Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My paladin is a tomb raider

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fluffballer, May 28, 2005.

1. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

My paladin is a tomb raider

It's not real fan fiction, so I figured this was as good a place as any to put it. :)

He declared "I will cleanse this wilderness" and started his crusade against all that was evil in the world. He was on the side of good. So when he saw the mangled body of a rogue, it was natural for him to rush over and see if anything could be done. As he checked her pulse, a single gold coin slipped out of her pocket. The temptation was too great. He left her body to be devoured by demons and went on his merry way, one gold piece richer.

"This holy place has been defiled!" he growled to himself in the burial grounds. He marched into the crypt and smiled. An undefiled grave. There WAS something evil had not yet befouled. He then took his iron clad foot and stomped through the gravestone. He dug in, scattering bones around the room in unbridled averice, joyfully desecrating first one grave, then many. Gold was to be found!

It didn't stop there. At every oppurtunity he rifled through sarcophagi, caskets... he had no boundaries. Nihlatak asked my paladin if he'd come to loot the bodies of the fallen soldiers. My paladin didn't say a word, but his crazed grin said more than enough. Yes, he was there for that reason, and yes, he did.

What a bizarre choice by Blizzard to make grave robbing the main source of gold through the early game, no?

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Nice story, very nice :clap:

Now, write me a script with the Assassin :D

3. ebyworx

ebyworx IncGamers Member

she is hot, wears bondage gear, and sounds sexy when she gets hit... I like her :clap:

4. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Absolutely brilliant :clap:

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I admit that I sometimes have a bad conscience if I open tombs with my pally :)

6. Dawnmaster

This reminds me off that thread where there was a discussion whether or not we are the good guys in the game.

They took the necromancer as bad example for us, raising the fallen of the enemey to fight the enemy (I think he gave a more detailed example as to where a maggot spawns eggs and you kill her, only to raise her on your side and then the 'mother' starts killing her own children under your command)

It is a strange way of justification we have to archieve our goals.

7. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

I never saw anything "bad" about the necromancer. He manipulates dead demons in the same way a cop uses a bad guy as a bullet shield in a Woo movie. Demon's don't have rights.

That said, all of the character classes are definitely in it for their own profit as demonstrated by my paladin, but you can't deny they're risking their lives to save a lot of people. You could actually compare the D2 heros to Laura Croft. Not a moral powerhouse, but she does the right thing when it counts. ;)

8. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

Try grave digging in Fallout 2. That really kills your karma. But from the D2 perspective look at find Item, and looting in HC.

9. Dawnmaster

"Demon's don't have rights."

Hm, I'll give you a fine example here:
    if you are born in a country in slaverny, does that automatically count that you have no civilized rights in any other country?
    or if you're born in a country and they use you as 'kindsoldat' (where they manipulate and train children to be soldiers) are you guilty when your army is sent out and you kill an innocent civilian (they have to murder their own family once they're enlisted!)

And the part about LARA CROFT (not Laura, shame on you :eek: )
    She does have Moral Rights, she tries to do the good thing. If you look closely to both the games and the movies, you don't always have to kill every monster or person you meet, you can avoid them sometimes.
    In a certain part of Tombraider 2: the Dagger of Xian, more specifically, the Barkhang Monastery, you can kill everything you meet, the monsters, the bad guys and the monks. But the Monks leave you alone and even help you if you don't shoot at them.

As for the part where the line between us being good or bad is rather too thin to understand, I present you with this thread:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=287260
    I may have started with the wrong morals and ethics when replying to that thread, but in the end I think my point of view lies closer to the truth.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Even it was like that, what is a demon and who tells us who is a demon ? In our case we are relying on the game telling it us. It might as well be a fake from Tyrael. In any case, they are enemies :)

Everybody is just doing what he thinks it's the right way. IMO a paladin is meant to be a moral powerhouse. In his opinion those things are right with match with his moral standards and other things are inacceptable, even if they might lead to a greater good, as that would produce evil as well, and he lives to completely exterminate evil. Of course, a paladin might have different ideas of what's evil than you, me or Lara Croft :lol:

11. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Well in D2 a probable definition of a demon is anything that moves when u step outside town, since its all out there with a single purpose - to devour your sorry flesh.

12. Logan

Logan IncGamers Member

Very nice story dude :)

13. Seaskye

Seaskye IncGamers Member

I like the story as well.
    Now does anyone remember an article I read once about D2 written from the monsters point of view specifically the Boss Monster. I remember parts of Mephisto talking about people coming in and killing all his guests without any provication... was an interesting read. Was set up like a news report.

Seaskye.