My new Greatest experience as a Dad. [Bragging]

skihard

Banned
My new Greatest experience as a Dad. [Bragging]

So my son is a hockey player. Actually for his age and size he is a very good hockey player and will be playing in a higher age bracket next year instead of the one he would normally be in.

Anyhow, my son played his first hockey game in Joe Louis Arena. For those that don’t know JLA is where the Detroit Red Wings play hockey. Well yesterday our team had a game in the afternoon and then 5 of our kids were involved in a shoot out during the first intermission of the Wings – Dallas Stars game last night.

So in front of about 15,000 screaming fans my son scored his first goal in an official NHL game net, was on the big score board, was cheered by all the fans when he scored as if he were a Red Wings player, and made me one of the happiest people in the building that night.

What was even more awesome was that when we were leaving my son had to pull his bag to the parking garage and the entire way people were cheering him, asking for his autograph, calling him the “shoot out kingâ€, all kinds of neat things like that. For me that was amazing, even better than meeting Mike Babcock the Wings coach and Steve Yzerman the former captain of the Red Wings while waiting to go from one spot of JLA to the next.

[/End Bragging]

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
Remember this when he wrecks the car - again.

Allow me to give the lad a virtual "hearty-thump-on-the-back" and add another for dad. :thumbsup:

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
Thats pretty cool. I was watching the game last night on TV. Its a shame they did not show this though, they very rarely do.

PS. Is it true that NHL ice sucks compared to local rinks?

skihard

Banned
the building was sold out (20,165) but with no-show-season-ticket-holders and those that try to beat the toilet rush the Red Wings attendant we had with us all day said that the estimate of actual people watching and cheering during the kids shoot out is around 15k. Oddly as I walked out on the ice to take up my spot with the video camera I didn't notice anyone in the stands until the first gaol was scored and then I flinched it was so loud.

Thats pretty cool. I was watching the game last night on TV. Its a shame they did not show this though, they very rarely do.

PS. Is it true that NHL ice sucks compared to local rinks?
the kids said the ice was very fast and it showed during our game, walking across it in the afternoon I was amazed at how smooth it was so I'd say that is not true (at least at JLA).

I was told however that in the past some arenas mixed a flat paint in with the water when they resurface before the game and at intermission because it reduces the glare of the lights on the ice. I guess that a lot of arenas no longer have to do that because they've angled the lights so they shine at the first few rows of seats so there is no direct lighting on the ice surface. Anyhow that paint used to make the ice slow and chip easier.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
'grats to him.

Is this part of your master plan for him to become a top ranked NHL player so you can retire in luxury? :wink2:

skihard

Banned
'grats to him.

Is this part of your master plan for him to become a top ranked NHL player so you can retire in luxury? :wink2:
This is part of my plan to get him a free ride to college (any college) so that he doesn't have to go into the Army (like I did) unless he wants to. If he makes it to the NHL I just wants season tickets included in his contract.

It is also part of my plan to teach him that he is part of something beyond himself, that dedication and hard work has benefits, and that as long as he tries at what he does we'll always love him and be happy with him.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool opportunity for him, how did he get chosen/qualify for it?

For the person who asked about the ice, the older buildings in the older NHL cities have good ice. Some of the new buildings, and areas like florida (big surprise) have incredibly ****ty ice.

Dutch

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
So, how did he get a game in the Joe anyway?

I was just questioning the ice because I know the NYR rink sucks because of how often they melt it for concerts and such, and the fact they NHL rinks are huge, as in thousands of seats. Ive heard that because of their size its hard to keep the ice as cold and skates tend to dig into the ice more.

skihard

Banned
He got the opportunity to play the game there because as one of the coaches for his team I filled out all the paper work to get the team to go for "youth hockey at the Joe". Since they allow 4 skaters and a goalie to take to the ice at intermission I asked for volunteers, but didn't say for what, the people that volunteered had their child in the shoot out. the Arena then picks 4 skaters from those that are not in the shoot out to "high five" the Red Wings as they come out for the pre-game warm up skate. so 9 out of the 11 kids got something "special" for the day, and all of them were given Red Wings loot from the organization (posters, pins, Wings towel, Wings water bottle, and a couple other things, oh and the memory).

Another thing about the Ice, that I've learned from the rink manager where we skate. The longer ice is down the more "brittle" it is and more likely to chip, but if the ice isn't made slowly it can also be "soft" and allow huge cuts to be taken out. Arena ice is only 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Most arena's have insulated boards they put down over the ice when they have non ice events, the boards can cause ice to have uneven temperature spots which can weaken the ice. If interested go here for a story on how Ice is put down on the Rink

skihard

Banned
sorry this is a resurrection but...

Just because I want to be that guy who brags up his kid, I’ve attached a shot of my son scoring a goal during the first intermission of the Detroit Red Wings – Dallas Stars game on November 27th 2006. He took it way left then game back right and shot it in the net about 10†or so off the ice, the goalie didn’t have a chance. Then as he raised his stick the approximately 15,000 fans still sitting in their seats let out a roar and cheered his goal.

Anyhow that is the story of the bragging dad.

Z-Suijin

Diabloii.Net Member
So my son is a hockey player. Actually for his age and size he is a very good hockey player and will be playing in a higher age bracket next year instead of the one he would normally be in.

Anyhow, my son played his first hockey game in Joe Louis Arena. For those that don’t know JLA is where the Detroit Red Wings play hockey. Well yesterday our team had a game in the afternoon and then 5 of our kids were involved in a shoot out during the first intermission of the Wings – Dallas Stars game last night.

So in front of about 15,000 screaming fans my son scored his first goal in an official NHL game net, was on the big score board, was cheered by all the fans when he scored as if he were a Red Wings player, and made me one of the happiest people in the building that night.

What was even more awesome was that when we were leaving my son had to pull his bag to the parking garage and the entire way people were cheering him, asking for his autograph, calling him the “shoot out kingâ€, all kinds of neat things like that. For me that was amazing, even better than meeting Mike Babcock the Wings coach and Steve Yzerman the former captain of the Red Wings while waiting to go from one spot of JLA to the next.

[/End Bragging]

That is something els right there, I could only imagine how proud you were.

Z-Sui

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Wait a minute... how old are you? I thought about 35 or something... and how many kids again? How old are they?

Man, you two really got cracking.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
sorry this is a resurrection but...

Just because I want to be that guy who brags up his kid, I’ve attached a shot of my son scoring a goal during the first intermission of the Detroit Red Wings – Dallas Stars game on November 27th 2006. He took it way left then game back right and shot it in the net about 10†or so off the ice, the goalie didn’t have a chance. Then as he raised his stick the approximately 15,000 fans still sitting in their seats let out a roar and cheered his goal.

Anyhow that is the story of the bragging dad.

oh that's pretty great, nice to see a picture of it too

intermission activities are always fun to watch, I like it when they let the kids play out there, it's fun for everybody

I also saw Jimmie Kimmel playing goal against some kids back when he was Jimmie the Sports Guy on KROQ, that was fun

Nolecub

Diabloii.Net Member
That is just freaking awsome. I can only hope my sons will be able to experience a moment like that. Imagine the stories his grandkids will hear!!

Anyway, can I get a signed rookie card from him???

Wait a minute... how old are you? I thought about 35 or something... and how many kids again? How old are they?

Man, you two really got cracking.
Yes, Ski is 35. 4 kids--11 yr old daughter from my first marriage, 7 yr old son, 6 yr old daughter, 2 yr old daughter