Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Pc lags?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Klæmint Vágadal, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Klæmint Vágadal

Klæmint Vágadal IncGamers Member

My Pc lags?

Well, about 3 days ago, I scanned for virus, and boom! 7 were found. I just decided to format my Pc since it had been running like hell, and then I was the only one who was having lag, I mean REALLY bad lag, could not tele or anything. Then I did a format and after that Diablo seemed to work fine...for one whole day:undecided: God damn it, the lag is back, and it seems like im the only one having it again, a IRL friend has not much lag with his old Pc (Identical to mine) and no lag at all with is new one.

My pc specs:

2000 Mhz Pentium
    256 M Ram
    40 GB HDD
    64 Ram ATI Radeon Mobility

Its about 3 years old, or more. Is it just to slow to run Diablo(Unlikley)? Whats wrong with my Pc!?!?! Its driving my insane:shocked: :rolleyes:

Oh...im on Europe in case anyone asks:wink:

2. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

Did you try reupdating your video cards after you reformatted?

Maybe the virus is still sticking around. I've heard of that happening before, even after multiple wipes.

You should do another scan, I think, or search all of your running processes on Google.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Download a voodoo wrapper.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

first update drivers
    xp doenst always know about notebook drivers
    check for driver packs for the notebook from their website

then download spybot, ad-aware, and hijackthis

if all else fails run D2VidTst.exe and set d2 to run on ddraw, runs better but doesnt look as pretty

5. DrSoup

DrSoup IncGamers Member

If you're using a system restore CD, or something like that, to install windows make sure you get rid of all the junk that starts up when the PC starts.

I have Diablo II running on a 7 year old piece of crap with 800MHz Pentium III processor, 256 MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, and basic factory installed video card. I play mostly as a summoner necromancer with a full army of about 33 including my merc and I almost never lag unless it's BNet's fault. The trick is to just be anal about keeping the PC clean. When my PC starts up I have 24 processes running, including antispyware and antivirus.

6. Klæmint Vágadal

Is there a Antivirus scanner you guys could recomend? And a place to download it(If mods cant allow this, then just PM addr to me).

I have antispyware running.

7. nickedoff

The only 'trick' to not having lag is to have a good connection.
    Everything else is common sense (scan for viruses weekly, etc.)

I use both Norton and AVG Free Edition (Maybe a bad idea with two, oh well.) as well as Ad-Aware SE, Hijack This, Spybot S&D and Killbox when things get really skanky.

Did you try to update your video drivers yet?

8. Klæmint Vágadal

Yeah, the drivers are updated.

I used Panda Antivirus 2004, is it good enough?

Well I was in a game today with a friend, and he had lag too, so I dont really know if im the only one:undecided:

9. nickedoff

I used to use this, and it never did anything good for me. I'd get rid of it if I were you.

Lag is usually an entire game thing. Unless you've got windows update running or you're playing some music in the background, you shouldn't lag alone.

10. RubenusPontius

RubenusPontius IncGamers Member

I had the weidest kind of lag today. I was doing a baalrun with a friend, and upon entering the throne of destruction, my IK barb gets cursed with IM. Well, not quite upon entering, but mid-ww of course. So I die instantly, and press esc as an instant reaction. But instead of getting back in town, esc opens the game menu. So I hit esc again to find that I am still in the throne, naked, with my body lying next to me. The friend I was playing with had no signs of lag at all, and when I typed something my message would immediately appear (usually when lagging it takes a while for messages to come up...) Really weird stuff, I had never seen anything like it happen...

11. nickedoff

This is a really old bug, I'm surprised people haven't seen it before.

12. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

13. nickedoff

14. wromaniaâ„¢

wromaniaâ„¢ IncGamers Member

yes is the right place, he posted a very useful info no like you:) or Pontius, who once again bored me. Damn im so bad :devil:

15. RequiemDeath

RequiemDeath IncGamers Member

Had that exact same thing happen to my pally a few times about a month ago... It was kinda neat actually... I could run around and attack, no one could see me, nothing could hurt me, and I couldn't do any damage at all... Very funny looking... I had to exit out of the game and come back to do anything... So far, it's only happened to my melee characters... Never happens to my sorc...

To the OP, you might want to upgrade your RAM... I was having the same problems with my computer, so knowing that I needed more than 256 MB to be able to run the other stuff that I had on my computer, I just decided to upgrade the RAM... I've not had a problem with my computer lagging with Diablo II since...

*Requiem_Death

16. Klæmint Vágadal

Well I just downloaded BitDefender 8 Free and scanned for viruses, non were found, but I think the lag is better now:smiley:

But we will see, I will test drive my new cd key today (Although that wont help the lag:rolleyes: ). AVAST is downloading as we speak. And for spyware I use Adaware Professional.

And I got rid of Panda.

17. I-bring-realm-down

I-bring-realm-down Banned

Ok, here is what you do:

Download Adaware SE
    Download Spybot S&D

Run those two. When you start diablo 2 and get into their server, remove you cd, you will not need it unless you complete and act and move to the next. That should help. Also, get norton 2006 for $20 on newegg. It is a system hog, but it works and it is cheap.

18. Klæmint Vágadal

It still lags :/ I have tried to install various virus scanners, just scanned the Pc for spyware (Found 16) and it still lags.

When I join B.net and play for about 5-10 mins, there is no lag what so ever, but after that, its horrible, especially when I turn my map on, other vise, its just like "lag waves". But could it be that my computer is too hot? It seems more warm than usual, if it is the reason, what can I do to reduce the warmth? When I did a FORMAT C:, my Pc kept shutting down, and became REALLY hot, when I let it cool down for a few minutes, it could run again, but only for a while. I got it eventually to work by putting 2 video tapes under it so the air could get better acces to the processor.

Btw; I am using a lab(p?)top.

Just a side note: The game has not always run like this, its a new problem, it has been for about 1-2 months. It used to run fine even with Winamp pounding in the back.

19. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Make sure you run Windows Update to pick up latest patches after you reinstall your machine. Most of the patches are for security, but some non-critical ones like DirectX9 will help performance too. Sometimes Windows Update will recognize your video card and install an updated driver for you; if not, you may need to update that manually.
    Install antivirus and anti-spam software of your choice as everyone has suggested, they shouldn't have any noticeable effect on your game performance.
    Since you've reinstalled your machine, make sure your diablo is still running at the correct mode. If you're running D3D, try to turn it off and see if that improves performance.
    I run diablo2 on my laptop with 1GHz CPU and 512MB memory. I don't have any lag problems, so yours should work fine too (although you have less memory).

20. Klæmint Vágadal

Problem found! ...or atleast I think...

I just made a Single Player Amazon, played to Den Of Evile and was paying attention the the fan cooler (Did not get so hot), with no lag what so ever. Fine, did not really wanna continue, so I closed and logged on to B.Net, played for like 4-5 mins and the lag starts, and the Pc gets hot. Fine, I quitted, fired up my SP Ama again, played from The Den to Burial Grounds, and guess what? It starts to lag, the the Pc get's hot like I was on B.net, so I assume this is the problem, but how do I fix it? Clean the laptop for dust?:scratch:

As I am writing this, the Pc cools down again to normal warmth.