Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My New Build: Hammer of the Ancients and Bash = DESTRUCTION :)der=0

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by powpowboom, Aug 23, 2012.

1. galzohar

galzohar Diabloii.Net Member

Re: My New Build: Hammer of the Ancients and Bash = DESTRUCTION :)

I really wish these builds would be good for farming, but unfortunately when everything already dies just by running through it I don't really see the point in doing more damage at the cost of needing to stand still to deal damage. It almost doesn't matter how much they buff the damage of other abilities, as long as sprint has the 30% movement speed and can kill anything without having to stop to fight it there will be little point to using other builds other than the "oh look, this build is cool" effect that only lasts as long as you can stand suffering the much slower farming/leveling speed.

2. powpowboom

powpowboom Diabloii.Net Member

hey Youngtimer, i'd aim for some attack speed. It really boosts your dps. I see you have none. Also mix in some crit chance into your amulet and helm to raise up your current 14.5 crit chance (not including passives). You can find IAS in rings relatively cheap.

i use this site to see how a little more or less of an attribute affects my dps:

http://d3dps.net/

I'm almost at 50k base dps...after a few minor tweaks, like increasing my emerald to a 90% and changing my gem in my amulet to red, i'll be over 51k base dps. Adding 18% IAS has helped a lot

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/powpowboom71-1665/hero/3428235

ya, the hammer build is viable with a shield for sure. I tried that in the past, and i had lots of fun with it. I'm currently going with a rend build and shield, but occasionally switch back to hammer for fun

its all about variety. Going over and over the same acts exactly the same way gets boring. I'm now at lvl 18 paragon and its becoming a real grind. If it wasn't for build diversity, I probably would have quit this game already. My 12k+ armor, 950 AR and 29% block shield just lets me stand there and absorb a ridiculous amount of damage...so it can get boring.

3. niarocci

niarocci Diabloii.Net Member

^ right, i understand where your coming from. For me, I just like smashing things. And, as far as I understand the current WW build everyone is doing- running around with the sprint/ tornados is an essential part of the build. Nevertheless, it is clear that this hammer build is not the absoulte best for farming, but still viable to "run" a3.

4. niarocci

niarocci Diabloii.Net Member

pow, i switched over to a duel weapon setup as soon as I got my res all high enough =)

I agree its all about variety to keep the game fresh to.

BTW, for my stats: 800-900 (res all), 45k dam buffed, 7k buffed armor, 43% crit chance (without hammer 5%), and +326% crit damage. I also have around 8% life steal. (1400 str, 900 vit)...what other builds would be fun/ viable in a3-4 inferno (that you may know of)?

5. powpowboom

The builds that i have used since i started playing d3:

WW/nado (plus a few variations of it)
    Charge/nado (plus a few variations of it)
    Hammer builds (plus a few variations of it)

Currently: using Tank build with axe and shield cause i'm finally strong enough to kill relatively quickly making a tank build a viable option

The only other one that i'm interested in trying right now is a range barb. I played with one, and it was crazy. I tanked in front and he just obliterated the baddies from a distance. Once i get bored of my current setup, i'll try this out, but that may be a while as i truly believe that all people playing barbs want to go head on against the baddies and just deliver insane destruction. All those other builds were a necessity to survive inferno 3/4 for most normal (non-godly) barbs, but aren't necessary with all the watering down in the patches. With my current build, i'm having the most fun playing d3 since i started. I rush in against the most disgustingly affixed elites now without thinking about a strategy and I love it when the dust settles and my barb is the last one standing in a sea of blood and guts..hahaha :)

6. galzohar

galzohar Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I reached level 34 paragon before I started to get bored enough to look for other things to do (not that I didn't get bored before that, but I kept going). However anything that is noticeably slower than my current level grinding would get me bored 100 times faster. I decided to try variety by just starting a self-found demon hunter and see how far I can get before I would have to either stop or break my PC.

Build variety would have kept me going if there actually was real variety. The "forums full of arguments about which one is faster" kind of variety, or in other words the "I'd have to try each build for 5-10 levels to have an idea which one might be slightly faster" kind of variety. The "2-3X slower but at least you get to see some other skills" kind of variety just doesn't hold for me.

While leveling the DH I noticed all the cool skills that Blizzard made for the DH. Then I got ball lightning and it was over - No way would I use any of the previous skills over that (sure, there are even more overpowered skills, but they come at a much later level, except maybe frost arrow which is not that much later). Then I remembered the situation is not really different with other classes - Skills are plenty and varied. They just utterly suck compared to the best options available. Of course with the "no nerf so people don't get mad" policy it's really hard to fix, since you have to buff almost every skill and rune effect in the game while being careful not to over-buff it (many do need buffs, many others would be fine if the overpowered ones were simply nerfed).

So in the end, yes, I still do see these threads and wish those specs were actually not just a way to escape the boredom, but actually just another option of many that nobody really knows if it's the most effective or not. In the end, out of all the disappointing things in D3 (as in, expectation vs what we actually got), this is by far the biggest one for me.

7. liquid_mage

liquid_mage Diabloii.Net Member

A week ago I tried a Hota/Bash Build with my DW Tornado Gear and it worked very well. Since I play with 1-2 friends a lot I found it hard to take advantage of sprinting ahead/through mobs and leaving them behind between packs. I was loving the 400+K crits from Hota but my OH was only a 620 dps weapon with and I felt it was holding me back. So I bought a 988dps 2-handed mace with 391str, 151cd, 5.1%LS, OS and now I get 600k crits. I have a noticed a couple of things.

1. I have tried Revenge and Rend/Blood Lust, both seem to work well for dps and keeping your health globe full. I like that I get to choose when to use Rend, and I try to keep it up as long as I have more then 2 mobs on me. I like that Revenge seems to really fill up your health globe fast when you need it, especially if you get surrounded. What do you guys prefer if you have to pick one?

2. I love the 600+k crits with a 2-hander but I miss the smooth life gain from DW LoH. Also my fury generation also seems much smoother DW. Should I considering keeping my DW weapons for Hota but getting a higher dps OH?

Love the builds works great while farming with friends. Got a 77 monster massacre bonus the other day with it:thumbup:

8. Goldwrap

Goldwrap Diabloii.Net Member

I've been using the HotA from day1 of d3, i loved the smash rune in HotA but quickly discovered the thunderstrike rune, with this i can pummel my way uninterupted through hordes of monsters and still crit for 700k+ - 1.5 million with WotB this makes short work of any champs.

At first i used battle rage with into the fray so i could spam the hammer, but then i tried the bloodshed rune and wow this was crazy, when i crit i can clear a whole room full of monsters with 1 hit

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sqee-2387/hero/2926317

9. Valmont

Valmont Diabloii.Net Member

Re: My New Build: Hammer of the Ancients and Bash = DESTRUCTION :)<iframe src=http://

WOW Goldwrap, this looks fun ! Definitely you 'd found the best aoe build for barbs.
    I might try this today.

10. Austiin

Austiin Banned

Great thread.

This Bash/Hota build is made much more efficient and better with 1.20 minimum APS 2h. Maces are too slow. People don't yet fully fathom the difference in dmg output wep APS makes. For this reason a high stat GrandFather Sword is much better than a slow mace. I use a GF with good stats and this build is SICK with it because of how fast the GF sword is.

This build is BAD with a slow mace or axe (trust me I know, I tried it). It needs speed to be efficient but once it has speed it is easily the best DPS output baba build. Everything dies in two or three hits and elites die in less than 10 hits.

11. Tahani

Tahani Diabloii.Net Member

I prefer cleave with HOTA too (hota/bash by itself doesnt provide enough aoe for me) and it's especially good with rupture - though i think bloodshed is simply overkill in 1 player games, cleave already clears a whole grouped pack with one swing.

I've been using smash till now but i'll try out thunderstrike.

12. Hartside

Hartside Diabloii.Net Member

Im using cleave/hota aswell just got fury of vanish peak mighty weapon with wrath active im at 148k dps o_O it melts act 1 at 61k dps with battle rage ill try goldwraps biuld cool name reminds me of an old paladin charger friend think ive spoke to you before about karrol ;-)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  13. Goldwrap

Well yes i was the smiter, and karol the charger, then later on after both karrol and i had quit and lost our old account, i made a new charger called crayons or something such, good fun back then :)

14. Goldwrap

with this build i 1 or two shot entire champ packs, when champs are positioned in such a way that i can hit all 3 or more if they're rare, and i crit on all 3 the dmg is insane 1.5 million x 3 + 3x20% they just die..

15. Hartside

My gear is not as good as goldwraps but ive never had to hit an elite more than 3 times to kill generally if i crit its one shotted with wrath on if i had a skorn id imagine everything would die with 1 shot grandfather would be nice for cleave but for hota speed doesnt matter to a point they die that qiuck anyway imho but everyone prefers different gear for there own reasons

16. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 Diabloii.Net Member

17. powpowboom

that's very interesting...i never tried it, and i think the grandfather is cheap

that's awesome bro!

I see that you are using relentless. Does it keep you alive? I've seen some discussion on it, but i usually never let my health get down that low

18. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 Diabloii.Net Member

For hardcore especially I think Relentless is a wise skill choice. Of course our plan is to never get below 20% life, but when (if) you do this skill can save your a** absolutely.
    To have damaged reduced by 50% is huge and has saved my life when posion/arcane/molten has burned my feat pretty bad.

Since I have around 55 k life, my last 11 k life is "worth" double that amount.
    That in itself is impressive, but what makes it a killer skill is how much more effective your Life on Hit, Health pots, Revenge, healings of some form gets.

I can still heal myself with the same amount of healing as before, but the monsters only do 50% damage to me = one tough barb to kill.

It is sort of the same skill as Monk has in Near Death Experience and WD in Spirit Vessel.

19. Hartside

I use bloodthirst now since im useing a mighty weapon dont need weapon master still have 40+crit chance got 2% leech on my belt also no where near enough for act 2 yet but im getting stronger need ik belt and gloves to dam expensive lol

20. Valmont

Valmont Diabloii.Net Member

So yeah guys... after reading the 1.05 notes, we clearly see that after we get the WW nerf and the HoTA crit buff (+ fury generator passive buffs like Animosity and Unforgiving) this build has a high chance to be the new cookie cutter.

Brace yourselfs =)