Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My new light trap sin is rockin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hew, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Hew

Hew IncGamers Member

My new light trap sin is rockin

So im playing SP HC , and i thought id make a light trapsin. First one ive made (relative newbie) and i am playing untwinked. Just beat Baal at lvl 32.. pretty stoked, my merc is pretty weak, and i dont even have the runeword mod. Oh yah, and i sunk 5 points into dragon claw before i decided i was gonna go trapper, and that was after i accidentally used my respec at lvl 5 lmao:crazyeyes:, so with 5 points wasted, traps were definately not as powerful. But man this sin is pretty cool, cant wait for later lvls :thumbup:

i love the traps for HC play. gonna have to figure out how to break immunes later, will definately save my hell act1 respec till i get it all figured out :O)

anywayz stoked as hell, D2 still rocks even though i discovered it almost 10 years late :whistling:

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: My new light trap sin is rockin

Breaking lite immunes is usually done with Infinity - but it won't break all immunes. You'd need some heavy duty gear for your merc like that later down the line anyway.

Would recommend a kick/trapper for HC for both versatility (physical+poison in kicks) as well as overall survivability. I strongly recommend taking a look at the sin forum and posting in there for additional input.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie IncGamers Member

Glad there's still new people trying this game.

Good luck with this and future chars.

4. Hew

Hew IncGamers Member

yah went to Sin forum first, but mostly looks like people playing neither HC or SP...definately will post there though. i just automatically gravitate to this forum or hardcore forum..:coffee:

5. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I'd like to know how we got from untwinked in the first post to an infinity suggestion in the second, seriously, think before posting stuff like that...

Anyway, Fire blast is a great tool for dealing with light immunes, it will cost you a little damage though as you need to take some points out of a synergy to get it.

You may want to level up a little too, 32 is really low for killing Baal, I normally aim for about 40-45.

And welcome to Diablo, better late than never!

6. mrsplifferton

mrsplifferton IncGamers Member

My light trapper just died MFing Meph in NM. My best advice is to be CAUTIOUS in hc. Throw some traps in the corners of your screen to see if enemies are off screen, Mind Blast can help save your merc when he's being swarmed (or in general, great 1 point ability).

As for dealing with immunities, I have a suggestion, get blade fury (another great 1 point skill) and perhaps a weapon with 'Strength' or 'Black' runeword which will give you crushing blow (even untwinked you should be able to find an 'amn' ruin). Kill one enemy and lay a Death Sentry, not the fastest way to do things and if you can't kill a single enemy with your merc/blade fury than you are out of luck.

If this is terrible advice, please let me know, it's how I've been playing....and my assassin is now dead (more due to my feeling that my lit trapsin was invincible and could kill anything faster than they could kill me, which is a terrible mindset to have in hc)

7. ancalagon the black

ancalagon the black IncGamers Member

Fireblast is awesome, and can deal with immunities by itself. I love trappers, and when I make them, I use fireblast as a main attack through most of normal.

Blade Fury can be good, but make sure you're using something with knockback on it. At only one point and untwinked, it won't kill fast, but it can push dangerous things like Hephasto off of the screen.

Like mrsplifferton said, be careful. The fastest way to die in HC is to believe that you're invincible.

And good luck.

8. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

+1 to Fire Blast. It's really all about getting the first few corpses, and then Death Sentry can clean up on its own. That's why a strong merc is also important.

9. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

A healthy investment in the lightning traps combined with 18-20 points in fire blast should give you no problems for full-clearing hell. Cloak of Shadows and Mind Blast are critical for survival. Use them liberally (mind you there is a bug that can crash the game if you use cloak of shadows during the ancients battle - anyone know if that was fixed in the last patch?). I would also recommend an investment in shadow master, she is a versatile and powerful summon (although she will override your traps, which is annoying).

A trap assassin is a great starter character; take it slow and check out some of the guides in the stickies for tips on hardcore and self-found/single-pass play.

10. SeCKSEgai

Actually I did think - the whole point was that breaking immunes isn't done without special gear, hence why I ALSO mentioned going kick/trap so as to have an alternative source of damage...

11. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

Another vote for leveling up. The first area of act5 (Bloody Foothills) and Eldritch (right after the Frigid Highlands Waypoint) will give you a lot of experience until level 38, at least. Then you can switch to running Baal until lvl 45. It will be worth it for your ability to survive:)

And it seems like you don`t play on players8 considering you low level, so you can press enter, then type in /players8 and press enter again to simulate 8 players in the game. That will give you a ton of experience. Sorry if this is too basic, but better safe than sorry;) Well, you can use any number between 1-8 for that command, so you can test how much stronger monsters you can handle.

I think Fire Blast is by far the most solid choice when you`re playing HC untwinked and are relatively new to the game. The most dangerous Lightning Immune you will face are Burning Souls, and good luck running to them and start kicking if you aren`t relatively experienced. It will work if you use Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows, but you might also face lightning immune frenzytaurs, which will make your assassin cry blood if you aren`t careful. Burst of Speed and running away while throwing Fire Blast at them when you have a solid gap between your assasin and them is a rather easy way to deal with those.

Cast Cloak of Shadows first when ecountering those nasty Burning Souls. That will make them blind and they won`t use their lightning attack, making them an easy target for your molotov cocktails. Cloak of Shadows also turns of Shamans and mummies` ability to resurrect Flayers/Fallen/Undead etc and the dangerous Inferno attack from the Shaman`s in Act3. It doesn`t work on Champions/Bosses and random unique monsters, though. Both Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows are really great crowd control skills and should be abused.

Have fun and good luck! Great to see a new player after all these years:)

12. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Breaking immunes isn't about having 'special gear', it's about tailoring your character to do the job. If you are twinked and rune rich, get an Infinity, if you are playing untwinked pick a second source of damage.

Personally, I wouldn't use kicks, it is easier to stack +skills and res gear than it is to get that and a few nice melee modifiers on your gear at the same time. Fireblast lets you stay at range too, so using CoS and a merc you should be nice and safe at all times.

13. SeCKSEgai

Actually, breaking immunes requires specific gear, albeit not necessarily infinity, as a lower resist wand on switch for example can serve the same purpose.

Using alternative damage sources is not the "breaking" of an immune. If I come across a fire immune and use lightning sentry, I'm not breaking its fire immunity. If I come across a light immune and use fireblast, I'm not breaking its light immunity.

Fireblast is ideal for a pure trapper, and pretty solid for untwinked as it synergizes with all real traps. It is easier to setup, but fireblast isn't without its problems. Depending on the distance of your target, the fly/float time has a significant impact on killing speed. When gearing up for melee (ie dtalon), a character won't be so squishy (something to always keep in mind in HC) while still allowing you to primarily use traps and still giving you an option against the fire/light immune spawns.

But I agree, fireblast is generally safer since the idea is to stay out of direct confrontation.

14. Hew

Hew IncGamers Member

wow, alot to chew on, thanks for all the input, its greatly appreciated. after reading several guides, im starting to understand the importance of fireblast as most of you stated. it just seemed so simple a skill, i never even considered it really.
    as far as experience playing as a sin, only one way to get it :) get out there and get my hands dirty:smug:
    yah i dont see "infinity" anywhere in my near future as this is my highest HC char and my highest rune found yet is a sol heh ..
    well thx again for the advice , players8 now, and clvl 48 so far pretty smooth:wave:

15. ancalagon the black

ancalagon the black IncGamers Member

True, but tactics can mitigate this a lot. If you throw them a short distance away (or at your feet), then the fly time is very short. If you have a group of LIs running at you, start tossing them a short distance away without namelocking anything. If you overshoot, no problem, just adjust the cursor over your feet.

If you see something a long ways away, and they haven't seen you yet, you can just toss a bunch in the general vicinity, basically carpet-bombing the area. Sure, they could move out of the way, but often they won't.

LIFIs aren't a big problem. They're rare enough that you'll almost always have a pile of corpses nearby for DS to work on.