Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My paladin needs your help(ok... I need it)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Flayed One, May 15, 2008.

1. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

My paladin needs your help(ok... I need it)

My zealot just killed NM baal advancing to hell dificulty. His skill layout is as follows:

20 Sacrafice
    20 Zeal
    20 Fanaticism
    7 Holy Shield(enough to get 300 secs duration with HoZ, because I don't like recasting often:tongue:)

Equipment:
    Razor's Edge
    Twitchthroe
    Sigons helm and gloves
    Gore Riders
    String of Ears
    Ravenfrost
    Dual leech/all res/lightning res/AR/FCR ring
    HoZ w/ PDiamond
    magical amulet - 61 life/13% res all

My rune wealth:
    1 Mal
    3 Um
    1 Pul
    1 Lem
    multiples of lower runes

I have a dillema. At level 76 I wil be able to equip Draculs Grasp that will give me enough strength to use Guillames Face(probably socketed w/ Um), so I'll drop the sigons for them, but that also means I'll have to decide on the rest of my gear - endgame weapon and armor. Here are my options:
    1. Stick to Razors Edge shaeling it to keep 4 frame zeal and make myself gloom armor.
    2. Upgrade my Butchers Pupil(185%ed), shael it and make myself a Trechery runeword to get 4 frame zeal and fade.
    3. Make myself eOath BA, and either socket Guillames Face with 15% jewel or use Treachery as an armor.

I'm leaning towards the last option with Treachery armor letting me socket Guillames with Um. What do you think?

I also can't decide what to do with my remaining skill points. I could either put them into Vengeance to get a better PI solution, or in charge to get a better IM solution(I find it great for attacking OKs before they get a chance to cast IM) or to put them in both skills. Maybe I should also get 1 point in Conviction?

I know I'll be able to finish the game comfortably with any of these setups, but I'd like to know your oppinions on them anyway:wink:

2. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

Re: My paladin needs your help(ok... I need it)

eOathBA and treachery is GG. put one point in vengeance ( i never did). my tactic for imunes is OW. they will die now or later.
    eOathBA, duress, gores and some ias helm ( Rockstopper with 15 ias jool?)

3. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

I'd go with number 3, because to me it's the most interesting. I've never made an Oath, so that's why it's interesting.

1. There's a lot better than Razor's, and I'd personally prefer other things to gloom.
    2. Butcher's is nice, but to me, it's not worth upgrading. There's a lot better weapons.
    3. Never used an eOath, so that sounds the most useful for me.

I wouldn't use an Um in an armour anymore. If you get a good scintillating jewel, it'll have less use than Um's. Um's have a large variety, whereas jewels are specific.

Then again, to me, if I can finish it comfortably, I don't think it matters overly (my thoughts.) I would've liked to make an Oath though.

4. Flayed One

I'm gonna go with Oath then. You guys brought up an interesting point - maybe it's really better to use duress+leet helm instead of some armor+guillames... I could put this to use:
    Pain Brow
    Coronet
    Defense: 30
    Durability: 66 of 90
    Required Level: 67
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0x541a27c0
    +25 to Strength
    +37 to Life
    +96 to Attack Rating
    All Resistances +10
    6% Mana stolen per hit
    +2 to Paladin Skill Levels
    :wink2:

Damn... this 25 Strength would have helped me a lot earlier.
    Thank's guys:smiley:

Drystan, could you please elaborate a bit on the "there is a lot better weapons then Razors and Butchers"? I mean, what weapons do you consider better?

5. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Any weapon with ctc Static is pretty GG (Crescent Moon being the easiest to get). Then again I haven't played a Pally with most of the new runewords (Yay for Schaefers + lots of ias gear for the 4fpa).

Razors and Butchers are both nice because of DS and whatever else they have but I like your 3rd setup the most right now. I mean things like Grief and Fort would be sexy, but as you don't seem to have some Lo's sitting around :) I think that setup will work fine.

What are your resists at right now?

Do you have 1 point in all the useful aura's (Vigor, Redemption, Salv)? If so I'd say go with more in Holy Shield. Charge and Vengeance only need 1 point each from my experience.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

For PI, most of them are undeads. Just put one point in Sanctuary and use it with zeal. Probably better option than 1pt conviction + C Vengeance. Or you can use Azurewrath and spare 4+ skill points.

I went all the Defence way with my pure zealot (=Holy Shield maxed+Defiance leftover)

7. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

Drystan, could you please elaborate a bit on the "there is a lot better weapons then Razors and Butchers"? I mean, what weapons do you consider better?

A good example would be Oath :p

I'm gonna go with Oath then. You guys brought up an interesting point - maybe it's really better to use duress+leet helm instead of some armor+guillames...

Is there a reason why not duress+guillaume's? Using two setups (treachery+guillaume OR duress+random helm) your CB will be way below the cap. With Duress/Guillaume/Gore's, I don't even know if you'll hit the limit with that, but I think it's a pretty good combo.

For PI's, I used Gimmershed. It's not the fastest, but at a 0 point investment, it's pretty cost effective. I actually haven't tried using Sanctuary. It seems like a pretty powerful alternative

8. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Since nobody mentioned about it...

Why not use Highlord's Wrath?
    It has IAS and DS, good for any zealot. :smiley:

Given the set-up suggested, I would add that you use some Fine/Steel GC's.
    I find it frustrating that my swings often doesn't hit.

But I prefer ahcw's advice on using Crescent Moon PB instead, if you don't have Stormlash.
    It has ctc Static, Ignores Defense, and some Lightning damage from Chain Lightning.
    If you don't find it to your liking, you can always make a Tesladin. :grin:

Just my 2 cents.

--maxgerin

9. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Better weapons? Most of the time it's character/build specific. Butcher's is an awesome item, and I love it, but I don't think it's an end-game option for me.
    Heaven's Light is one I used over it for a Paladin due to the 2 sockets, CB, -%target defense and skills. That was for a frostzealot.
    Ethereal Edge was on my FuryWolf, although that was more situation specific since wolves don't block well.
    Excecutioner's Justice, again situation/build specific. Wolfbarb.
    Then the eOath, Stormlash, Crescent Moon. I haven't played in ages, I can't remember all the weapons. But basically, for many of my characters, Butcher's was a levelling item (a pretty damn good one!), but was eventually swapped out for a better suited weapon.

10. Flayed One

Thanks for your replies guys.:smiley:

@ahcw - well... I could make a "crescent moon". That's actually something I didn't think of. My resists are between 29%(lightning) and 6%(fire), so I need to raise them a little. I do have one point in all the usefull one-point wonders.

@Hrus - sanctuary is a great idea. Putting points into HS seems like a bit of a waste to me. I won't get high defense anyway, so I guess I'd rather concentrate on increasing my killing speed.

@NeoKnuckles - The only reason is that I need resists and IAS, so if I used Duress+Guillames I'd only get resists from Duress which aren't enough. THe other thing is that I probably won't need that much CB anyway with high damage weapon like Oath, right?

@maxgerin - I'd love to use Highlords:wink2: but unfortunatly I haven't found one yet. I'm probably gonna make CM anyway for later use, but the same goes for Gloom and some other stuff. You mean that you'd prefer CM to Oath?

@Drystan - I see. Thanks.

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You can't increase your killing speed with skillpoints after maxing Zeal+Sacrifice+Fanaticism.
    And if you talking about secondary attack - Vengeance, you will do much higher damage using 1pt Conviction+Zeal+Gimmershred unless you invest large number of points there (in Vengeance and Conviction).

And with HoZ and some better armor, your defence will be quite high. You will not have Twitchthroe forever.

12. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Even I am a bit shocked, but I would say that I'm more likely to choose CM over Oath.
    I hate that I'll be limited to Physical Damage with Oath.

I'll make an Oath one of these days and try it out vis-a-vis CM to report something more "technical". :grin:

--maxgerin

13. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Oath will look nicer on the LCS but CM will kill faster in most cases. If you are surrounded by LI's it'll slow down a little but a wpn switch of Razor will fix that if it becomes unbearable.

As far as your resists, Treachery will completely fix that. One note though is that if you do go with Treachery your defense will never be amazing so maxing Holy Shield won't yield much. Sadly though there isn't much left for points. It's pretty much a toss up between Vengeance and Holy Shield and neither will give you a very high return. Like Hrus has mentioned there are other ways to deal with PI's (if you have a good wpn switch) so my vote is still Holy Shield in case you change up your gear later on after finding new items. Either way you go though your pally will be fine :).

14. Jaelen

Jaelen IncGamers Member

If you were going to max one skill for PIs, which would be better-

Max Conviction+Gimmershred or Max Vengeance+Oath?

15. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

The best choice is to leave zeal at 1pt, since additional points give pathetic bonus, and max both FoH and HB :grin:

I'm currently in act2 Hell with such a build. He's wielding Schaefer's/Gerke's on one switch and Hand of the Blessed Light/HoZ on the other :cool: Redeemer is also well suited for this build.

I have found Stormlash only recently and my character is still too low (lvl80) to use it. Heaven's Light is another amazing all-around weapon.