Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My pup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, May 4, 2005.

1. StarStageGurl

StarStageGurl Diabloii.Net Member

I couldn't resist. He's so so adorable.

Yes it's normal that he slips so much on that floor, but it's also unacceptable. A floor like that will make his hind legs "nei ba", or permanently face inwards.
    Oh yea, don't let him jump on his hind legs either because that will make his legs "wai ba" permanently face outwards. The puppy period is very important. Give him tons of exercise.(when I say tons, I mean tons) Don't let him run on that floor. Once he stops peeing and pooing everwhere, keep him on the carpet and such.

Once he has his immunity shots, bring him out all the time.

Also, people tend to overuse the word "NO" while training a pup. Only stand up, point sternly, raise your voice and say "NO" when you want to stop the pup from doing something. Remember, don't laugh or suddenly become really nice afterwards. (that includes anyone standing around) IMO, a little smack on the butt should also accompany the stern voice. Not one that would hurt, just one that would get the message across. (Huskys don't have many nerves on the butt/torso anyways:p) If the doggy peed on the floor, hold his head down so he can smell the pee then say NO sternly once. Then bring him to the desirable pee/poo place and then change your tone.

That's one awesome pup:) Hope he has become your pride and joy.

Edit: anymore questions? Ask me.

2. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

Huskies need a lot of exercise pretty much from birth. As long as it is immunized and it won't escape, letting it outside is fine.

Also, dogs like to chew on things, especially puppies. They are teething, just as we do. All sorts of squeak toys and chew toys are great.

SSG, how do you recommend he stops the dog from slipping on the tile floor? I'm curious about this one myself; I didn't know that before.

3. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 Diabloii.Net Member

1. This might mean that he's staying too long in the cage without going to the bathroom and he can't hold it until he gets outside. He's still very young and needs to go very frequently. When I got my bulldog puppy last summer, we had to take him out every 2-3 hours, 24 hours a day. Yes, that sucked. The general rule of thumb is that the number of months old a puppy is, that's how many hours he can hold it. You should also be sure to take him straight from the cage to the potty spot.

Don't know about the peeing while walking thing. If it continues you might want to ask a vet about it.

2. Sure, assuming he's where he needs to be with his vaccines.

3. You're going to need to anticipate when he needs to go to the bathroom. Take him out frequently so that he doesn't have the chance to go inside and praise him when he does go in the right place.

4. Remember, you have to catch him in the act in order for a punishment to be linked with the action. Just keep up with it and be consistant and he'll get it eventually. Consistancy is extremely important. Punishing for an action sometimes and not others isn't going to be effective at all.

5. He's still very young and learning his body, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

Btw, don't let him get away with chewing on anything other then his chew toys. Nip it in the bud now. Unless you want a dog to randomly destroy your household possesions for the next 10-15 years...

4. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I got him a chew toy but he doesn't like it.

Also, I take him out of the cage on put him on the thing he's supposed to crap on, and he either:

1) walks off and craps right next to it

or

2) starts biting the **** (no pun indended) out of the thing he's supposed to crap on.

He doesn't seem to get it when I tell him off either. What am I suppose to do to him physically when he's being bad? I don't want to hit him because...well...it's cruel.

5. adamfgt78

Well, if he doesn't like the chew toy that much, then I guess he doesn't get to chew on anything, since you're not letting him chew on random household objects, right? I suppose you could try getting a couple different varieties and he might like one of those better. Or perhaps one that is food flavored.

Ah, you're trying to train with puppy pads? You're in for a real uphill battle with that and I would HIGHLY advise you to abandon it and just take him outside to go to the bathroom instead. I tried it for a while and also had the problem of them missing the pad and wanting to play with the pad. Even if you do manage to train him to only go on the pad, I imagine that you'll eventually want to have him going outside. Well, then you're going to have to transition his behavior from going on the pad to going outside. Essentially, you'll have to potty train him twice. It really isn't going to be worth it and it will be much easier to potty train him outside since that is much more natural than going on a pad inside. So long as he's had his first round of shots, there should be no problem with going outside.

No, don't hit him. A firm shake of the scruff and a firm negative tone will be sufficient. How exactly is he being bad? If he's jumping up on you, then don't let him do it, physically. If he's picking up things he shouldn't, then take it away from him. Keep up with it and he'll learn eventually. It won't be overnight, though, that's for sure.

I should also point out that YOU might need to take steps to modify the environment to be more puppy friendly and safe. Its not fair if a bunch of tempting objects are left around within the puppy's reach and then you get mad when he grabs them. A dog's behavior can be modified quite a bit, but it's not limitless. For example, we've spent many, many hours in training with our dogs and they are quite well mannered. But I still can't leave a plate of food on the coffee table and expect them not to get into it if I leave the room. There are limits to what are reasonable expectations for behavior given a certain situation and environment.

You really should pick up a puppy-raising book. That will answer many of your basic questions. At the very least, check out some websites.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

He's had one shot...for I don't know what. he's getting his next one in a few days I think. He just pooped on the floor again. I guess i'll give up the pad.

So if he poops inside the house and that's not good, do I just drag him over show him, say no and ruffle his scruff, then take him outside? Another thing, he seems to pee only a tiny bit each time, is that normal?

A puppy training book is not readily available to me. I've already checked online but they didn't have a really clear-cut, detailed website. If anyone's googling skills are better than mine, please prove me wrong.

I'm not letting him bite on household objects (actually, he doesn't bit anything except the puppy pad and sometimes his cage). He used to bite my hand a lot but now he doesn't (i kept telling him no). He still bites my mom's hand a lot though.

So he's still young and the collar i got for him barely fits on him (i have to attach it so that the loop is at teh smallest hook thing because his neck is so small). Should I put on the collar now or wait until he's bigger? I'm going to change collars when he's bigger anyway. Should I leash him when he's outside?

7. adamfgt78

No, that was bad advice to do that. A dog doesn't have the ability to reason and showing the puppy the mess won't make the connection to going to the bathroom. You need to catch him in the act. That's probably fine that he only pees a little bit. Puppy only have very small bladders.

Yeah, he really should have a collar and id tag(I'm guessing that a proof of vaccination isn't required by law in China) on at all times. The collar also provides a useful handle to guide him around. He should get used to being on a leash. You might be suprised but it takes some learning for them to know to walk along besides you on leash. He might be resistant to being on leash at first, but just praise him when he does walk towards you and along with you and he'll pick it up soon enough.

Do you have a secure, fenced in yard with nothing dangerous? If you do, then it's probably ok to let him go to the bathroom without a leash from time to time. If not, then he should never be off leash, especially being a Husky. I hope you realize that Huskies have a problem with running away and should be kept secure at all times. The sled dog background gives than an instict to run, run, run and that includes running off into the sunset never to be seen again.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yes, I heard about huskies being notorious for their running away forever thing.

I currently have a backyard that is not fenced yet, but when the time comes, I will either have him on a leash at all times or I will fence up the garden. I read that the best would be a chain-link fence that is about 6ft tall. Should I do something about the ground? I heard you can lay down tiles so that he won't dig or something. I'm not too fond of having to clean his paws so he can come in, but is it in anyway harmful not to let him dig?

Okay, so it's alright to take him outside without all the vaccines, I won't leave him out too long.

Okay, how exactly do I tell him that it's wrong to crap in the house? I mean, i see him and he's just there crapping, so what do I do exactly? Yell at him? Pull him away? Either way, he'd still have crapped, I jsut don't know what exactly I'm meant to do when he does it.

Second, everytime I feed him, he eats like he hasn't eaten in three weeks. Should I feed him more or just leave it be? I currently feed him about a fistful of puppy crunchy whatever things. I put then in water so that they become soft and then feed it to him. I feed him three times a day like that.

Third, what do I do about my floor if he keeps slipping?

Also, when I let him out to play, he sometimes starts growling and barking at my foot for some reason. Does that mean he's angry or he's just playing? In his cage sometimes, he starts barking and growling at absolutely nothing (maybe a mosquito?) and starts pawing at the air. Is that normal or?

Lastly, he seems to pee all over himself.

9. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Since he's that young, I imagine you can't expect him to learn within a few days, or maybe even weeks. Be patient. Take him out about ½ hour to an hour after a meal and make sure to compliment him when he does pee or poo outside. Above all (as has been stated already) don't do the "show him the mess and discipline him" thing.

Leave it, imo. If food is available, a puppy will eat eat and eat. Better then to teach him to eat at certain times. I've actually seen a friends pup eat so much that he looked like a baloon and she had to take him to the vet (the pup had accidentally got into the cupboard where food was kept).

Perfectly normal. He's a baby after all. :) Just imagine how many new exciting and perhaps scary smells he encounters each day. ;)

Again, I wouldn't worry. Again, the baby thing. ;)

Good luck!

10. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

absolutely will need a fence, they love running, and when they're out they think your chasing them is a game

they just fricken love running... so off he'll go, tie him to a sled to slow him down
    :thumbsup:

as for digging, unless you don't mind having holes or destroyed plants it's probably better for him to dig and keep his nails from getting too long, any kind of activity will help with that

11. KnightFall

KnightFall Diabloii.Net Member

Great pic of him looking at the camera! He's really cute. :)

Are his eyes really that beatiful blue colour or is that partly the camera flash?

I want one now!
    KnightFall

12. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

House training a dog is a lot like potty training a kid--it takes patience and it takes time. It sounds like your dog is actually doing pretty well. Dogs have a natural aversion to soiling their den, and I gather from your description that he is holding it as long as he can only to release it as soon as he is out. He must learn that the "den" comprises the house as well, and that he needs to hold it until he gets to a more appropriate spot. This will take months of correction (when he goes inside,) praise (when he goes outside,) and scrubbing carpets to perfect. All dogs go through it, though.

As a previous poster pointed out, it isn't helpful to "rub his nose in it" after the fact. You must catch him in the act and correct him in a way that he understands as correction. I'm not advocating cruelty, but if you are saying "no" and he isn't paying attention, you're not doing something right. Ever see an older dog bark or growl because a puppy is irritating it? The puppy stops, right? That is the result you are looking for.

I reccommend once again getting a book or video on puppy training. For a $15 investment, you can save yourself a lot of grief.

13. RebirthOfMak

RebirthOfMak Diabloii.Net Member

My dogs a killer... :D lol

Mak~

14. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yeap. He has nice blue eyes!

How do I praise him? He doesn't seem to like it when i pet him on the head.

Yeah, he doesn't even look at me, he usually goes off and does something while I'm yelling. What do I do about that?

I live in China and they don't have these books here. We're too busy protesting against the Japanese.

Irrelevant quote but, are you Ladymak?!

What's the mileage on the average husky?

Y.H.'s become my pride and joy :).

15. RebirthOfMak

RebirthOfMak Diabloii.Net Member

Nope lol....

Mak~

16. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Oh my, I thought so too when I saw the name...

masterazn, can't you order a book from amazon or the likes? Are there any dog training courses you could attend (when pup is older ofc)?

17. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Unfortunately, it's not like that in China. I could order from amazon but it would take ages to get here he'd be big already. There's no training courses that I know of here...I guess I'm just left on my own. Which is why I'm pestering the forum about it so much.

The only other dogs I've taken care of were already grown up and were stray dogs anyway. They stayed outside all the time and basically looked after themselves.

18. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Well I'll see what I can find in form of on-line books or forums that may help. I see your dilemma, and it is important to train a dog properly. My mom recently got a new doggie too, 6 months old cutie called , Gabi so I'm quite into this atm. :)

19. adamfgt78

Check out http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/.

Be sure to check out the article titled "Why Won't My Dog LISTEN to me?" for how to praise and reprimand, including audio samples.

20. Aeval

Aeval Diabloii.Net Member

I was going to bring that up too. find out as much as you can online, and do your best to train him... my ex boyfriend had a black lab that he didn't train very well, and she ended up eating the walls, literally.

Drunk! I want one!! pppppleeeaasseeee????
    *makes puppy dog eyes and pouts*