can work and trade your way up to anything. Heck, I did it.

Sorry if I seem snippish, but I don't think I'm totally wrong about the gear point and I think I've answered it more than once in this thread only to have the same point brought up again... :cool:

19. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

not bad, but there is some completely wrong info here. Please don't take these comments as flames but there are a few things that may have been grossly overlooked:

1. Skellimancers (or whatever the hell you call it) can be one of the best magic finding characters in diablo patch 1.10 with or without enigma.

I started 1.10 like 6 months ago, and he was my first character. Built like crap, and fine tuned over time. His "end game" gear was nothing more then:
    topaz armor / helm
    gull
    rhyme
    tancred amulet / boots
    tal belt
    2x crap nagels
    crap chancies

After running the pits for like 2 months, I am about as "rich" as they come. Thanks to crap gear.

2. Might I direct you, and any other inquisitive readers HERE, as there are many options to different builds, and some great resources of information.

3. Try thowing out options on gear that won't break the bank. Can you tell me a single build out there that won't [email protected] hell anything with the gear you mentioned? I mean, a2 might merc with bramble / doom is godly solo. Add on you with enigma / shako / bk rings / mara's / boneflame...

4. Marrowalk bug: Points into bonewall does not negate mw bug. It's bone prison (which you also mentioned). But the thing your missing is that you get more life per skill point placed into Bone Wall versus Bone Armor.With +16 to p/b as you claim, a slvl1 CE would be fine, and you can then put the rest of your points into bone wall for an added defensive skill, and a booster to your bone armor.

You're about as wrong as it gets.

Those questions go unanswered because it gets old, frustrating, and down right ridiculous how lazy most people are in regards to reading a post that is stickied at the top and filled with more info then you and I know. Contradictions come from uninformed posters looking to boost their post count, make a name for themselves quickly, or act like they know something.

7. Back to #1 again on the mf'ing, but with mf on enigma, and shako, why not mf? You further this fuel this fire with your suggestion to add a p.topaz to your helmet, but still suggest that this is not a good mf'ing build. :scratch:

8. Stats?? WTF 1000 mana?!?! Your wearing no mana boosting items (other then shako) and you want 1000 mana?!?!??! No blocking (boneflame sucks for block), low strength req (depending on armor choice for enigma), you could end up with one heavy vita build (which is a good thing). FCR really isn't needed (trangs gloves) and you could have a great mana booster (frosties) though you say you don't need the extra mana. If you didn't pump your energy too high, then frosties is the way to go. Another negative aspect of 1k mana + low life is the blood mana curse in a5 wsk. CE / CURSES will chew through your low life orb quick. I'd rather drink a blue pot then die often.

9. STRING OF EARS AS BACK UP TO ARACHNID MESH!??!? Christ, i've seen it all now. Have you heard of a couple cute little items called:
    1. Verdungo's? (VIT / DR)
    2. Glooms Trap? (VIT / MANA % / MANA REGEN)

10. NO MENTION OF DECREPIFY? Wow, so bosses do what to you?

[/end rant]

So all in all, I'd like to say good "guide". Maybe thinking it through some more before posting would further your cause, but...

Your guide could have been summed up like this:

1. GET ALL UB3R L33T [email protected]
    2. MAX ALL SUMMON SKILLZ
    3. GET AMP DAMAGE
    4. TELEPORT AND KILL AND TELEPORT SOME MORE...

Now feel free to get all
    if you want to, but you can't argue that any of my points are wrong.

peace, love, and better gaming.

g

20. malathion

Almost everything you've said is either completely unproductive or a repeat of what was already said in the thread - it is painfully obvious that you are too lazy to read the responses to see if any of your points have already been addressed. This is the only one worth responding to so I'll take it from there.

My Skellimancer has around 880 adjusted life and around 950 adjusted mana. I never die. Read that again. Never. I can wear all my gear and I never die. Tell me again why I should put more points into other stats? Basically I see getting that mana as a convenience issue. If you can't control your summons and you don't pay attention to your surroundings, you'll get hit more often and need more hp. I don't, and I don't think you should either.

Personally I don't like to chug mana pots constantly so I recommend what I think is a viable and balanced option that has worked for me. I can summon almost a complete army on one mana orb and then drink a single mana potion to replenish that, and I'm good to go. If you want to do it some other way, more power to you.