Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My 'Owna-din' is almost done (The_Dreamer)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Wmeredith, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Wmeredith

Wmeredith Diabloii.Net Member

My 'Owna-din' is almost done (The_Dreamer)

**Disclaimer: subtle ‘tooting-my-own-horn’ ahead, as well as asking for free advice…

In the last few months, since the new RW’s have some out, I have sacrificed several characters worth of gear to make two builds. One is my Uzi-zon, but that’s for another post, this one I’m tentatively calling my 'Own-adin', because I’m like that. :) It’s almost strictly pvm, but I’m thinking about taking him into the pvp area a bit, nothing serious.

I’ve got a pretty wicked setup going here:

The_Dreamer
    (USEast, *the_salmon)
    Lvl 86 Pally

Skills:
    Max Light Resist
    Max Holy Shield
    Max Salvation
    5 Zeal
    Max Conviction

Stats:
    ~1300 life
    75 / 75 / 75 (85 possible here) / 75 res. In hell
    252-10k Damage
    ~12000 Defense (Holy Shield)
    ~6500 Attack Rating (Enchant pre-buff)
    ~12000 Attack Rating (Blessed aim, when my merc’s alive)

Gear:
    Dream helm and Shield (both avg. Rolls)
    Oath Eth Scourge (26-499 dam)
    Chains of Honor Dusk Shroud
    Metalgrid (33 res.)
    Rare Ring: 98ar / 7ll / 6ml / 8str / 8dex
    Ravenfrost (16 / 210)
    +1 Marrows (to exploit the Oath bug-cheese, of course)
    Dungo’s Belt (14dr)
    Souldrainer (7 / 6)

This is definitely the tastiest Pally I’ve ever made. I’ve been playing Diablo for about 4 years, so that’s saying quite a bit, imho. As always, though, I’m not yet satisfied:

Questions:

1) I have a crap roll (342, lol) Grief PB, should I switch my Oath out for this to get more consistent physical damage? (I would be giving up about 1000 Bone Spirit damage, and I would look like everyone else, but I would also free up my boots for Gores or Eth Treks.)

2) Should I switch out my Chains armor for something else? I have Stone, Duress, and Fortitude at my disposal. I was leaning toward Stone.

3) Is there something I’m missing that I can do about my ~6500 AR. I hate depending on my merc to hit things.

4) Are there any cool/ obvious options I’m missing with my character here?

Any advice is appreciated, or just taking the time look is too.

2. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob Diabloii.Net Member

I'm assuming this is for PvM, because 6500 AR in PvP is a joke.

To increase your AR:

1. You can put skillpoints into Blessed Aim for the passive boost.

2. You carry a few "steel" GCs (120+ AR).

3. Use the amulet/ring or amulet/ring/ring from the Angelic set.

4. Pump dex, which is also good for defense and blocking.

3. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

actually its called a dreamadin

check oh I dont know about the last three PAGES on the same topic.. and yup there is a guide already done... it just waiting on someone to be responsible and post it.

4. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

5. Decebal

Decebal Diabloii.Net Member

@ Wmeredith - What helm and shield did you use when making the runeword Dream? Just curious! :p

/Dec

6. Wmeredith

Ya, I know, I just made one (and I named it The_Dreamer)...
    ]
    Sorry to step on your toes, or waste your time, or whatever the problem is here...
    Thanks for pointing me to a thread that I wrote. That's brilliant. Didn't know I'd done that, thank god for you, man.

Decebel: I think it was a Royal shield. Had a bout ~35 resists on it before I made the 'Dream'. The helm is a bone visage.

7. Wurmer

Wurmer Diabloii.Net Member

As AR is concerned wouldn't worry too much. Honestly for PVM 6500 is enough in most case. Besisde what was said, if you really feel you need more AR, you can use a Demond Limb. At the level the charges are, the enchantement will last around 11 minutes. If prebuffing bothers you, simply use Lavagout gloves, the level of enchantement is not as high but you get a chance to caste every so often and you gain a nice boots of AR as well

For Weapons, I would keep my scrouge on switch for lighting immune. Use your grief as main weapon. Even a crappy roll makes a good weapon. Even if your using conviction, in hell certain types of monsters have an immunity that cannot be broken. Also, it's easy to get 4 fpz zeal with a phase blade since it only requires a total of 75 % ias.

Armour wise, I would go with Fortitude. Why not take advantage of physical damage on top of elemental damage. As for as I am concerned, more sources of damage the better.

8. KillJoyBob

I needed a good laugh, thanks. :D

9. Sir SDG

Sir SDG Banned

point being if you would have READ your own thread as well as the other 5+ in circulation about this build your questions would be answered but instead you start YET ANOTHER Dreamadin tread... even though you already HAD one you STARTED??????

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=326360
    your thread WITH answers....

this thread with a few answers.
    http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=318778

the guide Pougee did on the SAME build. "WOW MOMMY A DREAMADIN"

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=318235
    and a LOT on weapons...

If you would have stopped at trying to be a jackass and actually Read the threads I posted earlier you wouldnt look so damn stupid now...

10. Euro-Crash

Euro-Crash Diabloii.Net Member

Wise men don't argue with fools. From a distance it is difficult to tell who is who.

11. KillJoyBob

You're really being abusive and abrasive in this whole thread. Calm down please.

12. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony Diabloii.Net Member

Wmeredith, about AR:
    what's the problem with chance-to-hit, if you use a level 20 Conviction? Doesn't it give -90% to enemy defense? This makes your 6500 even in PvP far from joke. Even a 20k-def ironbarb will have only 2k against you, which means a veryy good chance-to-hit.

13. KillJoyBob

Unfortunately, that's not how conviction works against other players. Imagine that a Barb has 220% enhanced damage from Iron Skin and another 290% enhanced defense from shout. That makes 510% total enhanced defense. Conviction will reduce that to 420% enhanced defense (510 - 90 = 420). So the Barb's defesne is lowered by ~20% only, and not 90%.

14. Wmeredith

Yeah, I knew the Conviction was nerfed pvp. Now that I'm thinking more about it though, I think the Passive Damage on my Holy Shock aura is bm, isn't it? (This is really the first time I'm caring about pvp or attempting it, at all, since I've been playing this game.)

I'm thinking of starting over and making a straight-up fanatic zealot, but that's so boring. (A fanatic Zealot was the first character I ever made in D2... 4 years ago.) I should be getting an angelic set tonight, so I'll play around with that a bit to see if I can shore up my AR, just for pvp situations. 12000+ along with my convict aura means I just own in pvm already. That's with my blessed aim merc though. Without him, and just going prebuff with my Dlimb, I end up with the ~6500 we've been talking about.

I finally went with stone sup wyrmhide on my merc and Duress wire fleece on myself. I'm switching them out some to see whitch one I like better. I've forgone the Fortitude because it is so sweet on my zon I can't give it up. And I'm pretty satisfied with my damage output and need the resists form the other two more than I need damage.

Thanks for all the advice and comments :) . I may post back here with my final setup.

15. aznbboi16

aznbboi16 Diabloii.Net Member

For pvp, screw physical dmg. You need speed. Setup for pvm is fine.

For pvp though, switch out your metalgrid and rare ring for angelics.
    Get some bloodfists or 20ias gloves.
    Depending on your gloves, use a 6 socket phase blade with the following:

Bloodfists or 10ias gloves:
    4 shaels/2 eths or 3 shaels/1x ias/ar jewel/2 eths
    Substitute lightning facets for eths if you choose for a more damage oriented route.

20ias gloves:
    3 shaels/3 eths
    Substitute eths for light facets again as you choose.

I would however suggest at least one eth in your phase blade since that will help with your low ar.
    This setup will give you a 4fpa zeal without fanatacism. Dreamadins should rely mostly on light damage. Speed is crucial here, since you have very little physical damage boosting modifiers.
    If people stack and absorb you to a point that you barely scratch them, have a physical damage charge switch such as an ebotd zerk or grief (preferably zerk). Or you can have a smite switch with a grief pb and one point in fanatacism which can be used for charging as well. <- this is probably your best option, as it gives you a itd/itb attack that will still hurt at the cost of a couple skill points.

16. Hoopiness

Hoopiness Diabloii.Net Member

Classic..... :D

17. Wmeredith

Ya, I'll have to remember that. Not sure wether I'm the wise man or the fool here, but I like the message.

18. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

Read your E-mail. Trolling and Flamming will not be tolerated!

19. bob the builder

bob the builder Banned

ok but posting the SAME stuff thats in 10 other threads... yea thats a great idea... its not like anyone should actually LOOK for the info before making another thread when theres three on the front page discussing the same thing...

:thumbsup: way to go on the ban BTW... thats almost at effective as the search button...