Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My pvm strafer on the paper

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by nurman, Jul 4, 2010.

1. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

My pvm strafer on the paper

Okay, I'm going to make a strafer and have some gear planned. (I have these item ready and I though I could make use of them :p)

Windforce (shaeled)
    Stealskull
    Treachery (In wyrmskin, possibly in AP because it looks sexy :wine:)
    LoH
    Cresent moon / possibly highlords
    Gores
    Razortail
    One BK and one Ravenfrost

Some kind of a torch

Random Life / Resist charms I can supply (The only thing my gear lacks is Resists.)

Merc would use Vgaze, upped noneth shaftstop and reaper's toll non eth.

One more possible setup would be to use Kira's instead of stealskull. (Just for the resists)
    Ofc Shako could be viable too.

Feedback welcome!

Generally I hate Zons but Strafers are pretty funny ^^

I'm planning that Windforce would be my final wep.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: My pvm strafer on the paper

windfury? :)

and on a more serious note:
    Atmas as ammy rocks
    a Rare LL ring > BK by far, tho getting LL is pretty easy elsewhere, the +skill is a waste on this char.
    Andys helm would be my choice for LL
    Don't think you need that much IAS on a WF strafer, but i cba checking atm :D

Resists on a softcore zon are really nn.

3. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

WINDFORCE Sorry, common mistake by me

I'll edit it in

4. Shanksie1337

yeah, i feel guilty now, pick on the non-native English speaker :S.

5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

It's not that, I assure you.

It's just that after 4 years of playing WoW, those terms really stick into your mind.

6. Shanksie1337

windfury in wow?

7. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Its not a bad build to start with if thats what you have already...just a few thoughts:

-You have a lot of IAS for a pure Strafer; are you actually going Strafe/MS? Pure strafer hits the fastest actual BP for strafe with only WF + LoH (maybe +Andy's too, I forget off the top of my head)
    -Stealskull is for a MF bowzon build, which would predicate using Travs and Gheeds. Otherwise Andy's is your friend :)
    -Treachery is good for IAS if you need to hit a BP for MS; otherwise, use Lionheart for pure damage until you can get Fort, or Duress for CB/OW damage
    -BK is pointless, dual Ravens is the best default for the AR and +dex until you get a good rare ring
    -You only need, really, one decent source of LL (like Andy's), since WF comes with good ML and KB. You're doing so much raw damage that your life ball gets filled every strafe cycle, you dont need to double up on leeching equip.
    -You're never going to have good resists, just accept it :) You want to fill up your inventory with +max/ar charms, not res charms.
    -I prefer Tals+Treachery for my A2 mercs, they wont be tanking as much as mercs for other chars since your Zon will keep everyone in hit recovery much of the time. The IAS from Treachery means he triggers his aura a lot faster when you start a run. You can either go Highlords for your ammy+Reapers for your merc, or Atma's+Obedience (my choice).

8. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I though that the +1 from BK would have helped me a bit, extra Critical / Decoy/ Valkyrie/ pierce / damage points aren't bad?

Ahh, I forgot Andariel's, I'll try to obtain one (And WILL socket it with ral :p)

I'll TRY to get some resists, I hate running with 0-50 resists, even if the build can survive without 'em

Thnaks for feedback =)

9. Shanksie1337

I usually run with -50 resists or so on my strafer :D

10. droid

droid IncGamers Member

You get less benefit from +1 skills than you would from a good +dex ring (like Ravens). You get 4x as much extra damage on Strafe with 20 dex than with +1 skills, and Bowzons don't ever lack for spare SPs in the first place.

I know it may be horribly counterintuitive to run with low resists, but you really have no option if you want a viable Strafer. She needs as much +damage and dex as she can get to really shine, and you have to just sacrifice SO MUCH to get above 50 resists in Hell, considering she has no shield or skill to grant +resists. You can get positive res no problem eventually (Fort, anni, torch, Anya, and a rare ring), but 50+ all is aiming high. The FR from LoH offsets the Andy's negative, and you want an IAS or a damage jewel in your Andy's, anyway.

Zons played right rarely get hit anyway, thats the whole point. You leech back what relatively little damage you do take very very quickly. You have DEA to avoid many shots entirely.

Bowzons just require a much differnet, more offensive mindset than, say, a pally or barb. They're the epitome of "glass cannons" and really only play well that one way, so if you want a more beefy ranged char, you're probably better off with a caster or javazon or Medusazon with Silence...

11. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Is it really that much of a sacrifice to use Kira's? It's not necessary, but if it makes things a little more comfortable for you, there's no reason not to go for it. The CBF means you can use two rare rings too. :)

12. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Yes, it really is though...the 35 IAS from an Andy's is necessary to hit the 9fpa MS breakpoint with WF + Fort, the 25-30 str means you get 25-30 more dex which is 25-30 more offweapon ED, and you need a source of LL from somewhere and Andy's provides a nice chunk. You want to use Ravens anyway, the CBF is really just extra since the dex and AR provide the most bonus for a bowzon of any ring short of a really good rare.

Resists really dont actually DO that much for a Zon anyway, as I said before. You dont have much life, you dont get hit that often, and when you do you leech it back pretty much instantly. If you had high resists, instead of dropping to 50% life and then shooting back to 100, you might drop to 25% and then shoot back to 100. The few monsters that can kill you with elemental damage (like Souls, or Diablo's Firestorm) will still kill you even with 50% resists. The amount of deaths you actually prevent by going from 0% to 50% resists is pretty close to zero.

If you really want a safety bowzon, like say for HC or something, I'd suggest going with a Silence Medusazon. 75% res all just from the bow means you can get max resists, and then use Blackhorns+Cleglaws+Nos coil for KB and 55% Hit Slows Target, a Reapers merc for decrep and even more slow, and Duress+Gores for some CB+OW since your base damage will be kinda low. Kills acceptably fast, and is super-duper safe since everything will be super-slow, blinded (+33 Blind Target on Silence), and either very slowly running away from Terror or being KBed. And you get 20 integer lightning absorb to help take the edge off Souls.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  13. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

I agree with your point as far as MS is concerned, but judging from the title, he's going with Strafe entirely//primarily.

Kira's could get him to max resist pretty easily. Even with a poor roll on the helm, swapping a Fine SC or two for a Shimmering SC isn't going to make him kill any slower. Again, I'm not trying to say that you need resistances, but they do offer you a little more room for error. I imagine that being especially helpful on battle.net where lag is an issue, especially with a skill that locks you in place like Strafe.

+1 to the Medusazon, by the way. You can kind of get spoiled by it though. :D

14. MFDeath

MFDeath IncGamers Member

I have to agree, poor res on bowa = no big deal, you really have to get used to the strategic differences and accept it. With merc/valk/decoy properly used plus D/E/A and some kb, you should get hit so rarely that it's a moot issue, especially after you leech it back almost immediately. I suggest you focus 100% on offensive mods and see how it performs, you'll quickly learn to get comfortable without that shield and res afterall I promise.