My Perfect Hammerdin

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
My Perfect Hammerdin

OK. So I just went through a painstaking quest to create a Hammerdin and idealize him with the help of a few buds on open b.net. I crafted him to what I thought would be the best possibilities. I'd give you his stats, items, etc. and I want you guys to tell me any recommendations you might have. (He's level 99) So here it is:

Items:
Helm: Harlequin Crest socketed with a Shael (faster hit recovery)
Armor: Enigma--Archon Plate
Boots: Sandstorm Trek
Gloves: Magefist
Weapon: Heart of the Oak
Shield: Herald of Zakarum with a Perfect Diamond (cheaper than an Um)
Rings: Two Stone of Jordans
Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
Belt: Arachnid Mesh
Weapon Switch: The Grandfather with a 40/15 max damage
Charms: 5xCombatSkills w/hp, 4xhp sc, Annihilus Charm

Skills:
Blessed Hammer:42 (Maxed)
Concentration:35 (Maxed)
Blessed Aim:35 (Maxed)
Vigor:35 (Maxed)
Holy Shield:24 (Base: 2 skill points)
Charge:35 (Maxed)
Meditation:16 (Base: 1 skill point)
Redemption:16 (Base: 1 skill point)
Teleport: 14 (from HOTO)
A couple requirements.

Stats:
Strength:209 (Base:73)
Dexterity:141 (Base:104)
Vitality:460 (Base:398)
Energy:42 (Base:15)
HP:2130 (2899 w/ Lvl 4 Oak Sage from HOTO)
Mana:648
Resists: 75 all
Defense: 10994
Chance to block: 75%
Hit Recovery: 40%
Run/Walk: 65%
Magic Find: 149% (easily raisable, e.g.:perf Topaz in Shako, War Travs, Chanceguards)
Damage Reduction: 18%
Damage to Mana: 15%
Cast Rate: 80 (enough to hit 75 break point)
Hammer Damage: 13k-13k
Charge Damage(w/Gf): 4916-15k
Attack Rating(w/Gf): 5994

That's just enough strength so that I can use Gf and just enough dexterity to have 75% chance to block and the rest in vitality. My basic strategy is to just teleport in and beat the crap out of everyone with my hammers. Those few tricky strays that manage to avoid them get smashed when switch to the Gf and charge their butts. Works quite well so far. Keep in mind that most of these items are at their best possible mod values (20/20/10 anni for example) so this completely possible but close enough. I haven't thought about a merc yet, probably going to be a Holy Freeze, no telling what equipment though. Tell me what you think. Any recommendations for the whole thing?

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
First off why GF? Eth BOTD berzerker axe deals tons of dmg too and its one handed. Second archon plate has too high of a strength req. I prefer mage plates. Also use a 20 dex raven instead of a soj. That equals 60 life. I find 10 combat charms to be a must. As for the belt use verdungoes against melee and tgods against lightning users. The +1 on the arachnid isn't worth it.

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
shade449 said:
First off why GF? Eth BOTD berzerker axe deals tons of dmg too and its one handed. Second archon plate has too high of a strength req. I prefer mage plates. Also use a 20 dex raven instead of a soj. That equals 60 life. I find 10 combat charms to be a must. As for the belt use verdungoes against melee and tgods against lightning users. The +1 on the arachnid isn't worth it.
I realize that BOTD would do a lot more damage than Gf, but I plan on getting all of these items and I'm sure a BOTD would take me forever and it would really stink just to have it around for a secondary weapon. And because I use Gf I already have enough strength to use the archon plate. Ravenfrost is a good recommendation for the dex and cannot be frozen and such. I think 10 combat charms is a little gratuitous; I like having inventory room. I don't have to many problems with melee because of defense and I'm sure it will be even better when I get a holy freeze merc because the killing speed will take care of most before it becomes a big problem. Tgods however is a great idea now that I think about it because of the souls that blast the hell out of everybody and have proved to be the only real weakness of the hammerdin. As far as arachnid mesh, on top of the +1 to skill I also get 20% fcr, 5% max mana, and 10% slow enemies which are farely useful but Tgods would make an awesome switch. Thanks for the help!

Jackson

Diabloii.Net Member
Also, BoTD has a lot of leeching on it, so when you charge (dealing lots of physical damage), you can leech back life and mana.

shade449

Diabloii.Net Member
Whoa for some reason I thought this was pvp... if its pvm than a gf is fine since you don't need a shield as much. As for the arachnid... well i guess its ok but I just don't like it for some reason :scratch: Since it seems like your resists are ok I would switch the maras for a crafted ammy with fastcast. That way you could wear tgods all the time.

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
shade449 said:
Whoa for some reason I thought this was pvp... if its pvm than a gf is fine since you don't need a shield as much. As for the arachnid... well i guess its ok but I just don't like it for some reason :scratch: Since it seems like your resists are ok I would switch the maras for a crafted ammy with fastcast. That way you could wear tgods all the time.
Yes. I did consider that a crafted ammy could be the way to go; however, if I'm not mistaken caster crafted ammys only give 5-10% fcr and some mana mods. Mara's gives me huge resists (which I love) and +5 all attributes which means 5 more strength, 5 more dexterity, and 5 more vitality makes 45 more hit points available. With a 32 +all HOTO, perf Anni, and a diamond in Zak, I had 81% resists, which leaves me with only 6 to spare. On the other hand I suppose I could use resist small charms to make a difference. In such a case, a 20% fcr, +2 pally skills, +a few resists, +mana, +hit points, +strength, +dexterity, or another good combination of the latter four would make a good substitution. But I found that for anybody other than souls I really don't need Tgods that much. But if I ever find such an ammy I'll make sure to jump on it. Thanks!

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
As Shade said, Gf does find without a shield because keep in mind that it's just to take out strays who avoid my hammers or to get around and launch myself into a battle. Once I'm actually there I switch back to my HOTO and Zak.

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
Character Weapon
Hit Recovery Frames
17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
Paladin
Spears and staves
- - - - 0 3 7 13 20 32 48 75 120 280 - -
Other weapons
- - - - - - - - - 0 7 15 27 48 86 200 -

I found this for pally Hit Recovery Rates. I have 40% right now (20 from Sandstorm Trek, 20 from shael in Shako). I think it would be ideal to go for 5 frames and get 50% fhr by getting two 5% small charms. If my character were ladder I could get Shadow Dancer boots and get +15-25 dexterity along with 30% fhr.

Inevitable x1x

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm i should try and that gear for mine, all i got is hand of blessed light, 2 sojs, maras, wiz spike, wartravs, viper magi and 10 combat charms,, wish i had the arachnid beltf and a nnhil char, : / ah well il keep trying.

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
Jackson said:
Oh my gosh..why would you need over 200 strength for a hammerdin?
Because I spend the rest of my skill points in charge which has a common synergy (vigor). With my Gf I do 4k-14k damage per hit and that's with over 2k hit points. Not bad, eh?

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
I just got myself an Arachnid mesh. I already have Mara's, Sojs, Magefist, Zak, Shako, Anni, and two Combat skill charms.

All I need now is Hoto, Enigma, Sandstorm Trek, 3 more combat charms, and later on a Gf. No prob. Right? ;)

ZonnyWonny

Diabloii.Net Member
My ideal hammerdin. - lvl **
maxed hammer and synergies w/ concentration. rest into holy shield(nothin else i needed really)

equipment:
Ptop shako
Um'd HOZ
2xSOJ
Dusk Enigma
38%res HOTO
22%res mara
trang gloves / frostburns - depends on what i feel like...
Arachnid mesh
crap anni
gheeds
1 combat charm

on switch:
+6BO CTA flail
Lidless wall (exta +skill for BO)

so thats +18 combat / 15 other skills w/ battle command
He gets about 2.6k life just over 1k mana w/ BO
max resists. Hammers do 13K dmg or so.

Only time i ever die is when i forget to switch back from CTA heh and that even takes some doing.

IliketoNARR

Diabloii.Net Member
Jackson said:
You sure Marrowalks won't be better for you? (Stats and mana).
Of things notable Marrowwalks give:
+10-20 Strength
+17 Dexterity
+20% faster run/walk
Regenerate Mana 10%
Sandstorm gives:
20% faster run/walk
20% faster hit recovery
+10-15 Strength
+10-15 Vitality

I thought about boots carefully and a lot of them seem even but I eventually chose Sandstorm Trek because, even though attribute wise Marrowwalks give you +2-17 more, a good set of Sandstorm Trek will give me close enough to the marrow walks and I like the 20% faster hit recovery and 10% mana regeneration really doesn't make much of a difference. I think I ultimately did concede that Marrowwalks were probably better but I heard they are kind of expensive so I'll just stick with a good set of Sandstorm Trek.

To ZonnyWonny:
Yea, I like the CTA idea. My pally can be a little short on mana sometimes. But I kinda wanted to find something to put my skill points in after the others are filled besides more Holy Shield (especially considering the level of it just from one skill point). Also, when I tried this build I thought it was kinda fun to throw my hammers and then the ones I couldn't hit with them to just smash them with a powerful Gf Charge. Pretty convenient when you get yourself in places where Blessed Hammer is tricky to use. But I like your build a lot too!