Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My new weekly thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, Apr 10, 2005.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

My new weekly thread

As some of you know I play football and struggle with my weight and general fitness greatly.

For the past week and a half I have been striving to get in better shape and lose fat.

I decided to help myself stay responsible I'll start posting my workouts and weight.

Last week I walk/jogged around a quarter mile track for about 45 minutes and 3 miles on 3 seperate days.

My weight is 308.5 pounds.

I think all of us could stand to be in better shape so if anyone wants to start doing the same as me post your trials and tribulations here!

My goals are to get down to about 220 and be able to do a 6 minute mile and a 20 minute 3 mile.

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

I am around 220, so when you get there i'll join you.

Way to go man!

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Nice thread idea BigD. Hopefully it can help all of us stay accountable on our workouts.

Friday I ran 5.5 miles (don't recall the time) and Saturday I ran 3.92 miles (so says maps.yahoo.com) at a 7:38/mile pace. My goal is to run a 5K in under 20 minutes or a 10K in under 45 minutes.

4. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Whoa. Reading this thread makes me feel like I need to work on my endurance, really badly. After ONE mile at ~7-8 minutes I'm dead. And I'm fairly small-framed (110 lbs :() which should theoretically make it easier for me to be running.

And so BigD, you shouldn't be worrying quite so much about your general fitness; I would like to compliment you on your progress thus far. Good luck reaching your goal!

My goal is to make it UP to 130 and be able to do a 6-minute mile. :drool:

5. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

BigD - how tall are you?

i need to shed some pounds too - im 255 :(

but i do track and field twice a week - and they make me run, which is good.
    during the summer i was planning on running, but then i realized how hot it realy was. So im probably gonna have to use some sunscrean, and take a good amount of water with me.

6. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

how much is one pound compared to kilograms?

7. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

2.2 lbs = 1kg

8. AeroJonesy

Only if endurance is your goal. The most important thing about exercising is doing it, regardless of how fast you can run or any other numbers people associate with exercising. Well, I suppose time is important.

I started running in June and could go about as far as you. One mile in 8 minutes and I was kaput.

9. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Hurrah! There is hope for me yet.

How often did you have to run to get from that to where you are now?

10. AeroJonesy

I ran about 3-4 miles 6 days a week during the summer. And then I didn't run so much when school started at the end of September. On Thanksgiving I ran in a 10K race and finished with a time of 45:40. At my peak, I could probably have done it in under 45 minutes.

It's all about the consistency. I didn't even really time myself most running days. I just tried to push myself as hard as I could. Mostly I took it up because I wanted something I could do outdoors even when no one else was around.

My best advice as far as getting the consistency goes is this: There will be days when you don't feel like running, but you know you should, and you have no excuse not to. Just put on your running clothes anyway and start. You'll be enjoying yourself in no time.

11. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

im 5'10", and about 110-115 lbs.

i play tennis every weekday for school, played basketball in the winter and soccer in the spring, so i get a good work out everyday. im also in 8th grade, so we still have physical ed and we run everyday, and play sports.

my mile is around 7 min.

12. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

about a month ago i started unloading trucks at ups. thats enough workout for me. i think ive lost about 10 pounds.

13. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

O_O

110 lbs is only fairly small?!?

Some advice for everyone. Don't try to do it alone. Its much easier and more enjoyable to work out with a friend. You can motivate each other on the sucky days.

Garbad

14. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I'm hovering around 230 lbs. and am 6'3". I could stand to loose around 20-30 lbs so I began running and, as some here know, I've taken up raquet ball. This was helping me a great deal and I looked forward to each game until I started having pain in the knees. I spoke to the doctor and was told my knee sockets are worn out. He said I had to stop doing high impact exercises like running and raquet ball. :(

How much does that suck?

Anyway, I guess I have to wait until the pool warms up a tad more and get back into swimming.

15. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

it sucks the most in the that sucks scale, so it sucks 10

16. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

>_O genetics.

Mind you I'm only 5'5".

Do I win the skinny guy award?

17. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

6'4 160lb ;)

My work keeps me in as good a shape as i need to be in.

18. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

I had a similar problem where the doctor told me to lay off running for a while. I took up road cycling. Low impact, and high endurance.

Right now I'm waiting until tomorrow when I can go to the doctor and find out why my foot is hurting. When that is sorted out I need to get back into running and sprinting so I can be ready for UPA College Sectionals and Regionals.

19. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I'm 6'4".

It may sound like I'm really badly out of shape, but I'm not so much. My BMI while a little high is between 29 and 32 (I think that puts me in the overweight but maybe obese category). I'm just now wanting to switch to cardiovascular since I'm done with football.

At my peak in football (right before the season started in the middle of summer work outs) I was running a 4.9-5.1 40 yard sprint could squat nearly 600 pounds and bench a touch over 300 pounds.

The reason this I just decided to do this was to create some accountability for myself and I watched "Super Size Me". If you haven't seen it go rent it. It made me feel like shoot to be part of the obesity trend in America.

So instead of everyone posting their stats anyone willing to take up the challenge of getting in shape with me?

Just a moment ago I confered with a friend and we are going to both alternate push-ups and sit-ups every night until school is out and see who can get more.

20. AeroJonesy

I'll take up the challenge, although at the moment, I think we have different goals in mind.