Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My pup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, May 4, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

I'm sure as hell not walking it every single day multiple times a day, feeding it, bathing it, and caring for it all on my own. Ask me again when you move in and we can share the duties.

2. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay, so I took Dusk out to play and stuff. He's really happy outside, I haven't put a leash on him when he's outside yet, our yard is surrounded by a lineing of hedge so he doesn't get out anyway. He's too scared to go far and he seems to always follow me. Not exactly, but he plays around and if I move to somewhere far away, he'll notice and come straight to me. He runs on the grass a lot but he seems to stumble and trip a lot, is this normal? Also, the vet said i don't need to give him a bowl of water at this age, is that true? He only gets they water I put his crunchies in right now.

Anyway, he's coming along great. Just a bit crazy.

3. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay well it's me again.

Dusk is getting bigger, his coat is getting lighter too and he seems to be getting fat.

I've started to feed him less (the maid feeds him so much so I told her to feed him less). I also take him out a lot more now that he's vaccinated.

I still have a few problems. I don't think he knows where to pee and stuff yet, the thing is i let him outside whenever he gets out of the cage. Anyhow, here are some things I was wondering about:

1) He eats his own poo. What do I do?

2) He likes to eat leaves and petals, a lot. What do I do?

3) He doesn't seem to get it when I scream "NO" at him after he does something bad. He just keeps looking at me and wagging his tail like he's happy.

Thanks.

5. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

I think you need to whip him. Not all bang bang crazy like. Just some good ole' reg spanking.
    When he tried to eat his poo...pop him with a flyswatter at his age. And always remember to add the words NO! So he starts to understand what NO means.

Do this for everything....a magazine/flyswatter..things that dont do alot of damage, mainly becasue he still small and you could hurt him. Just pop him on the rear or the top of the head and repeat NO!

I know the books dont say to do that..but my Attila was so damn hard headed, it had to come to this. And today he looks like hes been taught by a professional as good as he acts now. The only problem I got is when he runs to strangers all happy..and proceeds to run out the yard following them, not knowing he just ran to far out of his boundry I allow him to have. And yes he gets his ass whooped for that..I mainly use a belt, but hes 9 months now.

The bathroom busniess took me prob 6 months to get fixed...and to be honest, it happened over night. I stayed on top of the issue using the method I had uptop..with some whoopings getting worse as he got bigger. And not only does he respect me..but he fears me enough to listen when I say something. If a dog doesnt fear you somewhat..he aint gonna listen.

Eating grass and stuff...well if you dont want him to do it..start correcting him today..with a flyswatter and firm no...it will take time, but you will shape him up to be a good dog sooner or later..all depends on him.

A new dog is like a child, they have to be formed to a extent. But instead of 5 yrs for a child to learn stuff..you got less than a year..prob more like 5 months. So start fast and make it work..otherwise some of these problems will keep going, and the dogs bathroom busniess only gets bigger..so ya dont want that in your house.
    Just try my flyswatter idea...and if hes a little tank and wants to bite it when you pop him(mine did this)..then pop him harder..make it sting, he'll learn.
    Never whip him in his cage tho..let that be his home away from home, and correcting a bathroom problem inside his crate will work itself out..esp when he gets bigger, and fills up more of the crate..he'll not want to sit there next to it all day, so he'll hold it till you get home. Tho mine starting trying to hide it under the mat we put in there for him..so we just took out the mat for prob 2 months...fix that problem.;)

Goodluck.
    Keep us updated.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Well, it's a problem but I really don't feel the need to hurt him physically. I'm sure he gets what I'm talking about. I've had him for almost a month and he already knows when to go pee. He'll bark and scratch his cage and then run right out when I open the cage door. Doesn't do it until he's outside, unless he can't hold it.

So yeah...I guess I'll save the whipping for later, if I must.

7. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Thinking you have to physically hurt your dog to make it obey is total and utter bull**** and just shows you know nothing about dogs or cba learning since being physical is the easier way out. A belt ffs?? I'm too tired to even bother going on about this...

8. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

A good rule is to feed him all he can eat in two or three sittings per day (three is better,) but don't let him free feed. It will take a while for him to learn where to eliminate, so keep working with him and be patient. As for your specific questions:

1) This is not uncommon, and could represnt a nutritional or digestive deficiency, an effort to clean up behind himself, or simple curiosity. Make sure you have a good quality food and that he has been checked by a vet. If that is not the problem, there are powders that can be sprikled on top that will deter him from eating it, or you can remove it with a pooper scooper. Because of your "weight promlem," I'd get the vet to check him out, though.

2) That's fine. All dogs do this to some extent. It adds fiber to his diet, and he is probably experiencing the tast of everything. I wouldn't worry.

3) Read a training book (I've said this alot in this thread.) The pup either doesn't understand the word or does not understand that he has to obey it. Another option is "puppy kindergarten," where they'll begin the "pre-training" of you and your dog.

Hope this helps.

9. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Hmm can't edit...just wanted to add that I'm glad you're not resorting to beating, masterazn. :)

Me and mum have our work cut out for us with Gabi too but I'm loving every moment of it. Some things she learns fast some take longer time, add the fact that she's a cheeky bugger who likes to play with us to test her boundaries and you can easily see how it takes a lot of patience...I think my arms have stretched by quite a few cm from walking her. ;)

You will need to establish dominance. Pup has to know eventually that he is at the bottom of the pack. His "pack" being you and your family now. There are tricks to do this like you always walk first through a door, you don't let him "win" at games (like tug-o-war) etc. Do take the time to do some reading, if you can't get access to books there are a lot of sites and forums out there. You have to get to know how your particular breed of dog functions and reacts to be able to train it successfully.

10. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yeah I think I know how he functions.

He won't shut up until I let him out of the cage.

I have a problem with the leash. His collar is currently a bit loose because he's so small, so it freely kinda of rotates around his neck and the leash often falls under one of his front legs, kind of like in his arm pits? And he trips an stuff. He's so dumb, he likes to run aruond me and then the leash is tried around my legs and he's wondering why he can't keep going around me.....

11. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Hahaha Gabster does that leash-thing too. And she eats poo. She is also completely mesmerized when you sing to her. ;) Very amusing, she runs up to you and starts doing the head-tilting thing.

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

yea, no offense to cyberhawk, but he's a violent lunatic, I wouldn't listen to him

13. CyberHawk

lol..ya'll are crazy. Didn't I add "bang bang crazy"..and how NOT to do this. Comon..simple reading skills are used in a forum.
    And know nothing about dogs?..well they eat, crap, and sometimes eat their own crap..so whats to know? If a belt is ok for the kids..its sure as hell good enough for a damn dog.
    Listening to me, as someone else said "makes it the easy way out", but also makes you NORMAL!
    The same people telling you to not spat your dog with a flyswatter..are the same ones that tell you to cut their nuts off as soon as possible. :bonk:

14. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 Diabloii.Net Member

And aren't you the one who said he beats on his dog with boxing gloves to "toughen him up"?

Don't listen to Cyberhawk, masterazn; he's an ignorant redneck.

That being said, physical enforcement is not completely inappropriate. However, you need to do it in a manner that is in a dog's vocabulary. If you need to get a point across, a mildly firm shake of the scruff will do. This is what a mother dog will do if a pup is getting out of line. When was the last time you're seen a mother dog hit a pup with a newspaper or belt(!!!)? Hitting a dog will just build resentment and fear. And fear leads to bites.

Here's collection of links about feces eating, coprophagia: http://www.dog-play.com/poop.html

One of my dog absolutely loooves eating cat poop. He sniffs it out and roots for it like a pig goes after truffles :) The best solution is probably just to not put the dog in a situation where he could eat feces.

15. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yeah, my dog's been eating all this crap from the yard lately. I've been telling him no and I always ruffle his scruff part. Apparently, he just won't stop. Since I'll always have him on a leash, I figure I'll just pull him away until he decides it's hopeless to try for the poop. The thing is, this pup is so restless. I tied him up in the yard once and he just kept trying to run towards this one direction and the leash caught him everytime. But he kept going at it for a good hour until I guess he was tired and sat down.

Another thing, my dog sits funny. My previous dogs (older) sat normally, with two paws in front and the two hind lengs tucked in pointing in the same direction. My pup now puts his paws in front but his hind legs are kind of sticking out like a a Guess model would do when lying down. Anyway...

Also, he doesn't seem to like cuddles and pets :(

16. CyberHawk

He LOVES playing with my boxing gloves! And saying its tuff'in him up is my way like saying when a boy falls down, and the parent says "aww comon now get up..you'll be fine..your tuuff arent you..ya you are ;)"...this is the way I commented on my boxing game with the dog. We wrestle, and playfight everyday.
    And your alrdy resultin in name calling...so now whose the ignorant one.

Calling people petty names and then trying to give advice makes you look like a real genius....and actually now I figure your the one living opposite what you say. I mean you give the motherly advice..does she start calling people ignorant rednecks when she doesnt even know the whole damn story....lol, ya you took the "stupid" award for the day. Congrats.

17. Beowulf

Beowulf Diabloii.Net Member

Ummm actually it is a very good idea to get a dog fixed asap. Many breeders now do it before 8 weeks. Among other things it reduces the chances for certain cancers. Also in aggressive or hyperactive dogs it reduces the hormones.

18. CyberHawk

12 weeks is what I'm told. And for sure before 6 months<<for some reason. But I didnt..nothing against somebody who does tho...but doing any kind of surgery relates to problems...so doing a clip/snip or not, there problems any which way you chose.
    Alot of people think it will manner down the dog..but from what I'm told this is not true...but according to people I know who have done it..they say yes.
    So as you can see...it goes all directions.
    What they really want to say is...STOP MAKING MUTTS!..KEEP IT PURE OR NIP THE TIP!!1! :)