Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Personal Thoughts on D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gorema, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Gorema

Gorema IncGamers Member

My Personal Thoughts on D3

First of all, hi. First time poster, long time lurker.

A bit of my self

I hail from Finland, like metal music, reading and being out with friends.
    I'll be 15 the 12th of this month, so driving a moped will be on my hobby list. Also I play squash. Now enough about me and onto D3

There are a few things I would like to comment on.

First of all, the graphics, a major controversy creator. I personally like the graphics and don't mind them being a bit brighter. They have added lot's of nice
    details into it, with the gory details being just one. The thing I think the brighter
    overall look will give us is contrast. In my opinion, Act IV didn't really look more evil than Act, because it was continiously as dark and gloomy. Whereas now, let's say Act I looks like what's shown in the gameplay video and compare THAT to the Act IV of D2. I personally think that Act IV would look much more intimidating compared to the D3 Act I than the D2 Act I.

The Witchdoctor is another big source of controversy.

I personally didnt't like the Necro in D2, he seemed a bit too reliant of his summons after he got nerfed quite a bit, giving me a feeling of passive gameplay(it's hard to explain). Plus the fact that I dislike playing Summoners in any game. The Witchdoctor though, seems to require a more active approach, and so far seems like a very fun class to play as. And I really like the idea of blowing up your summons and empowering them with different elements such as disease. Makes them feel more like suicide bombers than real minions (Well, that's my humble opinion at least)

The Barbarian

I'm really happy that the Barb is in, though I think that Blizz screwed up with one thing. Showing him in the first gameplay video. I personally think that they should have shown two all new characters in the video, instead of one new and one old. You can see the effect on the Necromancer community (not to be taken offensively, though I don't know how that woud be possible)

Being too WoWish.

Nah, it's not being too WoWish in my opinion. It's still Diablo and it's still an ARPG at core. I personally find the inventory change an improvement.
    Though there is one thing that I find a bit too WoWish. The shoulderpads. Remove 'em damn things.

Final Words

I almost had a heartattack when my friend sent me a link to the gameplay video. Ever since the 29th of June, I've been following this game like a fat kid following a trail of donuts. Blizzard, thanks for Diablo 3 :thumbup:

2. kontankarite

kontankarite IncGamers Member

Re: My Personal Thoughts on D3

Actually, the other gameplay video of the WD shows a more promising environment.

Honestly, I am starting to think they recorded the gameplay trailer with the brightness and gamma brought up so that you can clearly see the gameplay and am starting to think the video does justice for the gameplay, but not the art. In fact, I think it may be darker than we think.

Seriously, compare the WD video to the other gameplay video. The WD one seems WAY WAY darker.

Also, the expansion with adding a shoulder pads and other various pieces of armor into the game I think will lead to a much more unique experience.

What is it now? Breast plate, greaves, thigh pads, shoulder pads, gloves, helmet, and belt? That's a lot of choices for a very unique look.

3. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

Most powerful build for necro was Bonemancer with as name say rely on bone and poison tree. Summoner was powerful too, while his druid version was pathetic even if you intall mod which remove this stupid cap so you could get all pets.
    I don't see anything interesting in WD so far some of his skill like fire bomb and mass confusion are rip from d2 his monguls pets looked weak just see how long they needed too take this buffalo down compared to others WD spell they weren't to deadly. Casting buff on lets say 15 pets can be very tiring but idea is good. Wall of zombies are great spell but i hope there will be some intelligent monsters too which don't rash so stupidly on this wall.

4. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

Welcome! When you said you liked metal, I thought for sure you were going to complain about the symphonic score ;)

But seriously, I agreed with most of what you said, just a couple of things I disagree on:

I liked the Necro, I thought he was a nice change of pace from the other classes. He was more passive, but when you're used to playing something like a barb or pally, he's good and different. I still like the WD though, I think he'll be a nice new direction.

I say keep the shoulderpads, I think the D2 inventory could have used a couple more slots, and legs and shoulders really were the only ones left. I just hope that, with each piece showing up individually on your character, that you have the option of uniforming your character's color scheme (Hellgate got that right at least). I hate in WoW that every piece of armor you wear is a different color (unless you have a complete set). Makes your character look like a rainbow :p

5. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I agree with the op about the shoulder issue. Here's my problem: Blizzard puts these impossibly huge shoulder pads on a lot of thier chrs in too many of their games. The ads I see fow WoW show this orc with a beady little head and these huge mountains of shoulder pads on either side. How is he supposed to lift his weapon? Won't those things squash his head if he does?

We saw the start of this trend in D1, with the warrior portrait showing one large shoulder plate on one side. This was Ok, because it was reasonable, thin enough, and this style of defense was actually used in history. You can actually look up suits of armor and see a few of these shoulder palte designs. But in D2, it started to get retarded. The Druid, on close inspection when in the character selection screen, has a shoulder plate extending about a foot and a half away from where his actual shoulder is. The necro gets his first quilted armor and simply folds it up and puts the whole thing on one shoulder. Other characters look like football players with all that shoulder stuff and it takes away from the sensibility and dark ages atmosphere of the game. Who actually aims for the shoulder anyway? I hope they truely lay off with the impossibly big shoulder armor in d3.

6. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi IncGamers Member

I'm on your side Gorema:thumbup:
    My thoughts exactly

7. Gorema

Gorema IncGamers Member

I have nothing against having shoulderpads in D3, quite the opposite. I like the idea of having more options for your armor. It's the size I'm, against.

Just to clarify =) And thanks for the welcomes!