Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Sin and Merc easily die in Hell ...help

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by HiMyNameIs, Jul 9, 2008.

1. HiMyNameIs

HiMyNameIs IncGamers Member

My Sin and Merc easily die in Hell ...help

Hey guys,

I need more help with my Sin again, but this time pertaining to the survivability of my sin and merc. Basically, unless i micro my sin like no other, she can easily die. Furthermore, I no longer carry a merc by my side, because my act 2 defensive merc from norm still dies in like 2 hits, and it would cost another vast amounts of gold to resurrect him. So I'm in another tangle again, and of course, I've come to this forum to assist me once again.

Any suggestions? Basically this is my 2nd week playing this game, and I only have budget equipment. My merc has only 1400 defense with the best equipment I can give him. My sin, has a similar problem ... how do you guys alleviate this problem, especially in hell. Thx!

2. Nyii

Nyii IncGamers Member

Re: My Sin and Merc easily die in Hell ...help

What level and skills are you using for now?

3. Agnememnon

Agnememnon IncGamers Member

Pretty much with any character I stay in nightmare for a bit and try to hit around 75 in level before going to hell. This usually gives you some time to get some better gear and level you and your merc. For hell you really need to start looking at +resist gear imo since your resist goes way down. Major things are hell is a major gear check, resist check.

4. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

3 words. Cloak of Shadows. Oh... and Mind Blast. With a Shadow, sins have the best ability to crowd control in the game using just those two skills.

Laz

5. HiMyNameIs

I'm lvl 75 now. I've done all of the above. I can micro pretty well w/CoS, but the simple fact is that my merc cannot tank at all. It simply dies in very few hits.

Could it be because I constantly play in Baal runs in 8 player games? I never use my merc anymore because its useless.

Also for note: my armor is average and so is my merc's.

6. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

It's pretty hard to say anything without knowing your merc's setup.

7. HiMyNameIs

My merc has no uniques. Its just an ancient armor that supplies 425 defense, and a circlet with 46 defense that supplies ... nothing. Basically, I just learned that you can give your Merc equipment.

Also, I have heard through the grapevine that the weapons infinity or insight are great for mercs. Should a merc always carry a two handed weapon? ... cuz I noticed that my Act 2, combat merc from norm - directed to obtain this specific merc from a fellow online player - cannot carry shields.

How can I obtain this infinity or insight ...

Thx for all the help.

8. HiMyNameIs

Also, if i cannot obtain insight or infinity, what weapons should I equip my Merc

9. CarloC

CarloC IncGamers Member

"Basically, I just learned that you can give your Merc equipment."
    Now I can't help but wonder what else you've done that's causing your problems. lol

10. HiMyNameIs

hahaha, true.

11. Burn-X

Burn-X IncGamers Member

Reaper Troll is highly recommended if you can get your hands on one, but if you can't then anything that deals high damage and have life leech.

Other alternatives will be The Meat Scraper and Hone Sundan.

Improve the helm and the armor on your merc as well :p

12. Czechmate

Czechmate IncGamers Member

infinity is pretty nice but not required. My trapper's merc uses obidence in an eth thresher and a glitches durass ornate plate with 3k def. These are pretty easy tomake and effective.

13. HiMyNameIs

Thanks for the replies!

I've been doin MF runs to try to obtain any useful weapons ...is there a place known by you knowledgeable players that gets the best drops? Right now I've been doin Baal Runs.

Also ... I've noticed that despite my lvl 80 lightning trap assassin, with 25 points in Lightning sentry, 25 points in Death Sentry, 13 points in charged bolt sentry, 9 points in shock web, I am still having a lot of trouble killing ACT 5 Hell groups. What gives ... I thought the purpose of this build was to be good at killing mobs ...and implicitly do MF runs.

FYI: I have been using corpse explosion as well as LS, but in plus 4 people games, killing mobs remains an assiduous and interminable process....

14. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Mixing in Cloak of Shadows, a Shadow Master and Mind Blast? Those three are amazing for mob control.

Also, did you mean that LS and DS are at lvl 25? or that you maxed? Regardless, it seems that your damage may be a bit low if you're killing too slowly and + skill gear works wonders for traps.

15. HiMyNameIs

lvl 25 is what I meant. I have plus 5 skills in all.

Yup, I use MB, CoS, and the other one point wonders. They are much needed given an assassin's low defense and life, and I like toying around w/the mobs.

I think I'm gonna build another character ... maybe a smiter, cuz I just saw one rip through the Ancients. I basically just realized unless you have godly equipment, most characters will not be able to just cut through mobs anymore in Hell plus 4 people ... so its not just a problem w/my merc or sin. I think I've just been in denial about the reality of this game. Thanks for all the help tho!

Smiter's seem to do the best against boss types. Is my discernment correct??

16. mmmpld

mmmpld IncGamers Member

Smiters are excellent boss killers, but not much else. If you want to play elsewhere I'd recommend a 1pt smiter (should be a sticky in the pally forum). Basically a zealot that uses a low smite on bosses.

Alternately, and wholeheartedly endorsed by me, is the kicker/trapper (aka dancer). A kicker is similar to smiters in that they excel at killing bosses, while your traps will take care of the mobs. My favourite build so far.

17. HiMyNameIs

hmm...sounds like an interesting build. I'm gonna try it out. Thanks!

So from what I've garnered throughout experience, in game advice, and this forum, it seems paladins (esp. hammerdins) and sorceress (frozen orb) are just a bit overpowered compared to other classes in pvm, especially Baal running.

Is this true?