Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Scary Moments. (content, not character)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Deegan, May 2, 2008.

1. Deegan

Deegan IncGamers Member

My Scary Moments. (content, not character)

What scared you when you first played through this game? Does anything still creep you out?

I scare easy. I admit it. I'll jump if you surprise me around a corner and I'll be peeking thru my fingers when the movie gets tense. I love it. I willfully suspend my disbelief. I like the endorphins and the cool relaxation when those stressful moments are over. I try to put my self in a character's POV and I become intensely focused while playing games. (expecially scary ones)

Are you still jumpy playing Diablo 2 LOD? I'm not. I think I'd have absolutely no short term memory to jump every time the Smith chases me down. Familiarity has diminished my emotional reaction to this game. That isn't a judgement on the value of Diablo, its just a fact.

BUT...I USED TO BE! And that is what this thread is all about! We want to hear your moments of sweaty handed clicking, your manic potion quaffing and even those time you shut the game off you were so scared. Yea...we have a few moments in the Diablo series that we all remember, but I'll open it up to other games as well.

This isn't a "Which game is the most scary as a whole?" thread. It isn't a "I almost got scammed for a ZOD" scary thread. (<-- That is the 'character' I mentioned in the title :wink3:)

I'll start out:

I remember buying D2 at first release and immediately playing online with a friend. I was an amazon and he was a barbarian. We had just cleared the pit, we clear everything the first time through, and headed into the Outer Cloister and were clearing all the side areas before heading into the cathedral. We were talking on the phone, how we communicated online before vent, when we both heard "I'll crush your bones," or whatever the Smith says. I couldn't do any damage...he was so fast...my friend was leaping around trying to hit him. It was chaos, we both panicked, ran back as far as we could. Every time we got close to where he had killed us we were as jumpy as hell. It took about 15 minutes of corpse runs and tense fighting before we got him down. We both agreed: "That was insane!"

Another: The F.E.A.R. Demo. I started it up at about 1:00 in the morning and started walking down that first creepy alley. I was trying to get familier with the HUD and the audio motion alert, when that shadow ran across the screen and the motion alert screamed in my headset. I jumped back in my chair completely freaked out. I peeked around the corner at the end of the ally and didn't see a thing. I was so tense and nerve wracked I exited the game. Too intense. I've never played FEAR again. :hide:

Now it is your turn...Have fun.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  2. RubenusPontius

RubenusPontius IncGamers Member

Re: My Scary Moments. (content, not character)

I remember when I played d2 classic on a computer with no internet acces (so it was v1.00) I didn't dare to use the inner cloister wp because of whats-his-name, the unique quillrat (was it razorspine?)
    And Duriel also scared the **** out of me. I don't really remember any more specific scary moments, just that I had been very, very tense while playing the game...

Something that didn't really scare me but was just very annoying was that Lord de Seis used to have the mod 'steals items' or something of the like, which made you drop your potions to the ground.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  3. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight IncGamers Member

The top scary moments for me:

I was much younger when I played Diablo I, so this was definitely the scariest moment for me. I was merrily walking through the dungeon level 2 with my rogue when I opened what I assumed was an innocent door, and heard "FRESH MEAT!!" I sat there for a second thinking "What?" and then a big demon guy sliced me with his cleaver. I tried to run, but failed (remember, you could only walk in D1!) and got killed in 3 swings.

Next time I opened the door I bolted immediately and ran around trying to hit and run him, but I had no idea if it was actually working or not since there were no health bars. Eventually I got him stuck in the stairwell going down to level 3 and roasted him with a scroll of firewall :cool:

For Diablo II, I'm gonna agree with Duriel. With the other bosses, you know when they're coming and have time to prepare, even the first time through. With Duriel you go down into the chamber and he's on you immediately. Plus he's big and ugly and hits hard.

4. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Honestly I can't think of anything that really scares me with D2. Now D1 is a different story....

5. DayDream

DayDream IncGamers Member

Only thing that scared me in d2 was when I was using headphones and had the volume too high. Joined a game and the sound of an aura just freaked me out.

Also on another note: F.E.A.R is epic scary. xD Not like those "Monster jump out of closet" scare but constant goosebumps~

6. Deegan

Deegan IncGamers Member

You are right...F.E.A.R was scary. It used everything that I found fundamentally freaky about ALIENS, in the first 30 seconds, and made me too tense to play.

I also think there is a difference between creepy fright, and tense anxiousness. The first being: "We never go to Ravenholm," and the second being: The first time you make the portal to Uber Trist and you so so so don't want to screw up and waste all that hard work.

7. Mauz

Mauz IncGamers Member

I share Deegan's fear of making that first uber portal

8. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

The epic chapter in HL2. I won't say no more.

In D2, I don't really remember very far back, but I think I was very nervous when I faced Diablo for my first time. I mean, the screen suddenly stars shaking, and a huge ugly demon appears in the centre of something that looks like the most grandiose Satanistic Cult practice ever.

9. oodjob

oodjob IncGamers Member

I second the comments about D1 and the Butcher...
    The first time I faced the Butcher, I was so bad that roughly two hits would kill me, so when he first came out I freaked and just ran around the walls of his room as he trailed right behind me... my heart was racing so fast. Of course, I was in elementary school then. Ever since then, never been scared by a game.

10. BrickHaus

BrickHaus IncGamers Member

Agreed, the Butcher was by far the scariest goon I have ever seen. It took me so long to figure out how to kill him too. I ran to a room with the bars you could shoot through, closed the door, and let him have a very slow, agonizing death :evil:

11. prion

prion IncGamers Member

scared, i dunno if thats the proper word. I get startled whenever something comes out of nowhere and hits me, I get nervous when i know I'm about to face some serious ****, and I get alarmed whenever i lose a huge chunk of health.

I've even panicked and mashed the wrong keys :grin:

12. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

BOO!

*prion hits power off accidently*

13. Deegan

Deegan IncGamers Member

Oh yea...the Butcher. He was one scary guy. I remember I thought he was so brutal when I first was playing the game that I almost never picked a warrior because I didn't want to go toe to toe with him. I figured out that an amazon could run into prison cell, shut the door and shoot through the bars. The Butcher couldn't open doors. Whew!

14. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Well, in the beginning the Jail levels seemed rather epic to me. I remember cruising through them with my prayer/might/zeal/all other skills that were available around level 13 all pushed to the max. I could basically die at any given time due to the weakness of my paladin. The blue lighting of champions and fanatics etc were pretty intimidating then...

It was also the time when hammerdins and what not didn't ring any bells to me whatsoever.

If anything, I hope d3 will deliver that kind of sensation again :). It's funny though how I found act2 annoying from the first time I ever entered it.

15. mub

mub IncGamers Member

D1 definetly had its moments...the Butcher was the scariest, but Leoric, the Halls of The Blind quest and the one with Arkaines Valor were also pretty creepy. Diablo1 was all in all far more creepy and scary with its atmosphere than D2.