Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Paladin Set up, rate? advice?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Pooshy, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

My Paladin Set up, rate? advice?

Okay, gear wise from the top.

This char will be for killing Uber Trist

Andy's Visage "Um"'d
    Seraph or Mara's Amulet
    CoH Achon Plate
    Sacred Targe Spirit
    Last Wish Phase Blade
    Durango Belt
    Raven Ring
    Str + LL Ring
    LoH Gloves
    Trek Boots

Now my main concern is keeping my str low so I will stock up on charms until I can wear my Armor and hope for the best hehe

Maxing
    Holy shield
    Fanat

1 Point into Zeal
    1 Point into Smite

Skill wise thats all I see so far.

I don't understand why I should max smite if I'm pure Pvm and I don't understand why I should max Zeal if I'm Pure pvm either.

Does the +damage really make that much of a difference? is it the AR I'm looking at? but if smite is always hit and I'll be casting life tap a lot (Last wish) I won't need to worry about AR that much.

2. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

Personally, I would ditch the Andariel's Visage, get Kira's Guardian (from what I see in your equipment, after Meph's -125 conviction, you have -75 resist). This is what I would wear with your wealth:

Ubers:

Kira's Guardian (UM)
    Chains of Honour
    Last Wish
    Laying of Hands
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord
    Mara's Kliedascope
    Stone of Jordon
    Stone of Jordon
    Goblin Toe
    Upgraded Herald of Zakarum (PDiamond. IMO for your build it's better than spirit)

For general pvm:

Your setup looks fairly solid for all around pvm but upgraded a Herald of Zakarum and use that.

I'm not sure what else you're bloody well interested in maxing but not many ther skills are worth maxing. Last wish doesn't do a huge amount of damage as it is, let alone with no points into zeal/sacrifice? I would recommend making a solid zealer (20 sacrifice, 20 zeal, 20 fant, 20 holy shield) the ar is going to help quite a bit and the extra damage can't hurt. Your pvm, yes, but you also want to kill things fairly fast. Who wants a boss fight everytime they meet a new pack? I sure wouldn't. Anyways, that's my two cents.

3. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Kiras. ok
    Coh. ok
    Last Wish. ok
    Laying of hands = no. Use Dracul's instead, you need the OW to counter the regen.
    Dungos. ok
    Maras. I prefer Highlords.
    2x SoJ = no way. Use either some godly rares, wisp or 2x ravens.
    Goblin Toe = use Gore Riders instead.
    Upped HoZ = Um it.

Anyway who cares about huge damage, LW CB is so large that you will knock down most monsters so fast without blinking an eyelid. Max Zeal, sacrifice, Fana and holy shield. Rest into 1 pt wonders and prereqs. When facing ubers, switch zeal to smite and just smite the boss. He will fall fast.

4. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

now since i use smite against the bosses why max zeal? is that purely for the AR bonus?

Ya i don't understand 2x sojs... I've got some nice rares I can use.

Laying of hands I prefer over dracs, I won't need dracs if I'm using gore riders

I'd rather use Seraphs over Higherlords.. it only adds +1 level, the DS and light damage and Ias aren't any helpful to my build.

Whereas the Seraph would give me a combined of 4 to defence and 2 to the rest with the added bonuses of some AR to my apparently low rating.

You guys are pretty confident in Hoz? Ugh means I gotta do some trading...

5. Maccat

Maccat IncGamers Member

Doesn't Last Wish have prevent monster heal?

Highlords for what? He needs next to no ias but I guess if you want to use Dracul's instead you need the 20% IAS from Highlords.

SoJs are just my personal preference. If he needs the resist he could easily swap them out but who doesn't like more + skills? I think he should be fine with lifetap without having to absorb. BK rings would work quite well too.

Goblin Toes were good because if he had the lowest % CB on Last Wish that he would still hit 95%. Compared to Gorerider at 85%. Not a huge deal.

No reason should he use an Um rune in a shield. PDiamond has 3 less resist I believe for less than a fraction of the cost. Save that Um rune and trade it or use it in a runeword if necessary.

6. HemeHaci

HemeHaci IncGamers Member

Prevent monster heal doesnt work on them. We tried it but their hp fulls in no time lol

Of course herald of zakarum is much better than spirit :grin:

And dont bother yourself much with meph's conviction, just put one oint in salvation and open it instead of fanaticism when facing mephisto, alone of course :grin:

Use draculs as gloves since you will really need life tap, I am %90 confident there since I did many uber tours the only chance for you to survive is life tap...

7. HemeHaci

HemeHaci IncGamers Member

uhm I forgot to add;
    A nice exile would also work instead of HoZ since a lot defence will save your *** :grin:

My friends smiter had like 40k defence, with HoZ.. (I cant think of exile there)

8. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

well I don't need dracs, my LW pb casts life tap enough for comfort.

9. Sgraffite

Sgraffite IncGamers Member

Dracs will prevent them from healing if you hit them with open wounds fast enough as it sets their regeneration rate to be negative.

10. Simply Josh

Simply Josh IncGamers Member

Look's like a pretty nice setup to me. :D

11. Bladewind

Remember:

Prevent Monster Heal: Does not work on Ubers and bosses.
    Open Wounds: Will work on Ubers and Bosses. Plus it makes them lose some life as well. That is the reason why we use Draculs.

As for the CB question, no need to max it. 50% is usually sufficient.

+ Skills is overrated. What kills uber is your CB, not 6k smite damage. Also LoH does not work if you smite bosses. LoH Ed to demons only works if you zeal the demons, so i rather take open wounds of the draculs. Another small bonus is that the Dracul's OW actually works on PI as well !

The reason why we max Zeal and Sacrifice is for general PvM. 1 pt Smite with enough CB can kill ubers easily because Smite cannot be blocked, always hits the target and let's you focus on the boss itself.

Zeal on the other hand is great for crowd control, but it needs alot of AR to actually hit ubers and on top of that, it can be blocked and Ubers already have 50+% chance to block. Also Zeal will naturally hit multiple target and thus if you get swarmed by those Pit Lords, you might not hit the Ubers at all !

Last thing, stack the resist plus prebuff with Fade, and if you can get it, use Wisp for lit absorb. By far the most devastating attacks in Uber trist is Lightning, followed by Fire. And of course the lag. ;)

12. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

You got the order wrong. It's lag > lightning > fire. I did trist a few times, with both crappy and good gear, and the only times which I died are:
    Zeal with life-tap wand (pure stupidity)
    Lag

13. Bladewind

Oh yeah, its always lag that kills. :tongue:

I hate the monster spawn lag.

14. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

okay, keep dracs
    but then what boots?
    no need for gores or goblin toes.
    Treks for the stats?

"Zeal on the other hand is great for crowd control, but it needs alot of AR to actually hit ubers and on top of that, it can be blocked and Ubers already have 50+% chance to block. Also Zeal will naturally hit multiple target and thus if you get swarmed by those Pit Lords, you might not hit the Ubers at all !"

But i don't use zeal against ubers you just said. Shouldn't Fanat and my gear give me enough AR vs general PvM?

15. Bladewind

Fana will help with AR. Anyway LW is itd. :)

I rather still use Gores for the extra chance of open wounds. :laugh:

16. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

okay
    So I don't need to max zeal because fanat should give me enough AR vs general pvm AND lastwish has ITD. I won't need AR vs the ubers because I don't zeal them, I smite them.

Boots are a safety call with gores

Now.

Skills
    Max Holy Shield (for defence, duration)
    Max Fanat (For the damage and ar)
    1 Point Zeal (because the extra AR and damage isn't required)
    1 Point smite (because thats all thats needed)

Should i put points into Defiance?
    Maybe max Conviction + fill res of the points into vengence?

17. Bladewind

I will still max Zeal and Sacrifice. Mainly because a 1 pt smiter is a Zealot. Or alternatively you max Smite then Defiance while using 1 pt for zeal. Thus making your char a Smiter.

Nothing wrong with these builds, just that in case if you wanna do PvP, you do not need to make another whole char for this.

18. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

Now the Helm i'm questioning. Kira's for sure? Um? Is that overkill at all?

19. Bladewind

Can never have too much resist in Uber-trist. :thumbsup:

If you can get your resists up to the 70s while still under meph conviction WITHOUT salvation, you are pretty much safe to use fana and smite the dude dead. Most people have to rely on Salvation and fade to cover their resists from going negative when under his aura !

20. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

Okay I'm going to look at res now
    (for hard expensive items I'm just taking lowest)
    Perfect Um'd Kiras 70+15 = 85 (can't seem to find easily)
    Chain of honor =65
    Last Wish Fade Buff= 56
    Maras =20
    Hoz + P diamond = 69

Thats 295
    This isn't including any charms (May have 12 on my anni) but that should be enough correct?
    -100 for hell
    -125 for conviction
    =70

So without looking at charms, I should be able to handle him right?