Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My pup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, May 4, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

My pup

So I recently got a puppy (a husky), it's about 50 days old only. Now, I was just wondering if it's normal that he keeps biting stuff. He bites furniture, carpets, his mattress thing, my hand and it's not those playful bites, he's biting as hard as he can. Is this normal?

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

pretty normal, and huskies are destroyers, just wait 'til he starts digging, hope you don't have a nice garden

3. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

its normal that they bite, my cousins killed my shoes and my passport,

its so nice when they piss on/In your shoe or take a crap in the sofa(the one my cousin had was brown take a wild guess)

4. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Ya many northern dogs love to dig!!! My malamute has his area in the back for digging and spends the summer digging little holes to sleep in since the earth is cooler when freshly dug.

5. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I assume you mean he is chewing on those things. If so, that is unacceptable behavior and you need to start correcting it now, verbally and/or with a shake of the scruff. Remember that a dog is not able to mentally connect an action and a punishment more than a few seconds apart. If you find a shoe or whatever that he chewed up 30 minutes ago, there is really nothing you can do because he won't associate any punishment with the act of chewing on the shoe. You pretty much have to catch him in the act.

As far as biting people, the common school of thought is to not allow any sort of play biting or mouthing. However, a trainer was telling me that there is a school of thought that says you should let the puppy experiment in biting you, but let it be known when he bites too hard. The idea is for the puppy to establish bite inhibition on humans. If you observe a puppy playing with an older dog, you'll notice the puppy nipping at the dog, but the older dog won't let him get away with biting too hard. The puppy will learn how much bite pressure is exceptable on other dogs. If a puppy isn't allowed to learn this against humans, when he needs to get a message across to a human that he needs to be left alone, he does not know the appropriate amount of pressure to apply and will bite much harder than he really means to. The idea is that this method will result in much less severe dog bites, if they should happen.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need to provide an outlet for the chewing behavior, namely chew dog toys. Don't give the dog old shoes, etc to chew since he will be unable to understand the difference between new shoes and old shoes.

Edit2: Don't know if they're available to you, but Kong chew toys are great.

6. masterazn

masterazn Banned

He's only 50 days old. Can he play with chew toys?

7. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

Why not? He certainly can't go around learning that its ok to chew on household objects. They do make puppy Kongs.

8. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Oh well, I don't know much about dogs. This one is pretty young and all, I'm told not to let it out of its cage too often either. It sleeps most of the time anyway.

9. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Buy a puppy training book and read it. The one by the Monks of New Skeet is very good. Your puppy can't see very well yet and everything is new to him. He experiences everything through his mouth, so after he finds it, it is natural to mouth it. On top of that, he has a natural urge to chew, which will only get worse when he gets a little older and begins to lose his baby teeth. A stern "no" to get his attention and show your displeasure is part of the solution, then give him something more appropriate to chew on (kongs, as mentioned before, are great.) Also, pick up everything you don't want chewed and put it out of his reach. He's still going to chew things he isn't supposed to for a while, but with a little work you can begin to teach him rules. And for God's sake let him out of the cage whenever you can. Crating him to keep him out of trouble is fine, but he should be spending as much time with you and in the world as is possible.

Please remember you are dealing with an infant that is soon to be a toddler and treat him accordingly. He has natural dog urges that he will follow, and you will have to modify some of them. But EVERYTHING he is going to learn, good or bad, he is going to learn by himself or from YOU.

Good luck with your dog; he can be a great addition to your life or a holy terror. A lot of how he turns out will depend on how he is raised in his first year, so please do a little learning on your own. You and your dog will appreciate it.

10. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Cool. I have a Pekanese (sp?) and a half Poodle half Pekanese (sp?). Steen Louise and Chewee, I love those dogs.

11. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Gib pictures of puppy!!!

KnightFall

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

whoa...

creepy

13. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Awwww! How cute! :lol:

KnightFall

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

My step-sisters old husky used to play bite, but it was not even close to painful. I guess he was trained at an early age the difference between painful biting and play biting.

15. mexicanoloco

mexicanoloco IncGamers Member

u have to train them from scratch not to bite...beacuse if hes only 50 days old and hes bites hurt now..imagine his bites in a year or two..

16. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

wow a husky! is that your first dog? Because if it is, you're gonna be pretty busy the next few months. A husky is not a dog recommended for new dog owners. But imo a husky is really cool. :)

Anyway, you should try to train it as fast as possible and so it doesnt damage your home anymore. Good luck!

17. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

In honor of this thread I made my 'tar a pic of my dog.

18. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i don't think that it is unusual.

19. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Yes, it's pretty normal for dogs to chew on things. You are going to have to spend a lot of time with him on training. You are going to have to be the Alpha.

20. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay, so he doesn't bite me anymore (usually). He still bites my mom and everyone else, which is a good thing I guess because all i want is a crazy four-legged killing machine that is mine (just kidding).

Anyway, I've had dogs before, just not pups. So I have a few questions/problems:

1) He seems to pee while walking/running around. As soon as I let him out of his cage to play, he pees/poos. He stops to poo but pees on the run (wtf?).

2) he's only 2 months old, is it safe to bring him outside in the yard?

3) Why won't he stop pooing/peeing everywhere?

4) He doesn't get it when I yell at him for being bad. I tug at his neck

5) He walks around a lot and sometimes does this really cute half-jumping motion like he wants to run really fast. He also walks sideways a lot and bumps into stuff. He seems to slip a lot on his hind legs. I have a tile floor, so it's a bit slippery, but should he really be slipping this much?

Anyway, he's such a hassle.
    Now, I tried taking pics of him, but he won't stop moving, so I only have one pic where he's actually looking at me.

He's actually looking!
    Having a go at the vase
    Biting (again)