Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Speedwrath, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Speedwrath

Speedwrath Banned

My Newbie Questions

Hello, I've been playing for quite a while now, but I still am unsure about some stuff, which I always wonder about when playing, and I hope you guys can answer them for me please. Sorry for posting them all at once like this, but here they go:

1. If I'm in the Secret Cow Level, and someone that is NOT in my party kills the Cow King, can I still open the Secret Cow Level?

2. In screenshots, I usually see white text around the screen - things like FPS and other stuff. How do I make it so that I can see mine?

3. How do I type in colour?

4. Does 100% magic find mean I'll always find magic (blue) items?

5. How does resistance in PvP work? I have 75% cold resistance but this Druid saying he does 3700 damage with his Hurricane STILL manages to 1-hit me.

6. How come ALL (every single one) of my attacks miss (I use an assassin) when I try to claw them, and they ALWAYS hit me? I have 270 dexterity. Is that not enough?

7. When an item says "7 Damage Reduction" or something similar, does that mean damage is reduced by 7%, or is there something special about it? I've seen items in hell with 14 damage reduction. Is that supposed to be good?

8. Lastly, is there a place where I can see the that commands in the game? I try typing /help TOPIC in the game, but it doesn't work, so if anyone could direct me to a place (if there is one) where I can see the commands I would be very grateful.

I'm probably forgetting some things, but this is all I can think of right now. Please answer if you can.

2. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

If you are in the cow level (need not be partied) while someone who hasn't yet killed the king for "quest" kills the king, then you will also get the "quest" and not be able to open the portal anymore.
    Type "/fps" (without the quotes). For more information, use "/framerate".
    In game, there is no legal way to do this. In your character profile in the chat channels, you can use special character codes to add color to your text
    No. It means an item will be twice as likely to be magical than if you were wearing 0% mf. This also increases the chances of getting rare, set, and unique items, though each of those types are governed by diminishing return formulae:
    Resistance works the same in PvP as it does in PvM, with the exception that the player attacking you may be using gear which gives -% to target resistances. This mod can be found on, for example, Rainbow Facet jewels and Griffon's Eye diadem.
    Your attack rating is probably low. A very rough rule of thumb is that you need as much attack rating as the target has defense in order to have a reasonable chance to hit. Here is the actual formula:
    It's not really that great, but it helps a bit. If you have damage reduced by 7 and you get hit for 40 damage, you will take 33 damage. Damage reduced by a % is usually much more useful.
    Strategy Compendium to the rescue again:
    I've referenced a guide many times here, it's the excellent "Facts and Formulae Archive" put together by Dracoy & co. It can be found here

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

(*phew*)

3. Speedwrath

Speedwrath Banned

OMG! There's a /nopickup command!!!11!1!1oneone

Thank you for making runs for me so much easier! :D No more picking up those pesky 8-space worthless items. ^_^

And thank you for answering all my questions. I really appretiate it. :D

And thanks for the welcome. :)

4. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Not alone, but you can actually build your defensive gear around it. 'of Life Everlasting' (magical items only) can be found on amulets and circlets and it goes all the way up to 25. You can make a 4-socketed armor with 4 Sol runes (each rune has damage reduced by 7) to go with a high-end pair of such items.
    The circlet can even be socketed with 1-2 Sol runes.

You can easily get a total of about 75 damage reduced. Very few enemies in NM can even scratch you with their physical damage, and the hell monsters will hurt far less than normally. Of course, they also have elemental damage...