Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My New Spear Barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tejadia, May 7, 2008.

1. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

My New Spear Barb

So I'm starting from scratch and I'm actually going a lot better than I thought I would've been with my Spear Barb (probably cause I found a Cathan's ring in A2, big help). My original intent was to do whirlwind, but the synergies have really got me reconsidering into maybe a frenzy or concentrate build. Any opinions on what would be better? Also, do you guys think I should go with A2 Defiance or A2 Holy Freeze? I'm leaning more toward holy freeze, but second opinions to a newbie would be great.

Thanks,
    Tej

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: My New Spear Barb

Spears are typically too slow for you to meet the last hit check on Whirlwind. Frenzy would gear towards dual wielders. Concentrate is a possibility. You could also do a War Cry Berserker. There's a guide on that in the stickies. No matter how you look at it, spear Barbarians are quite uncommon. Good luck!

Holy Freeze is quite nice for builds that don't require corpses. The slow is invaluable. You already have Shout, but if you really want to stack defense, Defiance isn't half bad.

EDIT: Yes. That's why Concentrate is on my top ten list of most overrated skills of all time. *prepares to get flamed* Anyway, if you go for War Cry/Berserk, a point in Leap Attack and Whirlwind will be useful for repositioning yourself.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  3. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

Frenzy can't be done by spear barbs, since it's a dual wield skill. Concentrate is very viable in that it is safe, but many people on the forum comment that his progress will slow to a crawl in hell, since you will only engage and dispatch your opponents one on one.

I would follow Nagisa's advice and go for the Berserker/Warcry combo. If you do, I wouldn't go for the defiance merc, since your main attack skill automatically lowers your defense to 0. Holy Freeze is always helpful, but the WarCry will pretty much stop your opponents advancing anyways. Simply try some out. Remember, if you hire another merc, his level is close to yours, so if you don't like one, go for another.

4. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

as mentioned frenzy wouldnt work with spear as it takes 2 weapons however you could do frenzy and get close to spears with any sort of javalin. other than that not much help as I know didle about barbs

5. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

If it's SC, I would use a might merc, spears can get massive base damages, and the might will just make it even better, because your kill speed will be a little slow in hell. If it's HC, I'd get holy freeze though. Defiance won't help you much because your base defense will be woeful without a shield, so it might help out your merc a little, but wouldn't be much use to you (maybe with max shout it could have a slight benefit) but I don't think it will lessen your chances of getting hit by any significant amount.

I'm not sure, but aren't spears good for WW? Most have range 6 so you'd hit everything on the screen basically. I know they're a bit slow, but wouldn't you do more overall damage because you hit more monsters?

6. NagisaFurukawa

Right. Forgot about the might merc.

Spears are usually range 5. The problem is that you need to get 40-80 WIAS to attain the most hitchecks for WW. It's *possible*, but the lack of runewords for spears is definitely a problem. The only non-magic/rares I'd give a chance at being usable are Arioc's Needle (Shael) and Hone Sundan (3x Shael). Even then, you would need to upgrade Hone Sundan for it to do any kind of damage.

EDIT: Not everyone has an ethereal Cruel/Masters War Pike of Quickness/Lamprey/Fast Repair with 2 Shael runes in it. =P. Must. stop. drooling.

EDIT 2: Good lord. That would hit nearly 1500 max.

7. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

Ah, don't know why I said frenzy... I meant berserk in my first post. So it looks like berserk is my best bet here, thanks for the help.

Tej

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  8. Merlin The Wizzard

Again, then? :laugh::laugh:

9. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

Haha... wow, did it again. Ok, this is what I'm envisioning for my character:
    20 Spear Mastery
    20 Berserk
    20 Battle Orders
    20 Shout
    1 Battle Command, Inc. Stam & Speed, Iron Skin, Leap Attack
    4 Natural Resistance
    1 in all other prereqs and rest into Howl

Hopefully it will turn out ok. :smiley:

10. NagisaFurukawa

Suggestion: 20 War Cry. 1 Shout.

Keep in mind that Berserk sets your defenses to zero, meaning Shout will do little good, except as a meager synergy. War Cry provides you with crowd control, something you desperately need with a single target attack and 0 defense.

11. Merlin The Wizzard

Truly. Also, steer clear from pumping Natural Resistance unless you know what kind of gear you will have. No use spending points here when your equipment will cover any resistance deficiancy :p Besides, the return for skill point investment sharply banks of after 1-2 points.

Certainly max warcry. Another great skill for this build (or for any bar build I guess) is howl. But if you plan to use it, make sure to sink some hard points in there. I am not sure what the formula is, but the effect of howl is measured againast something like Charactler lvl + howl skill lvl vs Monster lvl. I have tried and liked Grim Ward as well, but if you choose to go for one, dont go for the other.

12. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

Ok, I'll switch the points from Shout to War Cry.. I was only doing it for the synergy, but if it doesn't make much of a difference, then its not worth it. The reason I was pumping Natural Resistance is cause I'm playing completely untwinked as this is my first single player character. And since I probably won't be mfing much with this build, I don't see me finding too much resistance gear. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tej

13. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Why not use Zeal? Get a big hurty spear, make the Passion runeword in it, and go have fun. There's a good chance that you can find the runes you need for this before you get too far, and if you don't, I can happily send them your way. With a few +all skills, you'll get the Zeal up to slvl 4+ (for five attacks), and Spear Mastery will make up for the lack of a hurtier pig-sticker. Toss in a Might merc for more damage, a bit of mana leech or some mana-per-kill gear to keep your blue ball topped up, and whatever life leech you've got (remember that Zeal is not interruptible). You don't even have to put a hard point in Berserk for PI/IM issues, since it's baked into the Passion runeword (but you'll need to be careful in the Chaos Sanctuary in Normal, as it will be before you can use the runeword). Perhaps a barb helm with +Berserk will help if you're looking to save skills.

With a build like this, most of your points could go into passives and BO, as you wouldn't need them for your main attack. A side benefit is that if you have/find a Wolfhowl, you could easily switch to being a wolfbarb later on, since you won't have wasted skills in the combat tree.

14. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

Well, I hadn't thought of Zeal, but it sounds like a really good idea. I don't have any of the runes because this is my first character, but it seems like it shouldn't be that hard of a recipe to make. I've already put some points in the combat tree but not enough to affect the possibility of this build I think. Where would you suggest spending the points not put in berserk? I don't think any of the passives are really worth puttin more points than what I was talking about doing earlier..

15. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

Does mana leech not work with Berserk? I have 7% ml and it kills my mana so fast that I think the leech isn't working at all... I can use concentrate with only 3% ml and my mana will stay full and berserk is only twice the cost of concentrate (4 to 2 respectively). Anybody know?

16. NagisaFurukawa

Leech doesn't work with Berserk. How do you counteract this? Lots of potions or Damage Taken Goes to Mana.

17. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Since Berserk does not deal physical damage, neither life nor mana leech work with it.

Also, I'd suggest 10 Howl/10 Warcry instead of 20 Warcry. Howl is much less mana intensive, needs to be recast less often, benefits more from increased investment (the stun time gained with extra skill points in Warcry is pitiful, and Howl's chance of working depends a fair bit on skill level if you're lower level than the monsters), and I find it more useful for separating bosses from their packs. Just Howl and send the minions all running away instead of constantly having to refresh the stun from Warcry. Oh, and Howl has a damage synergy with Berserk. Don't get me wrong, Warcry is still useful, but if you're only getting one or two hits in between casts (likely with relatively slow 2-handed weapons), I find it's far too costly for regular use.

Of course, Howl has the drawback of making you chase everyone down that got scattered, but Howl+Taunt is a nice combination to give you some crowd control for a fraction of Warcry's mana cost.

Even if you plan on making a Passion R/W, there's no guarantee that you'll find the runes you need for it, so I'd say you should still invest some in Berserk, but maybe do something like only taking it to skill level 10 and putting the other 10 points into Howl or Warcry.

18. Tejadia

Tejadia IncGamers Member

I just killed Diablo in Normal P1 and died about 30 times in the process because everytime Diablo would spam the pink lightning and its pretty much insta-death. I'm reconsidering the berserker build now that I realize it doesn't leech, maybe a concentrate build would be better? Guess I need to make up my mind soon though because I'm about at the point where I'll have to start pumpin up my main skill.

19. NagisaFurukawa

How are you resistances and how big is your life pool? Also, are you trying to dodge his elemental attacks, or are you just tanking them? If you pay close attention, you'll notice that Diablo goes through different motions for different attacks. Get ready to dodge his fire and lightning spells when he's about to use them.

30 times? lol. Press "m" and screenshot please. =P.

It's up to you what build you want to do. Don't let us influence you too much.

20. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

If you use your warcries Berserk is just as safe as Concentrate and it simply does a lot more damage (an unsynergized Zerk does about the same damage as a fully synergized Conc!). I see concentrate as not much more than a beefed up normal attack. You max BO anyway, so you can always use it as MI solution when you need it.

Don't let Normal Diablo set you back; he is probably the toughest Act Boss in the game. In NM and Hell you can avoid his lightning hose by standing really close to him and most Act Bosses allow for little or even no leech anyway in the higher difficulties.

Not having to look for leech can also be seen as a benefit. Going untwinked melee with the weapon type already fixed poses enough problems as it is.